Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,897 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh yeah, mixed that up. I was so eager for Jefferson to fall one more spot I got confused.
    Jeudy at 15 is a steal, so is Jefferson at 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh yeah, mixed that up. I was so eager for Jefferson to fall one more spot I got confused.
    Jeudy at 15 is a steal, so is Jefferson at 22.
    I thought Lamb at 17 was a huge steal, based on most mocks having him as the top ranked WR

The_Dave wrote:
    I thought Lamb at 17 was a huge steal, based on most mocks having him as the top ranked WR
    Yeah great business too. Personally had Jeudy as top receiver but Lamb is special too. This is the deepest WR class in a long time imo.
    I had the three mentioned as top three. Ruggs was below them for me because he goes missing in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Yeah great business too. Personally had Jeudy as top receiver but Lamb is special too. This is the deepest WR class in a long time imo.
    I had the three mentioned as top three. Ruggs was below them for me because he goes missing in games.
    Perhaps Ruggs flat-out speed stretched the field and that's why Jeudy put up the numbers... time may tell. I've not seen anything really of college ball so can't comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

100 percent happy to take a qb last night. Rodgers is getting injured the last few seasons, let love sit behind him for 2-3 years like Rodgers done, learn, the fact that Mahomes sat for a year shows how much it can help, same with ar, romo etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

100 percent happy to take a qb last night. Rodgers is getting injured the last few seasons, let love sit behind him for 2-3 years like Rodgers done, learn, the fact that Mahomes sat for a year shows how much it can help, same with ar, romo etc

You just know that the media will be dissecting any comment Rodgers makes in relation to this pick. But you're right even in a win now league where the days of rookies in general used to get time, Mahommes has shown the value of it very recently.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    You just know that the media will be dissecting any comment Rodgers makes in relation to this pick. But you're right even in a win now league where the days of rookies in general used to get time, Mahommes has shown the value of it very recently.
    How many others can you name that got taken in the first round, sat for a couple of years and made it?
    I'll find a lot more that didn't.
    I'm not criticising the move in itself, just that you have a pretty awesome QB who wants to win and needs weapons and this is a slap in the face to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The_Dave wrote: »
    I don't know if they could've gone much faster, the clock started once the time prior had their pick in, so essentailly the delay was caused by whoever was submitting the picks for each team.
    I don't know why the Bengals took so long to submit theirs; for drama, hoping to be offered a massive bounty to trade...
    Other teams at lease could say they were fielding calls (or waiting to see if anyone called) about trading

Apparently the Bengals were ready but it was the NFL that wanted it dragged out.

How many others can you name that got taken in the first round, sat for a couple of years and made it?
    I'll find a lot more that didn't.
    I'm not criticising the move in itself, just that you have a pretty awesome QB who wants to win and needs weapons and this is a slap in the face to him.

It was the way it used to be but I'm sorry EE for daring to try and make a point. It's the way it always used to happen where rookies didn't start straight away and it worked okay for lots of hall of famers in canton.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    It was the way it used to be but I'm sorry EE for daring to try and make a point. It's the way it always used to happen where rookies didn't start straight away and it worked okay for lots of hall of famers in canton.
    I'm just responding to your point. As I said I'm not criticising the move in and of itself just what surrounds it and also pointing out that sitting somebody for a year or two doesn't work out nearly as often as it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If they try to move on from Rodgers in 2 years they're eating $17m in dead cap. If they wait 3 years then you've lost 3 years of the cheap rookie deal, which is one of the biggest benefits of having a rookie QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What time does tonight kick off at?

TheDoctor wrote:

12 midnight here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TheDoctor wrote: »

First pick? Or do want to be there for the national anthem, 10 minute praise for healthcare workers, montage of people with the flag, honouring the military and 10 minute spiel by Goddell?

It's scheduled to start at midnight tonight so expect first pick around 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Picks I really liked last night:

#3 - Lions - Okudah: I was hoping the Lions wouldn't try and get too clever here. They have a huge need at the position and IMO, Okudah was the best corner on the board. I didn't think it was particularly close between him and Henderson.

#15 - Broncos - Juedy & #17 - Cowboys - Lamb: 2 best receivers IMO and both franchises must be thrilled to be able to get them at those spots without trading up. Added bonus for the Cowboys is that the Eagles might have just been seeing him in their sights!

#13 - Buccs - Wirfs: best OT in the draft IMO and a solid addition for Brady.

#28 - Ravens - Queen: If you could build an ILB to play for the Ravens he would probably play pretty much like Queen. ILB is a big need for Baltimore. Seems another perfect fit falls into the Ravens lap as there's no way he should have lasted to #28 the way the board fell.

Picks I didn't like so much:

#4 - Giants - Thomas: Giants had their choice of the OT's and IMO chose the 4th best option.

#6 - Chargers - Herbert: Ugh, just ugh. A big arm and little else IMO. A complete and utter reach. I know if you think he's your guy you just have to take him, but surely he would have fallen towards the #20's if you really have to take him and if he doesn't, just move on as he's really not worth it.

#19 - Raiders - Arnette: 3rd rounder, IMO.

#23 - Chargers - Murray: They could have had Queen here who I feel is the much better prospect. As you can probably tell, I wasn't a big fan of the Chargers' night.

#26 - Packers - Love: Not that I disagree with the Packers taking a QB and there's nothing to say Rodgers has a God given right for the them not to do so, but drafting one in the first round when a first rounder could have such a huge impact on your team with your franchise QB very much in "have to win-now" mode makes little sense to me. Someone like Higgins would have been a far better option here. Chances are the current coaching staff and front office won't be around to see if Love works out or not anyway especially not with decisions like this which is essentially adding no help at the present time to your team from your first round pick, and best case scenario the Packers will have a year or two max of his rookie deal.

Have to say Brent I'm pretty much in agreement with all you say there outside of Murray. I think Murray is a special talent. I don't think there's much between him and Queen but I like Murray a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

BrentMused wrote: »
    Picks I really liked last night:

#3 - Lions - Okudah: I was hoping the Lions wouldn't try and get too clever here. They have a huge need at the position and IMO, Okudah was the best corner on the board. I didn't think it was particularly close between him and Henderson.

#15 - Broncos - Juedy & #17 - Cowboys - Lamb: 2 best receivers IMO and both franchises must be thrilled to be able to get them at those spots without trading up. Added bonus for the Cowboys is that the Eagles might have just been seeing him in their sights!

#13 - Buccs - Wirfs: best OT in the draft IMO and a solid addition for Brady.

#28 - Ravens - Queen: If you could build an ILB to play for the Ravens he would probably play pretty much like Queen. ILB is a big need for Baltimore. Seems another perfect fit falls into the Ravens lap as there's no way he should have lasted to #28 the way the board fell.

Picks I didn't like so much:

#4 - Giants - Thomas: Giants had their choice of the OT's and IMO chose the 4th best option.

#6 - Chargers - Herbert: Ugh, just ugh. A big arm and little else IMO. A complete and utter reach. I know if you think he's your guy you just have to take him, but surely he would have fallen towards the #20's if you really have to take him and if he doesn't, just move on as he's really not worth it.

#19 - Raiders - Arnette: 3rd rounder, IMO.

#23 - Chargers - Murray: They could have had Queen here who I feel is the much better prospect. As you can probably tell, I wasn't a big fan of the Chargers' night.

#26 - Packers - Love: Not that I disagree with the Packers taking a QB and there's nothing to say Rodgers has a God given right for the them not to do so, but drafting one in the first round when a first rounder could have such a huge impact on your team with your franchise QB very much in "have to win-now" mode makes little sense to me. Someone like Higgins would have been a far better option here. Chances are the current coaching staff and front office won't be around to see if Love works out or not anyway especially not with decisions like this which is essentially adding no help at the present time to your team from your first round pick, and best case scenario the Packers will have a year or two max of his rookie deal.

One thing I can guarantee you is that Gutekunst and Lefluer will be around be in 2 years time as hiring and firing management is not the packers way. I don't understand the hysteria over the packers drafting a QB, Ted Thompson did it in 05 in his first year as gm with a 35 year favre and ron wolf in 1992 traded a first round draft pick for Favre and Gutekunst is in the same school of thought. Love is the first skilled player drafted since Rodgers and we haven't drafted a wide receiver in the first round since 2002 and we seem to be doing alright. In terms of win now, I think there allot of holes to fill and maybe they felt it was a nice opportunity to get a Q.B that has a huge upside whom in 2018 was highly touted but had a down year last year and rumour has that the colts and new England were going to trade back in to the first to nab him.

cosatron wrote:
    New England were going to trade back in to the first to nab him.
    You don't jump out at 23 and back in at 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

You don't jump out at 23 and back in at 25.

in all fairness, its very hard to turn down the 37th and 71th pick ye got of the chargers and in terms of the packers jumping up maybe new England were going to jump back in at 26,27,28,29. Apparently new England and the packers showed the most interest in Love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Thomas is under rated and is going to be a really good OT - he might be the pick of the bunch and is far less likely to be a bust than any of the others.
    Apparently Denver were trying to trade back into R1 to get Queen - Fangio knows his LBs and he considered Queen better than Murray and viewed him as the Broncos equivalent of Roquan Smith - by all accounts he was really pissed when Elway failed to pull off the trade.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote:
    in all fairness, its very hard to turn down the 37th and 71th pick ye got of the chargers and in terms of the packers jumping up maybe new England were going to jump back in at 26,27,28,29. Apparently new England and the packers showed the most interest in Love.
    The patriots would be aware of who their main rivals for a draft prospect are. I don't think they had any interest in Love as I firmly believe they are happy with Stidham and I've been saying this for months. You'll find it in the New England thread long before there were any suggestions that Brady wouldn't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

cosatron wrote: »
    One thing I can guarantee you is that Gutekunst and Lefluer will be around be in 2 years time as hiring and firing management is not the packers way. I don't understand the hysteria over the packers drafting a QB, Ted Thompson did it in 05 in his first year as gm with a 35 year favre and ron wolf in 1992 traded a first round draft pick for Favre and Gutekunst is in the same school of thought. Love is the first skilled player drafted since Rodgers and we haven't drafted a wide receiver in the first round since 2002 and we seem to be doing alright. In terms of win now, I think there allot of holes to fill and maybe they felt it was a nice opportunity to get a Q.B that has a huge upside whom in 2018 was highly touted but had a down year last year and rumour has that the colts and new England were going to trade back in to the first to nab him.

I'm struggling to see how they can be right to give Rodgers the deal they did, while also being right with this pick. Even if Love turns out to be great then they are still stuck with Rodgers contract due to how it is structured. Getting a QB of the future in the draft is good but what really makes it amazing is when you can make the most of them having a cheap deal, see Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles, Rams. They can't do this here.

Has anyone connected to GB come out and claimed that Love was always the plan? GB could have been forced into their plan B after the run on WRs ending in 49ers moving up for Aiyuk.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see how they can be right to give Rodgers the deal they did, while also being right with this pick. Even if Love turns out to be great then they are still stuck with Rodgers contract due to how it is structured. Getting a QB of the future in the draft is good but what really makes it amazing is when you can make the most of them having a cheap deal, see Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles, Rams. They can't do this here.

Has anyone connected to GB come out and claimed that Love was always the plan? GB could have been forced into their plan B after the run on WRs ending in 49ers moving up for Aiyuk.

Well maybe Matt LeFleur thinks he'll be head coach of the packers after Rodgers is gone from the team and wants a QB that he can say he drafted and that he's hoping will be the next step in the HOF list of packers QBs. That's a guess but maybe LeFleur wants to put his stamp on this team but him being there in however many years is dependent on Aaron Rodgers doing what he's done for so many years. I can see the pros and cons of it but it's risky but if it works right then he'll be called a genius but if not... well there might a 16th head coach in the packers history sooner then expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Cant understand why the saints drafted Ruiz,I get that brees struggles with inside pressure but they have a glaring need at linebacker and Patrick queen was on the board .Just a strange pick I thought

Cant understand why the saints drafted Ruiz,I get that brees struggles with inside pressure but they have a glaring need at linebacker and Patrick queen was on the board .Just a strange pick I thought
    The run game struggled last year too compared to the previous couple of years.
    Didn't they have a few injuries to LB's last season too?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Yeah anzalone and Alonso missed time and A.J kleyn is gone to buffalo so outside of Demario Davies there quite light there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Didn’t watch last night as if work today and only catching up now, Green Bay move is very surprising. Rogers will not be pleased. I’d want them to go BPA on offence if it was my team.

What time does it kick off tonight does anybody know? Off for the weekend so will dip in and out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Didn’t watch last night as if work today and only catching up now, Green Bay move is very surprising. Rogers will not be pleased. I’d want them to go BPA on offence if it was my team.

What time does it kick off tonight does anybody know? Off for the weekend so will dip in and out of it.

Midnight I think

Midnight tonight and it's afternoon time Irish time Saturday. Well normally it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Thanks, thought it might start a bit earlier tonight given they have two rounds to complete. Might watch round two anyway.

Advertisement