Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Comments

How does it compare to Sky Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Im not sure why you would sign up for a trial when you clearly have a non-standard, non-supported setup. Engineer will leave and you'll just go and change everything, bridge the modem and all sorts of shannigans and then you're absolutely useless for testing purposes.

Got a call from the engineer this evening to confirm its 4x V6 boxes I need. I explained that while I do have 2x HD boxes, a Horizon box and an older DVR active, I assumed I was only getting 1 V6 trial box. He said no, that if I had 4 active boxes on the account, they would be replacing all 4 with a V6 as he said some of the functionality they want some of the trialists to test involves multiple boxes. (I presume its things like Record/start watching in one room->watch/finish watching in another etc) Thrilled to hear this as ultimately I wanted multiple V6 boxes anyway so that HD Sports would be available in all rooms again.

He asked about our cables because if our cables were older than about 10 years he may have had to do all new cable runs from the eaves tap for every box and could be here for half the day. Thrilled when I told him we had dual CT100 COAX and Ethernet runs from a central location near the Eaves Tap running to every room and after describing the internal makeup of the CoAX and UPC connectors on them he was happy we had the RG6 comparable cable the boxes needed already in place, meaning he could fit in a few installs earlier in the day and was happy to oblige me by coming at 3pm after I've finished work so I don't need to change shifts to accomadate the install either.

He asked me about my modem and he gasped in shock when I told him I was still on a Cisco 3925. I laughed and said, its never given me an ounce of trouble for 10 years because the first thing I did when I opened its box over 10 years ago was to install a 120mm PC fan running at 5v powered from its USB port and bridged it to an ASUS Router. He said they would need to replace it with the 360 Modem/Router but said they would put it in Bridge mode for me no problem without me even asking.

TBH, the ASUS RT N66U is 10 years old itself now and I've turned off the WIFI on that at this point nevermind the Cisco 3925. Running 2 WIFI AC Access Points elsewhere in better locations in the house.

You do realise UPC/Virgin support bridging on their newer modem/routers now though don't you. You just have to ring them to switch you to IP4and as I said the engineer didn't bat an eye metaphorically speaking when I mentioned how my Cisco was bridged and he suggested he could bridge the 360 modem for me.

How exactly am I useless for testing purposes again?? My non standard setup compared to most is letting them test their multi-box interconnectivity over a full home ethernet network. They likely already know that wireless interconnectivity will be a nightmare to support just like Sky Q Boxes and their mesh network are. They've got someone in me who is computer literate enough to bridge his own modems, manage his home netwrk, configure access points, make his own Ethernet cables and follow instructions. I'd say they got ucky having me as a trialist who if they wanted me to, could disconnect ethernet to all boxes and configure the boxes WIFI connectivity after install, test and diagnose signal levels with WIFI analyser, change channel frequencies etc and give them an idea how a 4 box system performs in a Victorian era home with 1ft thick walls.

They are LUCKY to have me as a trialist!! LOL!! ;);)

Hogzy wrote: »
    Really disappointed I didnt get selected for the trial. I have bitched and moaned enough about it over the years!!!

If you google Virgin Media 360 quite a bit of info comes up on it. Here is the official VM Link https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/

Also see this video of it in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJwiaG4Ij0

Thanks for the link. Just noticed that they are infact doing 360 Mini boxes. ie. Like Sky Q Mini's. I remember when this question was asked/talked about on the old UPC/Virgin Forum that the answer was there was just one type of V6 box and if you wanted it in multi-rooms you got multply large V6 boxes.....or that thats the way multiroom was done with the V6 in the UK where it was already in customers hands. Anyway, I'm glad to see its just one main box and minis for the rest as only one of my TV locations has an equipment rack that can easily and aesthetically accomadate the larger V6 box, The mini boxes will be a much better physical and aesthetic fit at my other TV locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Calibos wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Just noticed that they are infact doing 360 Mini boxes. ie. Like Sky Q Mini's. I remember when this question was asked/talked about on the old UPC/Virgin Forum that the answer was there was just one type of V6 box and if you wanted it in multi-rooms you got multply large V6 boxes.....or that thats the way multiroom was done with the V6 in the UK where it was already in customers hands. Anyway, I'm glad to see its just one main box and minis for the rest as only one of my TV locations has an equipment rack that can easily and aesthetically accomadate the larger V6 box, The mini boxes will be a much better physical and aesthetic fit at my other TV locations.

I have. 360 box, self installed. Broadband on separate router. Up and running after 15 mins with no issue. It's a Humax box and about half the size of horizon box but taller. It's quiet, maybe SSD? It's fast too. Interface and navigation work as expected like a normal experience, unlike horizon. Not using it too much , picture quality seems better but haven't checked much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Main box only has a hard drive so all your recordings go on this box. Advantages and one disadvantage if main box fails.

Mini boxes still need a coaxial cable feed for linear tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

They are LUCKY to have me as a trialist!! LOL!! ;);)

Sure, WOW, much tech, very internets, cool story bro.

Sure, WOW, much tech, very internets, cool story bro.
    Whooooosh....

Wink wink was to indicate I was taking the piss with/of my own self aggrandisement..while at the same time countering your argument that I am useless as a triallist. I’m sure your sarcastic wit makes you lots of friends. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

How do you get UHD/4k with this box and is there only 1 UHD channel available?
    Will it allow you to watch Netflix/Amazon Prime 4k as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

and does it broadcast 4k HDR? Sky Q box just rolled out HDR this week

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

I take it this box won't have HDMI CEC,since the original English one doesn't?.I thought I read here that we were getting a new version of this box not the original V6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

My understanding is that what is variously known as “V6”, “EOS”, “Horizon 4”, “Mediabox Next” and “Virgin Media 360” is exactly the same box hardware wise and that the only difference is that the U.K. got different software based on the TiVo platform that VM was already running there whereas everyone else (including Ireland) gets an updated version of Horizon.

Looking forward to it,was hoping for hdmi CEC but not a big problem, running it through an AV amp,can still use an optical cable for surround sound.Thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to it,was hoping for hdmi CEC but not a big problem, running it through an AV amp,can still use an optical cable for surround sound.Thanks for the reply.

Be careful what you wish for...

Install went without a hitch on all my older HD Plasma TV's but black screen with intermittant quick flashes of glitchy image on my 4K LED via a 10 year old HDMI cable buried in wall. Installer thought it was his first Dud 360 mini so got another from the van. Same thing. Took the HDMI Dolby Atmos amp out of the loop. Same thing. We both agreed there was something unique about this room/cabling/setup in this room that was the issue. It then occured to me that maybe CEC was the issue in some way as I'd heard it can cause more problems than it solves sometimes. Installer clicked his fingers and agreed when I suggested that. However trying to disable CEC/Simplink in the TV menu didn't seem to do anything and the problem was still there. It was late in the day and installer said he'd be back with higher level tech the next day as this would be a teaching experience for them anyway (ie half the point of the trial is to iron out install bugs/scenarios) before the roll out to customers.

After he was gone I tried some other cables. A 5M HMDI cable of slightly newer vintage than the one buried in the wall plugged into the TV's HDMI 2 port worked and at least allowed me to go into the Media Box menu and tell it to Display 1080p instead of Auto. That didn't solve the inwall cable connected to HDMI 1 port on the TV though. Then it occured to me to swap the in wall cable to HDMI port 2 and Bingo!!

My theory is that HDMI Port 1 on the TV has CEC but HDMI port 2 doesn't. The in-wall cable is old enough not to support 4K bandwidth but CEC on the TV was telling the Media box to send 4K (and overriding 1080p setting when I changed it) Cable couldn't pass it. Switching the cable to HDMI port 2 without CEC meant no signal from the TV telling MediaBox to send 4K and thus it defaulted to my 1080p setting which the in-wall HDMI 1.2?? cable can and did support with the Horizon Box.

Don't care about 4K content anyway at 55" screen size at current viewing distance and getting to use the cable buried in the Chimney breast for aesthetics is preferable to me so not being able to send 4K from the box to this TV on the Chimney Breast as my setup current stands is not a problem for me at all. I'll only be interested in 4K content when I upgrade the 1080p projector in the same room to a 4K one when they come down in price and that is not reliant on an old HDMI 1.2 cable buried in a wall as the projector hidden on a different shelf can be connected to the Atmos Amp and Mediabox via HDMI 2.0+ cables every step of the way. Come to think of it, when I implement that aspect of the setup and build the appropriate cabinetry, I'll have 4K to the 4KTV anyway (though it might be a 4K OLED at that point and not a Cheapish LG 4K 55" LED) Plan to move the TV location off the Chimney Breast to the wall I currently project onto and build a longer Faux Radiator cabinet to house new low profile front L/C/R speakers and Sub and an Electric Projection screen that rises out the top of the Faux Radiator cabinet in front of the TV. ie. 5m HDMI 2.0 to the TV can be chased in behind replaced skirting board and hidden most of the way inside the faux rad cabinet. An extension of the empty radiator cabinet idea I already half implemented if only to have somewhere to hold my Centre speaker close to the screen. LOL

edPScUp.jpg

Also self diagnosed my Bridged HUB 3.0 speedtesting at 95mbits which installer and higher level tech were going to investigate the next day.Why 90-100mbit everytime I asked myself after they went. Eureka!! HUB Bridged to my Asus router and onto my 24 port switch and home network must have been negotiating at 100mbit network speeds instead of Gigabit. Swapped the ethernet cable between the HUB 3.0 and myh Asus Router and Bingo!SPeedTest now showing my usual 250mbit download.

Texted back installer that he only needed to come back to collect our old 4 STB's which will probably be Tuesday as we both forgot it was a BH weekend.

Yeah, I'm useless as a Trialist alright! LOL. :rolleyes:

;);)

That was a right mess, very frustrating,glad you got it sorted out,so far no problems with my equipment using HDMI CEC through an Onkyo amp,if there's none on the new box then il use as normal with V6 going to hdmi1 ontv with optical cable to amp for surround sound.Hdmi 2 runs a 4k Blu Ray Player and an Android box with CEC no problems thank god.

That was a right mess, very frustrating,glad you got it sorted out,so far no problems with my equipment using HDMI CEC through an Onkyo amp,if there's none on the new box then il use as normal with V6 going to hdmi1 ontv with optical cable to amp for surround sound.Hdmi 2 runs a 4k Blu Ray Player and an Android box with CEC no problems thank god.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a right mess. 3 out of the 4 box installs went without a hitch, Hub was bridged to my Asus router in seconds and Internet back up and running quickly. It was one of my own Ethernet cables that was dodgy causing it to negotiate at 100mbit. My own 10 year old HDMI 1.2 (??) in-wall cable causing the hiccup with the final box install. I wasn't stressed or frustrated by it because I knew we'd figure it out. We just ran out of time that day because mine was the last install of the day. Its not like I had to take a day off work even if he did have to come back the next day. Work is next door so I could come in to him whenever he visited again.

I have 3 of the boxes on wired Ethernet connections. Every room has 2x CT100/RG6 Coax and 2x Ethernet. However one room with a TV has a big old Wardrobe infront of wall plate and I wasn't about to empty it and move it to plug in an ethernet cable for that box so we set it up with the KODI boxes ethernet cable and I did the WIFI setup later and swapped the ethernet back to the KODI box. One of my Wireless Access points is in the room below so the signal strengh was full bars and the Media boxes network diagnostics showed excellent signal strength/speed and a big green tick mark beside UltraHD.

He had worried he was going to have to replace all the COAX in the house from the TAP but was thrilled to find out I had CT100/RG6 from a Side Attic Central point near the TAP outside to every room in the house. Ironically, it was the 2010 UPC installed COAX from the TAP to my 2010 internal COAX cabling that was below spec for the new boxes.

Loving the new Mediaboxes BTW and plan to max out multiroom and get another 2 mini's. Installer said a max of 6 boxes are supported. (1x Main and 5xMini's) which is more than SKY but I guess thats because Virgin Mini's need a COAX as well as network connection whereas SKY Q is sending everything over the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hogzy wrote: »
    Really disappointed I didnt get selected for the trial. I have bitched and moaned enough about it over the years!!!

If you google Virgin Media 360 quite a bit of info comes up on it. Here is the official VM Link https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/

Also see this video of it in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJwiaG4Ij0

Same, every time they sent out a survey i would go to town on them about how bad the TV box is. They don't care at all

Same, every time they sent out a survey i would go to town on them about how bad the TV box is. They don't care at all

Sometimes a critic and sometimes a defender of them on the UPC/Virgin Customer Interaction forum on boards and expressed interest in the trial over there several times. Don't recall ever PM'ing my Account details to the Reps for that reason specifically, though I guess they could have done a User name search and gotten my account number from an unrelated old query and put a flag on my account to offer me a Trial when they started. That said, IIRC I officially applied for the trial via a link in a Promotional email that I received from Virgin on March 4th. Did I receive that email because I'd expressed interest in the trial on the CI forum here on boards or did everyone get that Trial email early March and I was just lucky to be selected and it was coincidental that I had expressed interest last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Bought a new build in an estate that is prewired for VM. The master bedroom has coax outlets as well as the sitting room.

I take it the new mediabox in the bedroom can connect to the box in the sitting room via WiFi? No ethernet in the master bedroom. Just the coax for the VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes over WiFi be fine once you have a good wifi signal. Linear Tv is via coax on all boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I take it this box won't have HDMI CEC,since the original English one doesn't?.I thought I read here that we were getting a new version of this box not the original V6.

It does have CEC on by default, some people have turned to off, especially with amps etc, but for me its handy that it turns on and off the tv in one click.

Another cool thing is keep your old D4A (not horizon) remote as it works with the new box as a backup.

There is also a nice 'find my remote' feature (press channel up on box for 10 seconds). My kids love it.

• Advertisement

Tried to persuade Virgin to let me pay for another one or two 360 mini boxes but no go, certainly not during the trial. Then investigated Mirroring the VirginTV Anywhere App to a TV with a Chromecast but apparently Virgin Block this now to protect Multiroom Subs. How ironic when I only researched Casting to Chromecast because they wouldn't sell me another multiroom sub or two! LOL

Had a brainwave though. I have AMlogic S922X powered Odroid N2's running CoreElec KODI for every TV. I could install Android 9.0 on two of them and run KODI as an APP but importantly also run the VirginTV Anywhere app. ie Boot up device and be able to select whether I want to use KODI or Watch TV via the VirginTV Anywhere App.

Is anyone else here using the VirginTV Anywhere App from the playstore on a little Android Set Topbox like the Odroid N2 as opposed to the usual use-case of running it on a phone or tablet? The VirginTV ANywhere app just treats it like the latter and doesn't treat it as casting and disable the app or anything like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why do they even need to trial these if they have already been in use in the UK for a year now?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

The VirginTV ANywhere app just treats it like the latter and doesn't treat it as casting and disable the app or anything like that??

Bear in mind that the app will only allow two devices to view TV. Not even simultaniously, you can only have two devices registered in the app at any time.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the app will only allow two devices to view TV. Not even simultaniously, you can only have two devices registered in the app at any time.

R

Thats why the Android Box could be the better option as its not casting to another device connected to the TV, its connected directly. Apparently even when Virgin allowed Casting it was a PITA because both the Casting device like your phone or tablet and the receiving device like the CHromecast counted as connected devices as far as the VirginTV ANywhere app was concerned and thus both slots were taken up to display content on a single TV. With an Android box that shouldn'tbe the case.

Are you sure about non simultaneoud usage though? The way I read Virgins Blurb is that only 2 devices can be actively displaying content but that other registered devices can still interact with the App to set recordings etc. The other limitation being that you can only swap in/out one new/old device per month in terms of registered active devices.
    Are there any restrictions on devices using Virgin TV Anywhere or the app?

You can register up to two separate devices per calendar month, but you will only be able to watch TV on two of them. You can use the others to view the guide and set up recordings if you like.

Some content may not be available to play over 3G or 4G data connections on your mobile or tablet. An error message explaining this is the case. To continue viewing you'll need to connect to WiFi or via Ethernet cable

You may be right though. It could be interpretted either way.

Why do they even need to trial these if they have already been in use in the UK for a year now?

The UK has had the Humax V6 main Box for a year but running a TIVO OS/UI whereas we have gotten an updated Humax V6 main box and Humax Mini boxes for multiroom running Virgins new in-house OS/UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Have you been able to compare the 1080p picture to 4k at all?

Have you been able to compare the 1080p picture to 4k at all?

No, haven't come across The UHD channel if there is one, but I’ve been distracted the past week trying to get VirginTV Anywhere Android app working on an Odroid N2 box that I have for KODI seeing as Virgin wont let me order 2 more 360 mini’s. Ive already maxed out multiroom with one main and 3 mini’s. Got it working btw, so I’ll have Virgin TV Anywhere opening as an external app from a link inside KODI which once I figure out how to get get Android KODI To autostart on bootup will mean an almost appliance like integration.

Even if there is a UHD channel there to try out, it’ll be a while before I can check it out as the 4K TV is using an old HDMI 1.2 cable buried in the Chimney Breast that doesn't support 4K bandwidth, so to test I’ll have to bring the 360 box over to the mantle piece and connect it to the TV with a short HDMI 2.0 cable I have. I’lo do that when I have to disconnect everything in the equipment rack anyway to untangle the spagetti junction cable mess that has developed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

There are many rooms in my father's mansion.[John 14:2]

Mearings wrote: »
    There are many rooms in my father's mansion.[John 14:2]

And Lo the Lord said, behold Virgin TV in every room! ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The main complaints with the TV product is the poor and buggy software of the horizon box. That they would ignore a decade of complaints, and give us an updated version of the same software (I assume written by the same team that produced years of bugs and bad design in the original software) is not a good sign.

That is has taken years to get this to trial here when they have better solutions in place elsewhere is just baffling.

Advertisement