Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

I agree with most of your post except I like having the SD versions of channels as SD takes up far less disc space when recording. I watch live in HD but try to record in SD where possible. Also I’m not aware of any Lip Sync issues on any of the channels that I watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Doomofman

This bit about Sky Box Office wasn't true for me the last time I watched a box office event (the Joshua/Usyk fight) it was in HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I'm sorry but it's SD. There has never been a HD version of Sky Sports Box on UPC/Virgin Media boxes

I took a picture of the PPV event you mentioned, which states the programme is SD quality, as I thought this issue might come up (Image attached), as the Title of 862 is PPV HD in error

Also, in the 2nd image you'll see Virgin Media state the channel is only available in SD in the booklet provided with the 360 Box

I wish I could prove this to you..

I ordered and watched the Joshua/Usyk fight, I'm 99.99999999999% certain it was in HD, yes I can tell the difference between SD and HD before anyone suggests I can't.

I even went onto Virgin's chat support before I ordered the event to double check it was in HD because it was the first event I'd ordered on Virgin since the channel started to show the HD logo, before that I would order through the Box Office website and watch online because the quality was better that way

I believe you, I can't confirm if it's SD or HD as I've never purchased a PPV event on VM

I'm only going on what was on previous UPC/VM boxes, when there was 2 PPV channels in the 800's and both were SD, and that the 360 box stated that programme you watched was flagged as SD using the Info button and that the booklet which came with the 360 box states it is SD (in the images above)

I know the Label and Logo say HD, but Logos and Channel Names are never 100% correct when it comes to UPC/VM. Even Virgin Media More on channel 100 doesn't have HD in the title even though it is HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did they not teach you scientific notation in school😊 You sure it was HD 🤔

Haha this whole thing has made me question it but I'm like 99.99999999% certain. I remember after I got the text that the order had been processed I went and checked the channel to make sure it was HD and it was on that kind of banner thing at that stage (it's like a red screen with event details and pictures of the two headline fighters etc) and I was happy that it was, pretty sure it had the Sky Sports Box Office HD watermark in the top right and all.

I was thinking that maybe the channel is generally in SD but the events are in HD if that makes sense? Also I have Sky Sports HD so I'm assuming it would be SD if I didn't have that

Well, the next time there's a PPV worth getting, I'll be sure to grab it and hopefully I'll remember to come back to this tread to say if I was right or an idiot :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Interesting move from VM U.K. (which is more or less now completely separate from VM Ireland, so no guarantee it’ll be replicated here at all).

So Stream costs £35, is available to VM U.K. broadband only subscribers, and is a small Horizon 4 powered box with no PVR which gives access to a basic cable line up, and you can add various premium packages and streaming services (which VM hope you’ll pay for through them).

Clearly aimed at the “cord cutters”, though I assume the live channels (which are basically the Freeview line up) are still DVB-C rather than actually streamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The hardware is on Test here as an additional wi-fi 360 box but yes I doubt you will see an option like that here at least for awhile. Channels are streamed not DVB-C.

Post edited by Delta2113 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My understanding was that VM runs everything including fibre broadband through the coaxial outlet boxes.

Not totally clear on the details but family member got new VM coax boxes installed as upgrading to 360 with broadband.

But there also seemed to be another cable coming into main room - ethernet?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Havea look at the channel list, it includes RTE 1, RTE 2 and TG4 ?? I'm guessing this is a list for Virgin Northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭CoBo55

New installs are using ftth to a box outside similar to siro, coax then goes from there to the VM modem. The older legacy cable system are using coax all the way.

Correct - those channels anly available to stream in Northern Ireland.

Yeah that's what I thought for VM.

Actually I may have gotten wrong end of stick. The unexpected cabling is in a new extension, they assumed it was VM related. Possibly when the extension was being built\wired up, cat 6 cabling was put in there? Although it's not much use if just in one room.

Setting up TV360 for family member... weird remote problem.

Trying to pair the remote with the box and I see a message "Pairing Failed" when I hold down TV button and 0.

So the remote is communicating to the box and the box is aware something is trying to communicate with it... but pairing won't stick.

I tried reset of remote using TV button and rewind.

Tried new batteries.

Restarted box.

What's weird is that the old remote for a DVR set top box does work.

Anyone else with Sky Sports Premier League in HD? Does it hitch every couple of seconds for you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Yes the same thing is happening on Sky Digital. Actually that hitching was in RTÉ's news reports last Sunday night from games on that channel.

Oh interesting. It doesn't happen on Now TV which is odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anyone find that they get dumped into an Amazon Prime menu when trying to replay an older RTE program via the TV360 box?

I saw that RTE was repeating the 'Great Lighthouses of Ireland' series - episode 2 was on last night (Sun 15th). So I brought up the 'episodes' option, selected episode 1 and watched about two-thirds of it. It was using the RTE player because I wasn't allowed to FF through the ad breaks. When I later wanted to watch the remainder of episode 1, I thought it would come up on the 'continue watching' screen but it didn't appear there so I chased it down again from the 'episodes' option of the EPG listing for Sunday's episode. When I selected the 'watch' option, the screen went blank, up comes an Amazon Prime logo and it's asking me to sign up! It listed the Great Lighthouses series, showed me that episode 1 was available but I would have to sign up to view it.

Edit: it since occurred to me that I started watching episode 1 while episode 2 was being broadcast so ep1 was not yet 7 days old. When I went to watch the remainder of ep1, ep2 had finished so ep1 was now more than 7 days old and maybe that's why I could no longer watch it for free?

Edit 2: went into the RTE player off my Samsung TV menu and it's letting me watch ep1 for free. TV360 box is still dropping me into an Amazon Prime menu when I ask to view ep1.

Post edited by coylemj on

BBC Three HD & SD were added to Sky Ireland earlier today, it relaunched in the UK on 1st February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭FinnC

Edit

nevermind have it fixed and couldn’t delete the post for some reason.

Post edited by FinnC on

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Anybody notice there is little or no ability to replay progs on VM 1,2 and 3 since this morning.For instance it seems to have started at seven when Ireland. AM starts yet it's back for This Morning then it's gone again for everything else,on all channels except the odd program.Hop it will be back.

Just saw an advert for the England game this Saturday on Channel 4 HD and it said not available in The Republic of Ireland. I then checked EPG on Virgin 360. No indication game will be blocked. If it is blocked I'm guessing it will be the first time ever any programme on Channel 4 got blocked on cable since the channel started in 1982 (think Htv got removed then on Cablelink for it).

Yeah,it seems to be down for broadcasting alright, they did say they would be showing every game live.

But an awful lot of progs which would normally be available for replay later have the symbol greyed out with English and American progs available and their own progs not available such as Ireland AM this morning.Seems strange why they would grey out their own progs and a lot of others as well.

Ireland AM is the only show that is missing the replay function for me from all the Virgin channels.

Seems strange to stop that one, although there are alot of others as well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Sky EPG says programme not available. The Channel 4 on Sky ROI is an encrypted feed so they can block. Of course on Sky you can always tune in the FTA version using Other Channels.

Virgin Media Two has the game. If because off this Virgin could allow Channel 4 to go out clear then I think they should do this. Maybe Uefa will insist on block.

Either way I don't think it's a great advertisement for cable. Itv 4, Channel 4 - what next will get blocked.

Content unavailable in the ROI now added to description in EPG for England game Saturday.

Let's hope this is a once off for Channel 4 and not a taste off things to come.

• Advertisement

Channel 4 now blocked on Virgin Media Ireland due to England game. A historic and sad day for cable viewers.

Advertisement