Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA: Ask Me Anything: Now ye're talking - to a landlord

Options
  • 03-03-2020 10:03pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Current AMA might be of interest to some here in A & P:

It's over here -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058814
    Hi All
    I'm a landlord since 2004. I bought my first rental house in 2004 when I was 23.
    I've 3 in total now (hopefully all paid off in 9 years time). I have survived the recession (barely) and met some amazing and crazy people since 2004.

The media has put a really negative spin on all landlords and perhaps this AMA might give a bit of balance to it all, it's far from the cashcow it's made out to be. With 55% tax on rents (ignoring the mortgage!!), they are still not worth what I paid for them...

I have had it all from a bomb being made in my house and it appearing on the news.

Tenants telling me there was a ghost in the attic and what was I going to do about it.

An overweight tenant telling me they were going to sue me as the next doors kids called her a Roly-Poly.

Tenants arguing that punch holes in walls were wear and tear.

Tenants robbing all the lightbulbs when they moved out, etc.

Happy to answer any questions you all may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Questions asked!

For a second I thought you might be the landlord Graham

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Folks, there's a reason AMA participants are given a throwaway nickname.

Please, no guess-the-AMA-landlord discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Folks, there's a reason AMA participants are given a throwaway nickname.

Please, no guess-the-AMA-landlord discussion.

Also: Just to be clear, it was only because I saw Graham starting the thread here rather than anything on that thread in the AMA forum.

I haven't a clue who it is nor am I trying to find out.

Don't worry Slydice, my last post was preventative not aimed at you in particular.

The only thing I know about the AMA is, it's not me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

23 is very young to buy a rental property. How did you go about securing it? Was it your second property?

• Advertisement

Wrong thread Skill Magill, it's over here -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058058814

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

23 is very young to buy a rental property. How did you go about securing it? Was it your second property?

You won’t get an answer from the landlord here, but my guess when they were 23 the banks were handing out money like a politicians son/daughter in election season hands out kindling (flyers)

Advertisement