Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong with places like Ballymun, Jobstown, Darndale etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Its true.

Be sensible.

Which areas have more youth disturbances??

Tallaght ballymun etc or Blackrock??

How many teens shoot or stab people in blackrock?

It's accepted poorer communities suffer more with drug use and crime. You put a few Blackrock families on the same income, social supports in the middle of Tallaght for a few years and then let me know.
    If everyone you know went to university and are all reasonably comfortable financially, it's less likely you'll be sniffing glue at the back of a lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Dorakman wrote: »
    Was it government policy or something else?

They're full of people from places like Ballymun, Darndale, Jobstown etc....that's the main problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ever been to Tallaght at Halloween? It’s like Rise of the Valkyrie.

Doesnt need to be Halloween. Bus services dont get stopped for nothing. And there was quite a bit of that not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Unless you have family who live there or you have lived there what the heck do you know?

I have to agree. I saw someone mentioned "African" gangs but none of areas named in the thread title have "African" gangs. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

My cousins live there. Yes i have as a kid. I thought there was a some great battle on.

My mom and dad would leave me with them for the weekend if they went away. I am not gonna lie i sometimes got up to some stuff. (harmless)

Railway street this Halloween, a gang of 200 vulnerable youths constructed a massive bonfire and started pelting fireworks onto people’s balconies. Sure there da salt a da earth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

My mom and dad would leave me with them for the weekend if they went away. I am not gonna lie i sometimes got up to some stuff. (harmless)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bowie wrote: »
    It's accepted poorer communities suffer more with drug use and crime. You put a few Blackrock families on the same income, social supports in the middle of Tallaght for a few years and then let me know.

No one is saying otherwise.

I am not a snob. Chill...i respect people from all backgrounds.

Its just true though. I am even a bit affectionate about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Gubberment happened.

And lack of playgrounds for the feral kids don’t ya know ..

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have to agree. I saw someone mentioned "African" gangs but none of areas named in the thread title have "African" gangs. :(

Jobstown and CityWest nobody knows were one ends and the other starts.

And I assure you there are African gangs there.

Gubberment happened.

And lack of playgrounds for the feral kids don’t ya know ..

“Shur da angles hav nower to play football. It’s a bleedin disgrace so it is!”

• Advertisement

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok you got me ..some of my cousins are insane. but only two have drug convictions.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Feral adults having feraler children having feralerer children.

Jobstown and CityWest nobody knows were one ends and the other starts.

There is also the labyrinth that is blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ok you got me ..some of my cousins are insane. but only two have drug convictions.:)

Nobody cares, you absolute fruit and nut bar.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Feral adults having feraler children having feralerer children.
    Im feral and proud!

What did you do anyway rob cars blow up cats?:P

I was a good little boy.:pac:

Total politics.

Bradshaw Report of 1982/83.

It said people take drugs because they felt disempowered, so the report recommended counselling, involvement from the church, and to treat addicts like sick people.

You can find a .PDF link here: https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/5060/

The report was buried and not acted on and the govt of the time instead said that, "It cannot however, be too strongly stressed that in this area, above all others it is individual decision which counts most. The decision not to experiment with hard drugs is one any individual can make before he becomes hooked."

Skankey see , skankey do.

I grew up amongst the feral in a council estate in Blighty...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Putting a bunch of permanent jobseekers in large numbers into one area breeds crime. You get fellas growing up with a parent who does not work so cannot provide for them, then they see the local scumbags driving good cars, plenty of money etc so they decide to follow suit. Unfortunately some who try to follow will like drugs too much and will take instead of sell.

Now I am not bashing council estates, I am only bashing the small minority in these places who cause trouble.

If councils and TULSA did their jobs and identify scumbag parents quicker these areas would not have such chronic amounts of crime

Identify "scumbag" parents (but only from council estates) and then what? Remove their children? Yeah, great plan. Cant see any potential problems stemming from that policy at all. Australia and canada did just great with their similar policies against indigenous people didnt they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

The problem is the people in those areas blame everyone else for all their problems. As has been said there is a severe lack of personal responsibility.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    True they don't.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Identify "scumbag" parents (but only from council estates) and then what? Remove their children? Yeah, great plan. Cant see any potential problems stemming from that policy at all

In fairness, a kid who grows up fostered, has a much better chance than a kid with a couple of junkies for parents.

True they don't.

They do though don’t they though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Gardai would disagree with you.

What did you do anyway rob cars blow up cats?:P

I was a good little boy.:pac:

I watched people rob cars. I stole doors and set fire to them.:pac:

I watched people rob cars. I stole doors and set fire to them.:pac:

Were you a joyviber?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In fairness, a kid who grows up fostered, has a much better chance than a kid with a couple of junkies for parents.

They really dont. The "care" system in Ireland and pretty much everywhere else is a massive failure with extremely poor outcomes for children

They do though don’t they though.

No ...dublin west does. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Building huge housing estates miles away from the city centre with poor transport, poor/no recreational facilities and lack of general infrastructure all contribute to a sense of abandonment. Drugs also don't help. These estates get a name and it's residents subsequently can find it hard to move up the social ladder, if so inclined.

• Advertisement

Were you a joyviber?
    One of my cousins put me on a tiny stolen bike when i was 5.

The chain was broken and i could only use it going down hill! :o

Advertisement