Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Cordell wrote: »
    Can you name one?

5011007003067_1_default_default.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any follow up from the Dept of Justice in relation to this, in relation to cross department communication.

All they need when applying for status is to show what they claimed as opposed to each department communicating information such as holidays and overpayments/fraud etc.

Should be reviewed every few years tbh.

There’s nothing to stop anyone who has received asylum from travelling anywhere they like - as long as they have a visa or waiver. It’s nothing to do with the Dept of Justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

nthclare wrote: »
    I think whomever is a bleeding Liberal and all for taking in economic migrants and refugees should take a few in to their own homes.

Just like the gay Liberal couple I heard of who decided to take in a few migrants for good will and chead mile failte etc

It wasn't long before these guy's realised that homosexuality wasn't accepted by the Islamic doctrinal teachings.

And the Islamic guys were none too pleased about being undermined by the people who kindly offered their help, by not telling them they were a gay couple who shared the same bed and now and again joined by Fred.

Grindr 3Somes and Islamic teachings do not mix under the one roof.

None of the bleeding heart liberals do anything to help anyone but themselves.

It's all posturing and trying to appear noble and usually for their facebook and insta accounts.

Incredibly vacuous shallow people.

Funnily enough those they accuse of being racist (ie me) well my partner is an immigrant and my daughter is mixed race. Don't think you can get any more dedicated to another race then spending your life with someone of a different race but these people can't comprehend it.

Ironically that makes me far more tolerant in a way than them but again these folk cannot do logic or irony!.

Reminds me of that Little Britain sketch. Computer says no!. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Cordell

alastair wrote: »
    5011007003067_1_default_default.jpg

I suspect you're trying to say that distillation was invented in the islamic world - which is not true, it was invented in that place, but not in that time. Distillation predates both islam and christianity by more that 1000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I suspect you're trying to say that distillation was invented in the islamic world - which is not true, it was invented in that place, but not in that time. Distillation predates both islam and christianity by more that 1000 years.

pointing out inventions made by a group millennia ago is a double edged sword and really only serves to highlight the lack of recent innovations.

• Advertisement

pointing out inventions made by a group millennia ago is a double edged sword and really only serves to highlight the lack of recent innovations.

You wrote that from a device that has more processing power than the whole world had 40 years ago while using less energy than a single light bulb from the same time. Right, quite a lot of lack of recent innovation.

You wrote that from a device that has more processing power than the whole world had 40 years ago while using less energy than a single light bulb from the same time. Right, quite a lot of lack of recent innovation.

i'm talking about when people say the arabs invented distillation or certain concepts in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Immigration is controlled. It’s controlled in every country in the world.

Would say that immigration is controlled in Greece at the moment? If that’s “controlled immigration”, I would hate to see what you deem to be uncontrollable immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Varik wrote: »
    At no point does that random picture mention or disregard the long gone Islamic golden age.

One is a picture of a retard in pink crocs, and the other is DRAWING of a English knight in regalia from 100 years after the Islamic golden ages was dead and gone ( and never to come back).

You're missing my point. The Knight was from the upper echelons of society, for every knight there were a thousand serfs. At a similar time in history, Islamic society had it's own ruling class, who at various points in history were even wealthier and more technologically advanced than their European contemporaries.

It is a silly meme that has little to do with reality. It contains the message that modern European men are weak in the face of the migrants flowing into Europe from the Middle East in contrast to their historical ancestors. I was simply pointing out that the Knight was not representative the vast majority of Europeans and also that quite often the Knights were inferior to their Islamic contemporaries in many ways.

i'm talking about when people say the arabs invented distillation or certain concepts in maths.

Maybe they did or maybe they didn't, what's clear is that we won't be getting any of them inventors and scholars :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

None of the bleeding heart liberals do anything to help anyone but themselves.

It's all posturing and trying to appear noble and usually for their facebook and insta accounts.

Incredibly vacuous shallow people.

Funnily enough those they accuse of being racist (ie me) well my partner is an immigrant and my daughter is mixed race. Don't think you can get any more dedicated to another race then spending your life with someone of a different race but these people can't comprehend it.

Ironically that makes me far more tolerant in a way than them but again these folk cannot do logic or irony!.

Reminds me of that Little Britain sketch. Computer says no!. :pac:

That's the Irony of it, there's one in particular I know and they're really really irritating.

They'll treat people like dirt under the guise of my way or the highway, they'll push every boundary they oppose.

But dare you suggest they're hypocritical you'll be micro whataboutery towards them.

Liberal should mean Liberal and not a cherry picker.

Abu Musa Jabir ibn Hayyan - inventor of the alembic pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Regardless of my opinion of current Arabic culture, for which I have deep criticism and reservations, you're absolutely and utterly wrong about Arabian mathematics, despite this to be a pubic knowledge.

Arabian mathematics for absolutely instrumental and essential for development on modern mathematics in Europe by translating, analysing and elaborating on previous Greek and especially Indian mathematicians' works. FFS algebra is called like that for a reason, it's an Arabic word! And we wouldn't even have decimal system in Europe without them, which itself was an Indian invention - we would be using Roman numerals!

I guess you could start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_in_medieval_Islam

It probably uses a lithium-ion battery too. Thanks to Rachid Yazami.

Abu Musa Jabir ibn Hayyan - inventor of the alembic pot.

According to the wikipedia, no, doesn't seem so, he was just an early user of said device, but it was invented before him, and again, before islam.
    It probably uses a lithium-ion battery too. Thanks to Rachid Yazami.

Sure, but all was done in France.

According to the wikipedia, no, doesn't seem so, he was just an early user of said device, but it was invented before him, and again, before islam.
    It is from Arabic that we get the word 'alembic' (al ambic) and alcohol (al cohol). The first means the distillation vessel, and the second, while it was used to describe a very hard lead or antimony based powder, expresses the idea of delicacy and subtlety, as in distillation vapour.
    The still was developed in 800 AD by the Arab alchemist Jabir ibn Hayyan. The word ‘alembic’ is derived from the metaphoric meaning of ‘that which refines; which transmutes’, through distillation.

https://www.lusiancoppers.com/files/StillHistory.pdf

800AD is safely in Islamic territory.
    Sure, but all was done in France.
    By a Muslim Moroccan.

McGiver wrote: »
    Regardless of my opinion of current Arabic culture, for which I have deep criticism and reservations, you're absolutely and utterly wrong about Arabian mathematics, despite this to be a pubic knowledge.

Arabian mathematics for absolutely instrumental and essential for development on modern mathematics in Europe by translating, analysing and elaborating on previous Greek and especially Indian mathematicians' works. FFS algebra is called like that for a reason, it's an Arabic word! And we wouldn't even have decimal system in Europe without them, which itself was an Indian invention - we would be using Roman numerals!

I guess you could start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_in_medieval_Islam
    people are taking me up wrong. i'm not denying that the arabs made massive contributions back in the day. what i'm saying is, pointing to ancient contributions to science and technology by xyz group only highlights that recent contributions by xyz have been pretty thin on the ground.

people are taking me up wrong. i'm not denying that the arabs made massive contributions back in the day. what i'm saying is, pointing to ancient contributions to science and technology by xyz group only highlights that recent contributions by xyz have been pretty thin on the ground.

Particularly where you ignore them.

Particularly where you ignore them.
    i'm ignoring nothing. the powerhouse of innovation since 1500 has been europe and its colonies, thats not taking anything away from the rest of the world. japan since 1945 and more recently korea have taken a central role

back on topic; should Ireland help by taking in more migrants? possibly yes. should the EU rigorously defend the integrity of its sovereign borders? definitely.

https://www.lusiancoppers.com/files/StillHistory.pdf

800AD is safely in Islamic territory.
    That paper is wrong, it was invented before that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alembic#History
    and distillation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation#History

By a Muslim Moroccan.
    ...that left the islamic world to get his education and work done. Probably because he didn't want to compete with all those brilliant muslim scientists in the islamic world.
    In any case, there's none like him coming through Greece or over the Mediterranean. People like him are usually coming through the proper legal entry points, with the relocation expenses reimbursed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Here we see Alastairs skills at work, a thread about Migrants at the Greek and Turkish border and whether Ireland should take them in has turned into an argument over ancient distillation methods.

Here we see Alastairs skills at work, a thread about Migrants at the Greek and Turkish border and whether Ireland should take them in has turned into an argument over ancient distillation methods.

As compared to your remarkable contributions, eh? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

wheres the outright homophobia? honestly missed that??

It's a re-reg account I wouldn't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah that's his MO, change the subjectit's almost like it's his job to drive the subject off topic and get the thread closed!
    Back on topic send European forces to the Greek borders and keep this lot out! We've enough issues with the Coronavirus!

Yeah that's his MO, change the subjectit's almost like it's his job to drive the subject off topic and get the thread closed!
    Back on topic send European forces to the Greek borders and keep this lot out! We've enough issues with the Coronavirus!

Last I heard the Greek military were European forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

Last I heard the Greek military were European forces.
    And? It is an EU border so other countries should help the Greek military

M256 wrote: »
    And?

And what?

M256 wrote: »
    It is an EU border so other countries should help the Greek military

That’s already happening. https://frontex.europa.eu/media-centre/news-release/frontex-to-launch-rapid-border-intervention-at-greece-s-external-borders-NL8HaC

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Are you trying to be sarcastic?
    A Danish patrol boat monitoring the Aegean sea refused an order to push back migrants they rescued, Danish officials told public broadcaster DR.

https://www.politico.eu/article/danish-frontex-boat-refused-order-to-push-back-rescued-migrants-report/
    Jens Møller, the police chief in charge of the Danish unit participating in the operation, told DR that the crew had rescued 33 migrants headed for Greece in a rubber dinghy when they received a radio order from Operation Poseidon's headquarters to put the migrants back into to their dinghy and tow it out of Greek waters.

The crew refused the order, believing it would endanger the lives of the migrants. "The commander considered that [the order] was not justifiable," Møller said, adding that he eventually managed to get the order overturned. The rescued migrants were brought to the Greek island of Kos

Advertisement