Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoPro Kit Recommendations

Options
  • 04-03-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a GoPro, now that the GoPro Hero 7 Black is less than €300..

Having looked briefly at cheaper alternatives that don't seem as good, I reckon the GoPro might be worth the price premium (maybe it's not).

The trouble is, I haven't a clue what extras to get. I suppose a spare battery (although not necessary) would be handy. Do I need screen protectors, a helmet mount, and a chest mount. Where do you get them, and what do you get? Can you get those easily, and would they work with any helmet.

I've a full-face O'Neal Backflip and a Giro Chronicle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Just got the Hero 7 Black delivered on Monday. Has everything I needed for mounting it under my visor (I have Bell Super 3R Mips). It also came with a 32gb Micro SD. The only things I'm temped to purchase separately are a spare battery and a 128gb Micro SD card. The battery, and all other accessories, are readily available online (e.g. Amazon) and places like Harvey Norman stock a fair bit of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They used to have an offer where you could sign up to their online subscription and then get 50% off most extras.
    So you could cancel during the first month but still save a load on the extras you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I think a chest mount provides the best footage for MTB.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    The trouble is, I haven't a clue what extras to get. I suppose a spare battery (although not necessary) would be handy. Do I need screen protectors, a helmet mount, and a chest mount. Where do you get them, and what do you get? Can you get those easily, and would they work with any helmet.

A spare battery is necessary. You'll get less than two from a battery, but it's always worth having another one, just in case.

You shouldn't need a screen protector, as the cage means the screen is recessed.

I've a helmet mount but haven't used it, I prefer the chest mount, even if it can look a bit silly. The footage looks a lot better than the constant movement from your head.
    A handlebar mount is good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Are there any chest and handlebar mounts you'd recommend? Where is a good place/website to get them and a spare battery. The cheapest place for the actual unit doesn't have them.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement

I got my chest and helmet mount direct from GoPro.
    A mate gave me the handle bar mount, and it's a spurious brand. Does the trick but not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Got one of these
    Have used it twice now, seems fine. Still getting the angles right. I've a Hero Session, the little square one.
    Also have an eBay handlebar mount for the road bike, does the job fine. Not too keen on a helmet mount after Schumachers crash.

Advertisement