Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T-shape house extension question

• 03-03-2020 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Sorry for crappy drawing but thinking putting an extension onto the house, I know I need to engage with a professional but I just wanted to put my musings to boardiratie first to see if my ramblings make sense.

Two storey with attic accommodation, would like put a ground floor sunroom in the blue box and then another bedroom above it by squaring off the sloping rooves within the blue box so the blue box has a flat roof and is the height of the existing roof.

This would increase the size of two bedrooms upstairs as the slope on one side of each room would be gone and there could be a door into the new room in the blue box from the landing.

The size of the blue box would be 40m² so I'm thinking it wouldn't need planning but would it be advisable to engage with the planning office?

How much structural work would be required to put this vision into place, ie would the house have to be vacated for the duration, is it possible to link the pitch roof with the new flat roof, would loads of steel be required?

Thanks for looking

504535.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

is the extension within 2 metres of any boundary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

is the extension within 2 metres of any boundary?

No, it's about 5m metres from the back boundary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

funnyname wrote: »
    No, it's about 5m metres from the back boundary.

Anyone else before I consult with an expert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I believe you will need planning due to the height of the extension. Your walls of the new flat roof part will be higher than the existing side walls of the house, and your flat roof will be above the existing eaves. Also any first floor windows would need to be min. 11m from the boundary they face onto.

https://www.laois.ie/wp-content/uploads/Guidance-for-Doing-Works-Around-the-House-1.pdf
    There are also rules about the height allowed in such an
    extension. These are that:
    • if the rear wall of the house does not include a gable, the
    height of the walls of the extension must not exceed the
    height of the rear wall of the house;
    if the rear wall of the existing house has a gable, the walls
    of the extension (excluding any gable being built as part
    of the extension) shall not be higher than the side walls
    of the house;

in the case of a flat roofed extension, the height of the
    highest part of the roof may not exceed the height of the
    eaves or parapet.
    In any other case, no part of the new
    roof may exceed the highest part of the roof of the
    house;
    • a gable is the upper part of a wall (normally triangular),
    between the sloping ends of a pitched roof

As for how much work would be required, I would say a lot. You're removing almost half the roof, and affecting the triangulation of the other half. Would need to be properly assessed on site by an expert though.

Advertisement