Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong with places like Ballymun, Jobstown, Darndale etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Started off been spoiled by getting a free house.

Then it rolls from there.

Lot of decent people lived in them but some people are just scumbags basically and want things for free and blame everyone else when they don't get them.

It actually seems a uniquely Irish thing.

Most people in the world realise the concept of if you want something earn it.

In Ireland there seems to be a growing attitude and cohert that the government must provide you and no questions asked.

Its Baffling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I watched people rob cars. I stole doors and set fire to them.:pac:

Paul Reynolds’s never said
    “The door was found burnt out in darndale “

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Did we bring it to France the UK the US Russia etc etc etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Too many vulnerable people living in close proximity, mass unemployment which only became a feature in the 1980s, grants give to people to buy their own home meaning those who has anything going for themselves left, which meant evey more vulnerable people living beside each other and so on.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Paul Reynolds’s never said
    “The door was found burnt out in darndale “
    That's cuz i know how to cover my tracks! ;)

Plus i reckon if you did it in blackrock the story might gain more traction. Not much goes on there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

mariaalice wrote: »
    Too many vulnerable people living in close proximity, mass unemployment which only became a feature in the 1980s, grants give to people to buy their own home meaning those who has anything going for themselves left, which meant evey more vulnerable people living beside each other and so on.

Define vulnerable.

A few people here could do well and actually read that report.

Dorakman wrote: »
    Define vulnerable.
    Low income. Surrounded by danger either physical or social.Lacking support or protection. Liable to higher penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

During the 70's 80s ....kids would be pulled out of school at 12 13 ...'EDUCATION IS TOO GOOD FOR YOU' 'YOU DREAMER' ..'GET A JOB'.

At 13.

And today there is still this attitude in the education system. Education is too good for some people.

Its designed for middle class kids to thrive in.
    I agree with the first part of your point regarding the 70s and 80s but I'm afraid you are incorrect regarding the latter part. Today any kid that is smart enough and has the drive can go all the way to 3rd level education regardless of their financial situation.

tdf7187 wrote: »

Poverty makes sties.

Leave pigs out of it they have nothing to do with humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dorakman wrote: »
    Was it government policy or something else?

**** planning based on aping our european betters meant they were ****ed from the get go, read up on the genius logic that was behind the building of ballymun and tallaght

Tallaght was build on the assumption that in the town of the future everyone would be driving cars on big motorways so you could build a sprawling estate on halfway up a mountain and it would be grand because people could drive anywhere. Of course they didnt bother their hole buidling all the amenities that the place was meant to have

Ballymun was built because the government wanted a town of the future to keep up with the Joneses in the UK and further afield (that's why it was put beside the airport, to show it off to visitors) right around the time that the Joneses realised the high rise council estates that they'd built were a stupid ****ing idea. Dublin Corporation wanted nothing to do with it, the government foisted it on them, they basically built the houses, the towers and the schools but didnt bother with all the amenties they had planned to build and called it a job. The corpo never wanted the place and so let it go to ruin. You had the largest youth population in Europe at the time with **** all to do, then massive unemployment in the 80s, country almost bankrupt and heroin ran riot, and the place wound up with a high turnover of tenants so any and every knackbag was dumped out to a flat there

Bottom line is that town planners, architects and politicians are c**ts of the highest order who use public money on these projects to indulge their visions of what the future should be, safe in the knowledge that they wont be living there if it all goes a shade dystopian

We're still at it now, this country is ****ing cracked.

Today any kid that is smart enough and has the drive can go all the way to 3rd level education regardless of their financial situation.

-_- spare me.

UCD just increased their rent per month to like 1200 per month in the next few years. That including actual tuition brings education near to some colleges in the states.

I could go on.

If you have to live out of home nine months of the year ...9 grand plus tuition etc ..per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

A few people here could do well and actually read that report.

Somebody on boards reading a report.:D

Somebody on boards reading a report.:D

Especially when it actually answers the OP's question! :D

-_- spare me.

UCD just increased their rent per month to like 1200 per month in the next few years. That including actual tuition brings education near to some colleges in the states.

I could go on.

If you have to live out of home nine months of the year ...9 grand plus tuition etc ..per year.

I'm afraid you are misinformed. What about kids that don't need accommodation? What about the thousands that live at home and go to college. And if you are a low income family your child can get a 3rd level education for zero tuition fees and on top of that there are several monetary grants given throughout the year to support low income families. I'm not making any of this up its all available online if you want to verify. If you can "spare" the time to check

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm afraid you are misinformed. What about kids that don't need accommodation? What about the thousands that live at home and go to college. And if you are a low income family your child can get a 3rd level education for zero tuition fees and on top of that there are several monetary grants given throughout the year to support low income families. I'm not making any of this up its all available online if you want to verify. If you can "spare" the time to check

And let's be honest.

Its a minority who rent this accommodation in colleges.

But of course that's all that's brought up.

I'm afraid to are misinformed. What about kids that don't need accommodation? What about the thousands that live at home and go to college. And if you are a low income family your child can get a 3rd level educations for zero tuition fees and on top of that there are several monetary grants given throughout the year to support low income families. I'm not making any of this up its all available online if you want to verify. If you can "spare" the time to check

What about the kids that do?

What about the kids that don't have parents willing to part with the cash because its a sacrifice but don't meet the means?

What about the kids going to school in schools with no science labs ..while shane ross gives money to private schools for their 20th hockey pitch or something?

What about the kids having to compete with the kids whose parents can afford to send them to places like the institute to repeat and grinds ...??

Education inequality in Ireland is real.

And let's be honest.

True. Many more rent from normal landlords because they have no choice. And its even more expensive then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭satguy

One or two rotten families can spoil an area,, but one or two really really rotten families can send a whole area to hell.

We need to round up anti social families, if some areas are to saved.

And let's be honest.

And there are plenty of 3rd level unis around the country to accommodate kids that live near so no travelling and no accommodation. What is needed is high points in your leaving cert to get into them and a strong work ethic once you are in. College education is very accessible to anyone who wants it in this country regardless of their financial situation bar the ones that have no choice but to look for accommodation. None of this is my opinion all widely available facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

holyhead wrote: »
    Building huge housing estates miles away from the city centre with poor transport, poor/no recreational facilities and lack of general infrastructure all contribute to a sense of abandonment. Drugs also don't help. These estates get a name and it's residents subsequently can find it hard to move up the social ladder, if so inclined.

Amazing how people from housing estates in small towns around the rest of the country seem to be able to become productive members of society and not skangers with even less facilities than in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Started off been spoiled by getting a free house.

Then it rolls from there.

Lot of decent people lived in them but some people are just scumbags basically and want things for free and blame everyone else when they don't get them.

Most people in the world realise the concept of if you want something earn it.

In Ireland there seems to be a growing attitude and cohert that the government must provide you and no questions asked.

Its Baffling.

What free houses?

And there are plenty of 3rd level unis around the country to accommodate kids that live near so no travelling and no accommodation. What is needed is high points in your leaving cert to get into them and a strong work ethic once you are in. College education is very accessible to anyone who wants it in this country regardless of their financial situation bar the ones that have no choice but to look for accommodation. None of this is my opinion all widely available facts.
    Why are Universities so full of middle class kids then?

Why the disparity?

Amazing how people from housing estates in small towns around the rest of the country seem to be able to become productive members of society and not skangers with even less facilities than in the capital.
    Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

-_- spare me.

I could go on.

That is when every one switchs off its just not true because of third level grants Here and DARE and huge support to anyone who wants it. They want to see it through the prism of class war its a yawn.

To the op its a very complex question with no one clear answer.

Middle and upper class children do consistently better in the leaving. That's a fact.

Must be those middle class genes.

What about the kids that do?

What about the kids that don't have parents willing to part with the cash because its a sacrifice but don't meet the means?

What about the kids going to school in schools with no science labs ..while shane ross gives money to private schools for their 20th hockey pitch or something?

What about the kids having to compete with the kids whose parents can afford to send them to places like the institute to repeat and grinds ...??

Education inequality in Ireland is real.
    My whole point was that smarter kids won't be left behind because of their income as they were in the 70s and 80s. It is all there for them if they have the brains and work ethic. I personally know of people who came from some of these rough estates and parents didn't care much about education and are now working professionals with a college education. It is all there if you want it regardless of how much money you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Limerick.

Small towns I said if you read back, is Limerick a small town?

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    To the op its a very complex question with no one clear answer.
    True.

Advertisement