Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build - purchasing for 2nd fix electricals

Options
  • 04-03-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Looking for a one stop shop where can get all my sockets & light switches etc

Googled it & there is so much choice its confusing :)

Can someone recommend somewhere in Dublin where there is a good selection to go see them for myself. Hard to know online what your buying

Also good websites would be appreciated

Thanks
    Sponsorgate

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No harm in looking but obviously it will cost far less if the electrical contractor supplies these as a lower VAT rate will apply and the contractor will get trade rates.

Try any of the main electrical wholesalers.

I'd second 2011 ,
    Are you going for something other than plain white?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Sponsorgate

I'd second 2011 ,
    Are you going for something other than plain white?

Yes will be getting chrome light switches for some rooms. Will be adding usb switches in office, want dimmer light switches in some rooms. So to answer your question won't be going for all plain white

Interested in the these sonoff type switches also. Would like to future proof the house now somewhat but I am also fully aware of the cost of this. Will try to get the right mix

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Sponsorgate

2011 wrote: »
    No harm in looking but obviously it will cost far less if the electrical contractor supplies these as a lower VAT rate will apply and the contractor will get trade rates.

Try any of the main electrical wholesalers.

Woodies
    B&Q
    Screwfix

Missing any obvious ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Woodies
    B&Q
    Screwfix

Missing any obvious ones?

Did a renovation recently and B&Q were good on a lot of pieces, wouldn't go near Woodies.

Amazon and ebay are good too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Woodies
    B&Q

Screwfix
    Kellighers
    NEW
    Eurosales

I fixed your post.
    I would avoid Woodies and B & Q at all cost. They are ultra expensive and poorly stocked in my opinion.

Yes will be getting chrome light switches for some rooms. Will be adding usb switches in office, want dimmer light switches in some rooms. So to answer your question won't be going for all plain white

You are best off using your electrician for this. There is a lot of crap out there. Especially when buying USBs sockets, dimmer switches, cooker switches, RJ45s etc. it is very easy to go wrong.
    Interested in the these sonoff type switches also.

I have a lot of these installed in my own home. Only available online. I generally get them from Amazon.

I fixed your post.
    I would avoid Woodies and B & Q at all cost. They are ultra expensive and poorly stocked in my opinion.

Agree with you totally about Woodies but totally disagree about B&Q.

I know from recent experience they have a very big range of sockets and light switches, probably 7 or 8 different types of the chrome alone and they have double chrome sockets starting from under 10 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If you are getting dinner switches make sure they are compatible with your lights. Best off sake your electrician where they buy their goods and go there

Agree with you totally about Woodies but totally disagree about B&Q.

Fair enough.
    I know from recent experience they have a very big range of sockets and light switches, probably 7 or 8 different types of the chrome alone and they have double chrome sockets starting from under 10 euro.

It’s not just about price and it is not just about sockets and switches. If wiring a house I want to be able to purchase a large number of high quality 2nd fix accessories all matching (from the same range) including but not limited to:
    - socket outlets
    - DP isolators
    - Spur outlets
    - Cooker switch
    - RJ45 outlets
    - USB sockets
    - Grid switches with 2 way on/off switch modules, LED comparable dimmer modules & other modules I haven’t thought of yet
    - HDMI sockets
    - Coaxial sockets, grid and normal types
    - Single and double blank plates
    - Fan isolators
    - Shaver socket outlet

The list goes on. Can B & Q offer this all from the same range at a competitive price?? I very much doubt it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

It’s not just about price and it is not just about sockets and switches. If wiring a house I want to be able to purchase a large number of high quality 2nd fix accessories all matching (from the same range) including but not limited to:
    - socket outlets
    - DP isolators
    - Spur outlets
    - Cooker switch
    - RJ45 outlets
    - USB sockets
    - Grid switches with 2 way on/off switch modules, LED comparable dimmer modules & other modules I haven’t thought of yet
    - HDMI sockets
    - Coaxial sockets, grid and normal types
    - Single and double blank plates
    - Fan isolators
    - Shaver socket outlet

The list goes on. Can B & Q offer this all from the same range at a competitive price?? I very much doubt it.

Look dude, the chap that started the thread asked specifically about sockets and switches.

I tried to help, you contradicted my post and brought price into the chat, I pointed out I was speaking from experience and gave examples then you go off on one about what you want if your wiring a house.

It's not all about you, and people don't have to be electricians or mods to give advice in a thread about electricals.

I was only trying to help.

Look dude, the chap that started the thread asked specifically about sockets and switches.

Correct but as we both know there are plenty more 2nd fix accessories in a home than sockets and switches. Like most I read “sockets and switches” as being just 2 examples of a range of accessories that are required for the OP’s self build.

It would be a very odd house if it has no other 2nd fix accessories:D
    I tried to help, you contradicted my post

Yes, just like you contradicted me, so what??? Chill out
    It’s a discussion forum, people have differing views, that is what happens.

I’m just a random guy on the internet that has a point of view that does not align with yours, there is no point getting upset about it.

and brought price into the chat

?????... well it is kind of an important factor.
    I pointed out I was speaking from experience and gave examples then you go off on one about what you want if your wiring a house.

You know the OP has an entire house to wire, right?
    The clue is in the thread title :D
    people don't have to be electricians or mods to give advice in a thread about electricals.

I don’t think anyone suggested otherwise.
    I was only trying to help.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Your view is welcome just don’t get upset when others want to express their views even if they don’t align perfectly with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Screwfix is owned by Kingfisher (the same parent company as B&Q).

I would avoid Screwfix too (as well as B&Q and Woodies).

Proper electrical wholesalers are the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

I was surprised to see that B&Q have fairly decent brands like MK and Volex on the UK website anyhow

Still, you wouldn't be stocking up for a 2nd fix, I doubt they'd be competitive.

I was surprised to see that B&Q have fairly decent brands like MK and Volex on the UK website anyhow

Still, you wouldn't be stocking up for a 2nd fix, I doubt they'd be competitive.

In my opinion MK is overpriced poor quality gear, and has been for quite a number of years now. In fact many wholesalers stopped stocking them quite some time ago. And their circuit protection range has now been discontinued altogether. (In fact they never produced any Type A RCDs and also had no SPDs available.)

I would consider the specification of MK by some to be merely a hangover which has carried across from old specs.

Anyway the OP said "one stop shop"

So the answer is a reputable electrical wholesalers

Risteard81 wrote: »
    In my opinion MK is overpriced poor quality gear, and has been for quite a number of years now. In fact many wholesalers stopped stocking them quite some time ago. And their circuit protection range has now been discontinued altogether. (In fact they never produced any Type A RCDs and also had no SPDs available.)

I would consider the specification of MK by some to be merely a hangover which has carried across from old specs.

Ya could be I haven't used them lately

Maybe that's why B&Q have them now

Certainly no-one certifiably sane would stock up on 2nd fix gear at one of these DIY outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Screwfix is owned by Kingfisher (the same parent company as B&Q).

I would avoid Screwfix too (as well as B&Q and Woodies).

Proper electrical wholesalers are the answer.

Just curious as to why you suggest avoiding Screwfix? Iv bought loads of electrical stuff out of there and had no issues. They are handy for bits and pieces and they aren't too dear.

Now If i were the OP and i was building a house i would go to a wholesaler over any of those other stores which were mentioned.

alta stare wrote: »
    Just curious as to why you suggest avoiding Screwfix? Iv bought loads of electrical stuff out of there and had no issues. They are handy for bits and pieces and they aren't too dear.

Now If i were the OP and i was building a house i would go to a wholesaler over any of those other stores which were mentioned.

As I pointed out they are a subsidiary of Kingfisher just as B&Q is.

Also their "LAP" range is complete and utter rubbish. Most people I know refer to it as "CRAP". Anything unusual or outside of the domestic arena is not stocked at all.

They can be alright for emergency purchases after most places have closed or on a Sunday etc., but other than that I think their use is limited.

Never found much use for Screwfix
    They never seem to have anything worth buying, over priced on power tools as well

• Advertisement

Just on a further point I note on their website that they describe Schneider RCBOs as "Type B" - clearly they are referring to the MCB characteristics. But then they refer to a Garo device as "Type A" - which is clearly referring to the RCD characteristics.

I have heard of cases where people have purchased either Type AC or Type A RCBOs with a B curve and believed they had fitted a Type B RCD. Clearly this isn't the case. I bought a Type B RCCB for a job in the past couple of days and the cost was around £150 and it is four module - even for single phase - so clearly a €30-40 double or single module device isn't going to provide that.

In fact I'm not aware of any RCBOs which have a Type B RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

As I pointed out they are a subsidiary of Kingfisher just as B&Q is.

Also their "LAP" range is complete and utter rubbish. Most people I know refer to it as "CRAP". Anything unusual or outside of the domestic arena is not stocked at all.

They can be alright for emergency purchases after most places have closed or on a Sunday etc., but other than that I think their use is limited.

Funnily enough talking about their LAP stuff, my mother wanted a cheap led floodlight so i got her one of those and told her it probably wont last two months......many months later it is still working away which has greatly surprised me. :D

I find Screwfix handy for small bits and pieces. Their click and collect is stupid though as i find still having to wait for stuff ordered for collection is a pain in the ass. It has no advantage at all as you would still be waiting around just as long as you would be if you just dropped in there to buy something.

Anyway the OP said "one stop shop"

So the answer is a reputable electrical wholesalers

This.

Just on a further point I note on their website that they describe Schneider RCBOs as "Type B" - clearly they are referring to the MCB characteristics. But then they refer to a Garo device as "Type A" - which is clearly referring to the RCD characteristics.

I have heard of cases where people have purchased either Type AC or Type A RCBOs with a B curve and believed they had fitted a Type B RCD. Clearly this isn't the case. I bought a Type B RCCB for a job in the past couple of days and the cost was around £150 and it is four module - even for single phase - so clearly a €30-40 double or single module device isn't going to provide that.

In fact I'm not aware of any RCBOs which have a Type B RCD.
    Ya it's a dog's dinner I see that
    They should have the type AC or A shown and the tripping characteristic, not the tripping characteristic shown as the Type of Rcbo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,102 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Risteard81 wrote:

Bought a dozen MK cooker type isolation switches for electric showers in B&Q last year. I was stunned at how bad quality they were. I actually broke one while tightening a cable. Definitely not the MK quality of yesteryear

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bought a dozen MK cooker type isolation switches for electric showers in B&Q last year. I was stunned at how bad quality they were. I actually broke one while tightening a cable. Definitely not the MK quality of yesteryear

Absolutely, and it's sad because it's a brand which certainly could have been relied on in the past. In fact it was seen as the gold standard. Unfortunately they appear to be trading on these past glories.

Advertisement