Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB file extension

Options
  • 03-03-2020 11:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope this in the right forum, please move if needed.

I have a db file from my kindle that i need to open and print on my pc,
    but I cannot find the appropriate program to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Does this make any sense?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1733437

It looks to be part of an encrypted bundle of content, only viewable through an authorised device (?). You may need to source another variant of the bundle/book.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its not actually a book I am having trouble with. Its an app on the tablet that keeps records and graphs.
    Its viewable on the tablet, and can be e mailed as a record. But it comes to my pc as a DB file, which i cannot open.

Am i posting this query in the right forum? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What is the app that is generating the records?

FanadMan wrote: »
    What is the app that is generating the records?

Its a health based app.

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Its a health based app.

A bit of detail might help. The DB file format is a generic database file standard so it's probably a proprietary file. Unless we know what it's from, we're shooting blind.

FanadMan wrote: »
    A bit of detail might help. The DB file format is a generic database file standard so it's probably a proprietary file. Unless we know what it's from, we're shooting blind.

Sorry about that, but I am not android based program savvy, so I am unable to elaborate further into technical details.

The program takes information I input, and places the records into various scenarios, ven diagrams, and pagefile tables, and statistical data.

I can then back up the file to my laptop. It comes in as a DB extension file, that I am not sure which programs open it.

It has just been suggested to me to try, Libreoffice, Microsoft access, or Database browser.

I will try these.
    Thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Without the name of the app people will be shooting in the dark.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Without the name of the app people will be shooting in the dark.

No problem, its this one ,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aadhk.bptracker&hl=en_IE

Downloaded the app and the DB file is specific to that app. The only reason you can download the record is just as a backup. To view it, you have to use the app.

It says in the description that "7. Report in csv, html and excel xml" but I can't find any way to generate the report.......probably cos I don't have a device to give it data.

Maybe contact the apps support?

• Advertisement

Thankyou, I appreciate the help. I see from the app that the only form the file is backed up in
    is DB, thats the only file I can e mail.

I have already contacted the apps support this morning, and waiting on a reply.

Thanks again for your help

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What happens if you open the file in notepad for instance? Is it text or completely garbled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

A lot of android apps use sqlite for the database.

Try dBeaver, it might be able to open it
    https://dbeaver.io/

But there won't be graphs, just each individual data point

TheChizler wrote: »
    What happens if you open the file in notepad for instance? Is it text or completely garbled?

Basically garbled.

KAGY wrote: »
    A lot of android apps use sqlite for the database.

Try dBeaver, it might be able to open it
    https://dbeaver.io/

But there won't be graphs, just each individual data point

I'll try that later, thankyou.

Tried it, but as you say its only each individual data point,
    so not really useful for sending to anybody.

Thanks
    kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You can't really do what you're asking without essentially recreating the application (unless there's a way that the developer has provided in-app - I see a screen shot on the store page that shows "Export to HTML" that may do what you want).

However, why don't you just take a screenshot of the reports and send that?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    You can't really do what you're asking without essentially recreating the application (unless there's a way that the developer has provided in-app - I see a screen shot on the store page that shows "Export to HTML" that may do what you want).

However, why don't you just take a screenshot of the reports and send that?

Problem is , it doesn't export in html or in anything else other than DB.

I have still had no answer from the developer.

App is on my tablet, and i cannot take one screenshot of multiple records

App is on my tablet, and i cannot take one screenshot of multiple records
    Why is that a requirement? Just take multiple ones.

Are you familiar with XY problems? What is the actual end-goal that you're trying to achieve?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Why is that a requirement? Just take multiple ones.

Are you familiar with XY problems? What is the actual end-goal that you're trying to achieve?

500???

I am trying to send a list of numerous records from my app to my health care professional.

• Advertisement

500???

I am trying to send a list of numerous records from my app to my health care professional.
    Have they actually requested that level of detail? If they have, then get them to download the app and your db file, and restore your backup from the Data menu. If they haven't, then just take screenshots of the monthly overviews in the Statistic menu

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5afdqCmaOjmPUVb-AGonhLt5IhQpbVwER1X-OoCqvo_ih3jvkY3xlh_yu167EmKg07I=w1920-h937-rw

Export the data as a CSV or Exel file
    Open in Exel or Google Sheets
    Create the graphs required
    Email to your doc.

ED E wrote: »
    5afdqCmaOjmPUVb-AGonhLt5IhQpbVwER1X-OoCqvo_ih3jvkY3xlh_yu167EmKg07I=w1920-h937-rw

Export the data as a CSV or Exel file
    Open in Exel or Google Sheets
    Create the graphs required
    Email to your doc.

This does not work, the only file format is exporting a db file. Like i said i am waiting for a response to this from the developers, but nothing yet.

Have they actually requested that level of detail? If they have, then get them to download the app and your db file, and restore your backup from the Data menu. If they haven't, then just take screenshots of the monthly overviews in the Statistic menu

It looks like I might have to resort to this option I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

It looks like I might have to resort to this option I know.

Dbeaver should be able to export to CSV (comma separated values) that excel could open. The only problem could be that the db file doesn't store relationships between data.

If you don't mind trusting some stranger on the internet you could private message me the file and I'd take a quick look at it .
    If you can figure out the CSV export I can tell you how to randomise the data in excel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

A lot of .db files I've come across can viewed with Paradox DB viewer, free download, just google it and have a go with that

21/25

Advertisement