Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong with places like Ballymun, Jobstown, Darndale etc.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found a longitudinal study that lists all the predictors of delinquent development.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/294690583_The_Development_of_Offending_from_Age_8_to_Age_50_Recent_Results_from_the_Cambridge_Study_in_Delinquent_Development

It seems that about two thirds fall into the early predictors of delinquent development.

k1ZBGmZ.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Family stability and guidance are crucial. But in disadvantaged areas like Tallaght it becomes much harder because of all the added problems. Adam Muldoon was a victim of circumstance, had cerebral palsy, mother committed suicide. And fell into foster care, then homelessness.

In the end Adam had the misfortune of coming into contact with Philip Dunbar, who also lost a mother. But Dunbar was obviously not only damaged mentally as a result of his loss. Unlike Muldoon, Dunbar was also an angry/dangerous individual.

Disgusting and the state should be held responsible for not protecting someone so vulnerable

Disgusting and the state should be held responsible for not protecting someone so vulnerable

Very sad and disturbing for all involved.
    I hope it does not damage future generations. Adam Muldoon's sister sounds like she is on the verge of cracking up.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/adam-muldoons-sister-haunted-by-thought-of-him-begging-for-his-life-1101697

Sad fact is once a person becomes an adult, the state feels it's job is done.
    I don't know the in's and out's of why Adam was not living with his family/extended family.

But it shows how one terrible misfortune and a broken home, can lead to more disaster on top of that.
    Particularly if you do not live in a well to do area. It is the thing the Dunbar and Muldoon have in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

So sad reading about Adam Muldoon. His mother died on his 13th birthday, suicide I gather. He had cerebral palsy. Lots of siblings but sounds like no family support. One kind lady looked after him. Jeered and mocked over his disability. Homeless. The saddest was the quote I read “ he just wanted to fit in”. Is really heartbreaking. Some lovely pictures of him on the internet. Can’t stop thinking about him.

I wonder if he even got as far as getting his name on a housing list. If he was on the list, he should have been a priority. He was a vulnerable person left high and dry.

And forgetting about the scrounging and the lack of work ethic etc, how could the people who taunted him have so little humanity, I just can’t understand it. It’s a cliche I know but there are really really serious problems in our society. Lack of ethics and. Integrity At the top and these are ultimately the consequences but once the anti social and let’s face it breakdown of society problems are kept well away from ‘ nice’ society, they don’t give a damn.

hamburgham wrote: »
    So sad reading about Adam Muldoon. His mother died on his 13th birthday, suicide I gather. He had cerebral palsy. Lots of siblings but sounds like no family support. One kind lady looked after him. Jeered and mocked over his disability. Homeless. The saddest was the quote I read “ he just wanted to fit in”. Is really heartbreaking. Some lovely pictures of him on the internet. Can’t stop thinking about him.

I wonder if he even got as far as getting his name on a housing list. If he was on the list, he should have been a priority. He was a vulnerable person left high and dry.

but once the anti social and let’s face it breakdown of society problems are kept well away from ‘ nice’ society, they don’t give a damn.

I was confused as to why Adam was homeless, as you would have thought the state and his family would have intervened.

So I searched boards.ie at the time of Adam Muldoon's murder there was a thread created in June 2018.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107343270

There appears to be one particular poster in the know about why Adam was homeless.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107343014&postcount=13

Who said he had accommodation available but preferred to sleep rough. And instead, the community network in the area tried to support him as best they could.

The same poster also said Adam had other issues besides his CP.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107343270&postcount=25

It puts another layer of complexity to it, how do you help an adult who is not willing to help themselves? For anyone sleeping rough in Jobstown it would be tough. But for someone with CP it would be much more difficult.
    High level of vulnerability and so on. Before even getting to the need for regular physiotherapy for his condition.

• Advertisement

I lived in a village just outside a town for a while, tidy towns were all over it. There were plenty of visitors for a few hours from the main town on nice days and there's been a huge amount of new development making the main street much busier day-to-day yet it's always clean and tidy.
    Contrast that to the council estate around the corner from my parents. Rubbish everywhere, rubbish in gardens, weeds growing freely everywhere etc. It's not as if the people around the village had more free time on their hands than the people in the council estate either.
    At the end of the day it comes down to personal pride and responsibility. When you have a large cohort of people who have never had to provide for themselves in any meaningful way yet are as well off as many working people you're not going to see them improve themselves.

Advertisement