Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

Options

Comments

alastair wrote: »
    The E.U. has never ‘taken in all refugees, migrants, asylum seekers’. Germany for a time had a national policy of accepting Syrian refugees that had entered the E.U., but that was a national decision, not an EU one. They didn’t consider that charity either, btw. They still assessed asylum claims and deported those who were not successful.

They were taken in by Germany but later became an EU problem to be shared around member states when it became clear that Germany had bitten off more than it could chew.

Time for heavy economic sanctions on Turkey from the EU.

Which do absolutely nothing worthwhile. Sanctions are the tool of those unwilling to commit to a definite course of action.

Turkey should be cut off completely. Economically and politically. Let them turn to Russia if they want... they'll quickly find that alliance to be rather cold. Playing these games with Turkey gets Europe nothing of value. Short term gains for political gestures, but ultimately leads to further (and worse) problems down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Would you blame the locals on Lesbos, the migrants vandalised a church maurading there way through

Not at all. Lesbos has been destroyed economically.

Turkey needs to be put back in its place fairly quickly. Whether economically through sanctions or by military threat and action if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They considered it 'The September Fairytale', if memory serves.

https://www.politico.eu/article/merkel-changed-her-mind-migration-crisis-eu-schengen-border-control/

- Angela Merkel

Even more imbecilic than misplaced charity.

Where is she now. Very outspoken woman. And Iv great respect for her admission of genuine war refugees but she's totally shyed away from spotlight. If her medical condition is true it seems totally convenient timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

They considered it 'The September Fairytale', if memory serves.

Yes - a humanitarian initiative - framed by the same rules for asylum as applied before and after.

• Advertisement

They were taken in by Germany but later became an EU problem to be shared around member states when it became clear that Germany had bitten off more than it could chew.

Some E.U. states. And again - still subject to the normal asylum claim procedures.

They severely relaxed the restrictions placed on what constituted a valid asylum seeker/refugee.. thereby increasing the numbers/range of those who could enter.

Many are, indeed, refused. Many are allowed to stay, while being processed. Many others are accepted and allowed entry.

The majority, however, should have been rejected. Not because they weren't genuine asylum seekers (it's immaterial at this stage whether they were or were not), but because Europe should not be the go-to destination for everyone running from trouble.

They didn’t relax any restrictions on what constituted a valid refugee. If they didn’t make a successful asylum claim, they were deported. And all of those who were successful are a small number compared to those outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Yes - a humanitarian initiative - framed by the same rules for asylum as applied before and after.

But MOTIVATED by misplaced charity.

The rules don't justify the stupidity of the gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Apart from the fact that 120 years ago, there was no free accomodation, medical expenses, free food, clothes and free money. Do you guys ever read up on stuff?
    Where can I get that free accommodation, free food, free clothes, and free money please? Can I get a number?

But MOTIVATED by misplaced charity.

The rules don't justify the stupidity of the gesture.

It’s nothing to do with charity. And Germans themselves seem to have worked around the difficulties in relatively short order.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Where can I get that free accommodation, free food, free clothes, and free money please? Can I get a number?

I'm done with thread.might as well argue with masonary

Ah yes legal. Caught in the loop of prevelant charity. Never ending till the place these people come from looks like the place they desired to get to eventually.
    Pub talk again.

Yes, legal, namely the UN Refugee Convention 1951. To which Republic of Ireland is a signatory.

There was no free house, prams and welfare cash for those Irish, many were welcomed straight into their civil war. Their lives into a foreign war for a daily slice of bread.
    Oh yeah. There were no charities and no Church involvement either. Right.

Note: Welfare cash is paid to all, not to asylum seekers only.

Pub talk again.

Yes, legal, namely the UN Refugee Convention 1951. To which Republic of Ireland is a signatory.

1951 ya say. Obligation to a system that did not forsee abuse more than 70 years later. When times in 1951 were actually ****e in Ireland. Good point. Class act. Truth be told people struggling now to keep roof over their head no different than back then. Yet you suggest we should support more people struggling. Jesus people on here are short a few nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Alastair and McGiver...how many more refugees should we take in?.
    Whats the limit?

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Whats the limit?

No no nah no no. There's no limit. All sing with me. Sing from the same hyme sheet

No no nah no no. There's no limit. All sing with me. Sing from the same hyme sheer

Lets all just wait and see what those 2 chancers have to say.

Money doesnt grow on trees.

1951 ya say. Obligation to a system that did not forsee abuse more than 70 years later. When times in 1951 were actually ****e in Ireland. Good point. Class act. Truth be told people struggling now to keep roof over their head no different than back then. Yet you suggest we should support more people struggling. Jesus people on here are short a few nuts.
    Do you understand the following words?

United Nations
    General Convention
    Signatory
    Republic of Ireland

Try again.

Whats the limit?

Given that Lebanon - a country half the the size of Leinster - has taken in about a million Syrian refugees, I reckon we’re not quite at our limit. Asylum seekers should have their claims met, as we’re obligated to do.

Given that Lebanon - a country half the the size of Leinster - has taken in about a million Syrian refugees, I reckon we’re not quite at our limit. Asylum seekers should have their claims met, as we’re obligated to do.

Do you want us to be like Lebanon ?

• Advertisement

Yeh Im not interested in "whatabout lebanon"

I asked two questions the least you could do is make an effort to answer.

Do you want us to be like Lebanon ?

Lets try to be like a country like Lebanon isnt something I thought Ireland aspired to.
    Its obvious Alastair has skin in the game,every answer sounds like a sleazy politicians answer looking to line his own pockets.

Lets try to be like a country like Lebanon isnt something I thought Ireland aspired to.
    Its obvious Alastair has skin in the game,every answer sounds like a sleazy politicians answer looking to line his own pockets.

There's money to be made.

Forty-seven posts today alone, and double-bubble for the Sunday !

:D

There's money to be made.

Forty-seven posts today alone, and double-bubble for the Sunday !

:D

Haha hes been busy today alright...over licking pedo arses on the antifa thread too shows the type ya dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I am not sure of the number of Mosney holiday camp. Don't have it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Most are men ages 17 to 45 or so. Some women and children are brought and exploited for a photo op.

It's an invasion and should be described as such now. At least they’ve started to call the lads hurling rocks at the Greeks “migrants” now. It’s a start.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Most are men ages 17 to 45 or so. Some women and children are brought and exploited for a photo op.

It's an invasion and should be described as such now. At least they’ve started to call the lads hurling rocks at the Greeks “migrants” now. It’s a start.

The way the media seem to sniff out a photo opportunity with women and children to make them seem like innocent refugees is almost an art form now.

I will never forget the photo of the body of a little girl mowed down by the truck in Nice and how it made ZERO front pages of major newspapers. Just didn't fit the agenda you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

DelaneyIn wrote: »

The fact that these guys are men doesnt make any difference...most likely these were the ones strong enough to make the journey..whats the difference if its a woman or a man? If Ireland was in the middle east and it was torn apart by war you and me and the rest of the lads would be up at the greek border trying to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The way the media seem to sniff out a photo opportunity with women and children to make them seem like innocent refugees is almost an art form now.

I will never forget the photo of the body of a little girl mowed down by the truck in Nice and how it made ZERO front pages of major newspapers. Just didn't fit the agenda you see.

You don’t think putting the body of a dead girl on the front page of a news paper would be slightly insensitive no? What about her parents ffs? Interesting insight into your mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The EU gives about €50b per annum in foreign aid.

The shame of that is how it ultimately ends up funding a shopping trip in Paris for a dictator's wife, its stolen (Iranian Revolutionary Guards selling masks and other protections against Corona virus for a 40 fold markup) or an Oxfam brothel trip in a Landcruiser. And even if the money is spent as intended on education, and so forth, it frees up more money for arms spending. I'm really wary of aid spending. Everyone should be.

We should certainly not be taking in this flood of economic migrants. Very, very few are Syrian. And apparently the EU has handed over another 500 mil to the dictator Erdogan, but that amount probably ranks as barely a pre-tribute, a taster maybe. This man had a 1000 room palace. 500 mil is chump change to him.

Advertisement