Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice would be appreciated

Options
  • 03-03-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi All,

My partner has been renting a property in Dublin for some time. There have been multiple issues over the years but it really came to a head when she had sewage come up from the floor in the bathroom at the toilet. There had been a smell in the apartment for some time and even though it had been reported to the LL he said it was likely an issue down the sewage/trap line. We had a fully qualified Health and Safety person take a look, and he discovered the down pipe from the toilet is not sealed at all, it's also not fully affixed to the toilet. There is approx a 3mm gap around the entire thing. The kicker was when, I'm assuming someone in one of the other apartments used a bunch of chemicals and the apartment ended up with sewage and whatever chemicals flowing up into the bathroom.

My girlfriend has given 7 days notice per the danger to health section of the reasons to terminate a lease, however the LL is now pushing for the 56 days. There are a whole bunch of other things going on with this lease that I've only just become aware of and would take to long to mention, so those would be in addition to the above.

If anyone could offer some advice on this it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If there is a dispute then open a case with the RTB. They will mediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, after insisting on 56 days notice less than 5 days ago he came by the apartment today and informed my girlfriend the apartment has been sold to a Limited company I can find no details on. Really quite a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

The company might only be in the process of being established.

Regardless, is he now letting your girlfriend leave when she wants to?

JustMe,K wrote: »
    The company might only be in the process of being established.

Regardless, is he now letting your girlfriend leave when she wants to?

No, he's now saying that it has to be taken up with the new owners as he has transferred the leases and deposits to this new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

No, he's now saying that it has to be taken up with the new owners as he has transferred the leases and deposits to this new company.

What contact information has he provided for the new company? Is it possible that the new owners will make the repairs and your gf will stay there?

• Advertisement

JustMe,K wrote: »
    What contact information has he provided for the new company? Is it possible that the new owners will make the repairs and your gf will stay there?

None for the new owners directly. He has provided the email address of a property management company who are now acting on behalf of the Limited company. She has already sourced a new apartment as by the notice given to him the keys should have been handed back today.

Advertisement