Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineer quote - reasonable?

Options
  • 04-03-2020 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Currently building a small rear extension which requires structural support steel for an internal wall (3 meters long) and for the end wall (6 meters long). Got a quote of €2,700 (ex VAT) to design, inspect and issue compliance cert for the steel engineering elements. Does this seem reasonable? I thought it was very high but finding it hard to get other people to quote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Currently building a small rear extension which requires structural support steel for an internal wall (3 meters long) and for the end wall (6 meters long). Got a quote of €2,700 (ex VAT) to design, inspect and issue compliance cert for the steel engineering elements. Does this seem reasonable? I thought it was very high but finding it hard to get other people to quote.

Try a local Engineer and not an Engineering company.

We went to a Engineering consultant for a price for a structural report on a house we were buying. They quoted us €900.

I got the exact same report from an independent Engineer for €150.

Shop around, you'll get it cheaper.

Advertisement