Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thank you. What do you mean by feed?

A co-ax cable needs to connect into the tv box.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Just looking ahead on TV guide and from Thursday next Fox HD says channel no longer available, another one bites the dust,yet the prices keep going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just looking ahead on TV guide and from Thursday next Fox HD says channel no longer available, another one bites the dust,yet the prices keep going up.

Compare and contrast with the amount of channels (and the relatively low price) for our UK cousins.

We are subsidising them and their bigger TV channel selection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Fox closing isn’t VM’s fault, Disney has changed strategy and Disney+ is now it’s outlet for all the stuff that used to be on Fox. It’s closing in the U.K. too (exact same channel).

Liberty now only owns 50% of Virgin Media U.K., it’s now 50% owned by Telefonica since the start of the month. They are going to be doing their own separate things in the future and the Irish operation may end up sold to someone else. It’s not like Sky where the U.K. and Irish operations are completely integrated with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭deravarra

icdg wrote: »

Liberty now only owns 50% of Virgin Media U.K., it’s now 50% owned by Telefonica since the start of the month. They are going to be doing their own separate things in the future and the Irish operation may end up sold to someone else. It’s not like Sky where the U.K. and Irish operations are completely integrated with each other.

Liberty owned 100% of VM before and still treated the irish as second class citizens.

The horrible thing about a lot of these and other companies is that they treat the UK and Ireland as one geographical unit when it comes to management, but then give the Irish a dumbed down version of whatever they are selling in the UK, add on a few extra quid, and tell us how grateful we should be for getting it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

deravarra wrote: »
    ...... but then give the Irish a dumbed down version of whatever they are selling in the UK, add on a few extra quid, and tell us how grateful we should be for getting it in the first place.

+1 no different to what has been happening for years with the likes of cars. But it's not always the fault of John Bull or Johnny Foreigner.

For years, right-hand drive cars manufactured for the UK and Irish markets were produced to different specs, usually with goodies like electric windows and/or A/C omitted from cars destined for the Irish market.

In each case, the decision to under spec the Irish models would have been made by the Irish distributor. Who knew that we were prepared to pay the same or more for an inferior product. And we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Goose81

The virgin website is terrible for finding info, does anyone know whether you can get 4k sports channels on virgin with the new boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

They are going to be doing their own separate things in the future and the Irish operation may end up sold to someone else.

Well that was accurate!!!!! Any investment tips or lotto numbers? 🀔😀
    https://informitv.com/2021/06/27/virgin-media-ireland-for-sale/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Goose81 wrote: »
    The virgin website is terrible for finding info, does anyone know whether you can get 4k sports channels on virgin with the new boxes?

No channels are available in 4K.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    No channels are available in 4K.

What a joke of a company, if I could change to sky I would in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement

What a joke of a company, if I could change to sky I would in a heartbeat.

They've feck all in 4K too.

Which sports channels are you referring to? AFAIK sky don't have 4k channels, only 4k red button type feeds for specific ad-hoc events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

CoBo55 wrote: »
    They've feck all in 4K too.

Sky regularly have live sport in 4K.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Sky regularly have live sport in 4K.

Don't have sport myself I'd say it looks good in 4k

The only full time 4K Sport channel in these islands is BT Sport Ultimate, which Virgin do carry in the U.K., but they don’t carry BT Sport here at all and no carrier here carries that channel.

Sky do offer 4K sports - mainly Premier League. But there’s no full time channel, it is offered via a red button prompt where available.

I wouldn’t get too worked up on it; only larger screen TVs really benefit, on smaller screens you really will be pushed to notice the difference from HD.

Well that was accurate!!!!! Any investment tips or lotto numbers? 🀔😀
    https://informitv.com/2021/06/27/virgin-media-ireland-for-sale/

Liberty Global CEO Mike Fries has been talking about a sale/JV for months; it’s old news at this stage! Nothing new in the Sunday Times article yesterday really. The difficulty really is that Liberty may be eager to sell but is there anyone out there eager to buy?

Rumours Patrick Drahi a Franco-Israeli is seriously interested in buying. He is biggest shareholder in BT. Deutsche Telekom also a possibility.

The only full time 4K Sport channel in these islands is BT Sport Ultimate, which Virgin do carry in the U.K., but they don’t carry BT Sport here at all and no carrier here carries that channel.

Sky do offer 4K sports - mainly Premier League. But there’s no full time channel, it is offered via a red button prompt where available.

I wouldn’t get too worked up on it; only larger screen TVs really benefit, on smaller screens you really will be pushed to notice the difference from HD.

Which is exactly what I have, a 55 inch lg oled and you most definitely notice the difference, especially when it's HDR which alot of sky's 4k channel's are in (mostly sports)

The HDR feature is more important than 4k but HDR only really comes packaged with 4k.

Eurosport 4K would have been nice for the Olympics.

This might be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just looking at the stories today about Sky One changing it's name,it's breaking into two separate channels called Sky Max and Sky Showcase.

Max will show an amalgamation of the best of the various Sky entertainment channels and Showcase will show the best of Sky's home produced progs, Sky Comedy will also be affected too it seems.

Just wondering if and how we could be affected by this, change's are set to take place on September first.

Knowing Virgin we will come off the worst.

No that's wrong about Sky Max. It is basically the old Sky One less comedy and Sky Showcase is like the Sports Main Event but for shows from various Sky channels.

My reading of it suggests Max will have an amalgamation of the best of the various Sky channels and showcase will be Sky's home produced progs.Whichever way it pans out I just hope Virgin give us both.

I'd imagine Virgin get at least Max.

'Morris went on to note that Sky Showcase will feature some of the outlet's best shows from across Sky Witness, Sky Documentaries, Sky Crime, Sky Nature, Sky Arts, Sky Max, Sky Comedy, Sky History, Sky Kids, E! and Syfy.

It'll host highlights from movie-based platform Sky Cinema and Sky Sports, too.' - DigitalSpy

CNN is getting pulled from Virgin Media in the U.K. and BT. I think we can forget about getting it in HD on Virgin 360 box here - hopefully we can hang on to the SD channel as no CNN subscription service available here yet.

Sky Showcase now on and Max will follow later.

Are we definitely getting Max as well ?.®

Yes - now that could be days or weeks but yes it's going on Virgin Media Ireland.

• Advertisement

CNN are encrypting the feed on Astra and only sky will have it so i'm doubtful :(

Advertisement