Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda Waste: “Service Charge”

Options
  • 03-03-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

My latest Panda Waste invoice contains a charge (more than half the bill total) for €64 itemised as a Service Charge.

This charge is in addition to black, brown and green bin lift charges itemised on the bill, as well as bin wash charges.

So, what is this €64.00 “service charge” for?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Dinarius wrote: »
    My latest Panda Waste invoice contains a charge (more than half the bill total) for €64 itemised as a Service Charge.

This charge is in addition to black, brown and green bin lift charges itemised on the bill, as well as bin wash charges.

So, what is this €64.00 “service charge” for?

Thanks.

D.

Seems like it's a service charge

Did you ask Panda Waste what the charge was for? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The honour of them collecting your bins. All operators charge something normally.

They don't want to go to 100% lift charges as it provides zero certainty of income and no idea of who is still an active customer and likely to put their bins out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

There certainly getting moody about the green bin watch what you have on top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think this the norm with all the operators - it's a "standing charge" whether you get anything collected or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Just got a shocking Panda bill there; €169 of which €86 was 'service charge' for the year included. WTF?
    Looks like I paid it last year too, though it wasn't bundle with lift charges then so it didn't seem so bad.
    I recycle everything that can be, have my own compost for non-cooked food, and I wash my own bloody brown bin (no dig intended OP), christ that's a lot. Pretty much no other provider serves this area (Sandyford Village) either, so there are two choices, Panda or go eff yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Very odd they have zero pricing on there website, from memory an average green bin costs about 2 euro to empty and a heavy black bin costs about 10 euro per empty. (average)
    Then on top are your annual service charges. Shame there is no pay as you go option.
    You could always bring all your recyclables to your local recycle center but it would be time consuming and messy. And Probably not cost efficient as it is only 2 quid a lift for recycle bin.
    If im right the brown bin is free of charge to collect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I pay 22 euro a month service charge to Greyhound in Dublin. That covers 2 black bin lifts a month with an allowance of 42kg total. It also covers 2 green bin and 2 brown bin lifts.

I make that to be just over a fiver a week or 260 euro per year.

I think they do a service charge, then a price per kilo lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

L1011 wrote: »
    They don't want to go to 100% lift charges as it provides zero certainty of income and no idea of who is still an active customer and likely to put their bins out

in theory they could run a route, and pay staff and vehicle costs etc, and no-one puts out their bin for collection.

now if you are the council it doesn't matter because the costs are paid for by the taxpayer.

If you are a private company that is not acceptable, and it is fair to say there is a cost to provide the service, even if the customer does not avail of it this week.

Furthermore 100% lift charges would penalise larger households, as with the best will in world six people make more waste than 3. The underlying cost to run the service does not change based on the volume of waste, and the larger household would in that case be subsidising the smaller to some degree.
    EG 3 lads wages and road tax/insurance /diesel etc is the same regardless of if you put out your bin or not!

So i think a service charge and a cost per lift is fairer than either a flat fee or 100% pay by lift model.

Advertisement