Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting type of lock

Options
  • 03-03-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Anyone have one of these?
    Seem pretty heavy duty, I know if they want the bike they'll grind it out but looks more bothersome than just locks/chains and ground anchor.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeextras-for-sale/motorbike-lock/23896672

Suppose the only let down is that it looks like you could not put your steering lock on...

MTAyZjRiMDU4MzcyZGI0Y2I0MWMxOTMyZGFhNzY2ZWYe3Hku-jA7xHKT-Iqf0QAFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDI0OTEwOTN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Great idea fair play to him.
    Only thing from my perspective (there's always one lol) is if he used a rawl bolt which had a taper that meant it's faceed up flush with the surface. It's standard fare in ground anchor fixing and means you've no bolts left proud to simply cut off.
    s-l400.jpg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-M10-10-9-Anti-Theft-Countersunk-Security-Bolts-Rawl-Bolts-Wall-Fixings-/233280579668
    You can then hammer in small ball bearings to the Allen head. No welding required.
    Good product though and a decent price but I'd be locking the rear wheel not the front.

When I was laying the concrete base of my garage I looped a length of ships anchor chain I blagged from the old Middleton army Surplus store which was on the road out to Whitegate. Left rebar through the links on the submerged bits. Did the trick, each link weights well over a kg lol. You could deffo cut itt but your making a sh1t tonne of noise doing it and likewise with the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

H_Lime wrote: »
    Great idea fair play to him.
    Only thing from my perspective (there's always one lol) is if he used a rawl bolt which had a taper that meant it's faceed up flush with the surface. It's standard fare in ground anchor fixing and means you've no bolts left proud to simply cut off.

You can then hammer in small ball bearings to the Allen head. No welding required.
    Good product though and a decent price but I'd be locking the rear wheel not the front.

When I was laying the concrete base of my garage I looped a length of ships anchor chain I blagged from the old Middleton army Surplus store which was on the road out to Whitegate. Left rebar through the links on the submerged bits. Did the trick, each link weights well over a kg lol. You could deffo cut itt but your making a sh1t tonne of noise doing it and likewise with the above.
    Jesus that's a few years ago when you got that chain. The store is gone from Ballinacurra with ages. He's up near Tescos in Midleton now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Anyone have one of these?
    Seem pretty heavy duty, I know if they want the bike they'll grind it out but looks more bothersome than just locks/chains and ground anchor.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeextras-for-sale/motorbike-lock/23896672

Suppose the only let down is that it looks like you could not put your steering lock on...

MTAyZjRiMDU4MzcyZGI0Y2I0MWMxOTMyZGFhNzY2ZWYe3Hku-jA7xHKT-Iqf0QAFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDI0OTEwOTN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

No mention of the type of steel or what heat treatment it has, it could be cut with a hacksaw for all we know. Good idea but needs way more information before I'd trust it.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Jesus that's a few years ago when you got that chain. The store is gone from Ballinacurra with ages. He's up near Tescos in Midleton now

Yeah that's the name I couldn't remember. He seemed to have more actual military surplus equipment back then. When you sorted the wheat from the chaff you could get some useful stuff all engraved with the military part numbers on them.
    Stuff he has now is mostly all chinesium.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No mention of the type of steel or what heat treatment it has, it could be cut with a hacksaw for all we know. Good idea but needs way more information before I'd trust it.
    At a guess I'd say it's mild but your still looking at spending time grinding or hacking through it. As said if they want it and have the know how they'll have it either way but it's about making it more difficult than your neighbours...

Last bit sounds bad but you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Steering locks about as useful as stabilisers...

listermint wrote: »
    Steering locks about as useful as stabilisers...

Do you use your steering lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

I use mine, why not? I know they can be broken quickly but yet another deterrent that is an extra 10° turn of a key :)

sirmixalot wrote: »
    I use mine, why not? I know they can be broken quickly but yet another deterrent that is an extra 10° turn of a key :)

Same here, anythig to prevent a scrote from chancing it is worthwhile. Death to the scrotes!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I use my steering lock the sum total of never.

I don't think it's been on more than once ever just to check it worked.

I could snap yours in less than 5 seconds. It really is a why bother item.

Good locks use them. I'm not interested in repairing a crap steering lock or bent handle bar should it come down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

Might be a stupid question, but can't the ground bolts just be unscrewed and then the thieves can take everything away (bike and security lock)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Might be a stupid question, but can't the ground bolts just be unscrewed and then the thieves can take everything away (bike and security lock)?

That's why the advertiser says to weld them, you can also batter the bolt with a hammer to deform it or use the Allen bolts H_lime posted. I'd be more worried about how and what it's made from than securing it to the ground.

Advertisement