Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

alastair wrote:
    What exactly is wrong about Jordan and Lebanon hosting refugees? It’s certainly every states legal responsibility to offer asylum to legitimate refugees.

Yes, as per the UN convention on refugees, signed by almost all countries in 1951 bar failed ones like North Korea etc.

Blueshoe wrote:
    All is well so. Thanks McTaker
    Very intelligent and deep argument indeed. It was a pleasure discuss with you. Now off to pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

All the folks interviewed on the BBC special report over there from a couple of days ago, never once mentioned they're seeking refuge.

All the interviewed (young men), all claimed without pause that they were seeking 'a better life'.
    Economic Migration.

Very very few were even from Syria, as one would assume.
    Also very, very, very few were females.

The gender breakdown and nationality of those entering Greece are recorded.
    50% are adult males, 20% adult women, and 30% children. Syrians comprise the second largest nationality by number - but Afghans are the largest group, at twice the Syrian number.

vriesmays wrote:
    Brainwashed by women teachers in school and not clever enough to think with their minds.
    What? Tin foil hats on.

All the interviewed (young men), all claimed without pause that they were seeking 'a better life'. Economic Migration.

As were millions of TB ridden, malnourished, and otherwise infested Irish farming folk going to the US to get better life, UK 120 years ago.

There's very little difference between a poor farmer from Connacht going to the US 120 years ago and a Syrian refugee going to Ireland in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

McGiver wrote: »
    No you didn't. You're on a discussion forum not in a pub. Shouting 3 word silly slogans won't work here.

Yes I did.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112755282&postcount=210

I highlighted the word 'nurses', and the word 'unskilled', and anyone with a shred of sense would know that is what I was referring to.

But not you.

Therefore, I will elucidate -

Characterising nurses as unskilled is, as I've already told you, is simply being ridiculous.

Putting it mildly.

Characterising nurses as unskilled is, as I've already told you, is simply being ridiculous.
    I said low skilled. You may need to check. What's your point?

I said low skilled. You may need to check. What's your point?

My point is that characterising nurses as low-skilled, is ridiculous. It's every bit as ridiculous as calling them unskilled.

Actually what you said is that
    nurses are all labelled as low skilled

Whereas, that's not a label that attaches routinely to nurses at all.

It's just a figment of your condescending imagination.

Whereas, that's not a label that attaches routinely to nurses at all.
    It is indeed low skilled as well as the social care workers and I could add child care too.

Not doctors, rocket scientists, engineers, researchers, IT people or academics. Hence low skilled. Makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Stop **** with your left arm. Give a break and use your right. Totally changes perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

As were millions of TB ridden, malnourished, and otherwise infested Irish farming folk going to the US or UK to get better life, 120 years ago.

There's very little difference between a poor farmer from Connacht going to the US 120 years ago and a Syrian refugee going to Ireland in 2020.

Apart from the fact that 120 years ago, there was no free accomodation, medical expenses, free food, clothes and free money. Do you guys ever read up on stuff?

Apart from the fact that 120 years ago, there was no free accomodation, medical expenses, free food, clothes and free money. Do you guys ever read up on stuff?

If there wasn't free stuff and it was a 120 years ago in Ireland or Europe for that matter would ya see this mass migration. Not a fooking chance. Is the answer. Btw we don't owe the rest of the world fooking nothing only what we think as good charity. Over n out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not this old nugget again :rolleyes:

There was no free house, prams and welfare cash for those Irish, many were welcomed straight into their civil war. Their lives into a foreign war for a daily slice of bread.

The rest either worked, turned to crime, or starved - in a massive (unexplored, vastly underpopulated) country full of bounties of milk and honey.

The automating world of today will have little oportunity for any unskilled and illiterate going forward. Like it or not, the 4th Industrial Reveloution will be the great seperator or people (like Boris-Patel). The useful, or the redundant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

When you have comments like this from the Turkish interior minister you realise the scum Europe is dealing with

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6667348/migrant-influx-just-the-beginning-turkey/?cs=14232

McTaker has certainly never read up on the history of tuberculosis, for all their smartalec talk about it.

Let's see what the (genuflect here) academics say-
    Tuberculosis is an infectious disease... during the past two hundred years or so the disease entered an epidemic phase which was associated with mass migration...

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30006962?seq=1

Imagine that.

If there wasn't free stuff and it was a 120 years ago in Ireland or Europe for that matter would ya see this mass migration. Not a fooking chance. Is the answer. Btw we don't owe the rest of the world fooking nothing only what we think as good charity. Over n out.

We have a legal obligation to hear asylum claims. It’s not charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I remember a priest suggesting that each parish take one refugee family.

Seems a good idea to me. One family isn’t enough to upset the balance of any community, and dispersing families across different communities would allow them to integrate more fully into those communities in a way they can’t when they’re in direct provision.

alastair wrote: »
    We have a legal obligation to hear asylum claims. It’s not charity.

Ah yes legal. Caught in the loop of prevelant charity. Never ending till the place these people come from looks like the place they desired to get to eventually.

Ah yes legal. Caught in the loop of prevelant charity. Never ending till the place these people come from looks like the place they desired to get to eventually.

Once again - it’s not charity.

Why are Turkey so keen to miss out on the strength that diversity will bring?

Don't they realise the contributions the migrants will bring to their country? They should be begging them to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

No.

Compared to the Irish of century ago (as people so like to bring up to compare, unwisely), it's like winning the lotto, with bells and jingles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think globally every country should help if they can BUT I dont think irelands current system is working very well and the last thing it needs is more people.

Yep it is.

Compared to the Irish of century ago (as people so like to bring up to compare, unwisely), it's like winning the lotto, with bells and jingles on it.

Yeaaaah, that’s not really any sort of bar to measure from.

Yep it is.

It’s not.

Charity prove me wrong like any bogus refugee. Unless ya have kids arriving at border with blow off limbs. What proof do you have?

Asylum provision is a legal obligation that the State agreed to sign up to. There’s nothing charitable in meeting those obligations. Just like social welfare isn’t charity. Just like education provision isn’t charity. If someone claims asylum here, their claim is assessed and if there’s sufficient evidence, they’ll be granted asylum.

It’s not.

So until ya can prove these people are true war! refugees. No other bollix reason. No admission. I mean truly. No bs.

Yeaaaah, that’s not really any sort of bar to measure from.

Agree, yet people still refer to the ah shure what about the Irish going to 'merica like for great cultural benefit of nation (borat style).

• Advertisement

So until ya can prove these people are true war! refugees. No other bollix reason. No admission. I mean truly. No bs.

They don’t have to come from a war zone - just persecution. If they can demonstrate that, they qualify.

Advertisement