Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus footage and reporting a driver

Options
  • 04-03-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody got CCTV footage from Dublin Bus?

I had a very close pass yesterday on the N11 just after Foxrock church. (The bike lane isn’t great there and I’ve reported it to the council. )

Anyway dublin bus have said they’ll send on the footage under GPDR by the 2nd of April.

I plan on following this up with a view of securing a prosecution. Should I report it in a garda station or to traffic watch. Should I do it now or wait till I get the footage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Did the bus driver actually intentionally try to run you over? You say the cycle lane is not the best, yet you still take your life in your own hands sharing that road with busses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You say the cycle lane is not the best, yet you still take your life in your own hands sharing that road with busses?

Not the point. Not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d make the complaint now and follow up with the footage if and when it’s received.

I wouldn’t expect a favourable outcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Did the bus driver actually intentionally try to run you over? You say the cycle lane is not the best, yet you still take your life in your own hands sharing that road with busses?

What is the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yes I've gotten footage, it's a slow process but the guy who runs it is sound - they're just completely overrun which is indicative of how many requests they get and hence the standard of driving...

You should get clips from a few different cameras depending on the age of the bus.

• Advertisement

Wasn't trying to be critical or funny pal. I just see cyclists everyday and can't help but to wonder why they take the risk as the roads are clearly not designed for it. There maybe no alternative for yourself but I still say that its a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes I believe he did intentionally pass within a illegal safe distance .
    I don’t believe victim blaming is allowed. Have you ever been on a bike?

Cool attitude all round.
    From the description the bus driver chose to endanger the OP. The presence of a cycle lane doesn't give the driver the right to do this and indeed the reason cycle lanes aren't mandatory in Ireland is because the government accept that in certain cases their condition makes things more dangerous than cycling on the road.
    But yeah, bloody cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes I've gotten footage, it's a slow process but the guy who runs it is sound - they're just completely overrun which is indicative of how many requests they get and hence the standard of driving...

You should get clips from a few different cameras depending on the age of the bus.

Ridiculous, there is one guy, wouldn't be the quickest and anyone and everyone is putting in requests.....

The requests can be made by anybody for anything which there are people that do this all the time.

Dublin bus standard of driving is some of the best out there, yes 100% there are bad drivers but that comment stating it's slow because drivers are terrible been the reason is laughable.

MOD VOICE: Attack the post, not the poster

• Advertisement

Super good to hear. And in fairness I mailed last night and he has identified the bus and requested footage from the depot already.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,628 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This has reminded me I never got promised footage of a bus pulling out of in front of me about three years ago. Rather late to chase it up now but you may need to remind them if it doesn't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've submitted 2 requests one the CCTV wasn't working the other I got more than I could of asked for! The guy I dealt with was very prompt replying to email etc. and I couldn't fault him/the process. I complained to the garage and they took it up with the driver too. Probably better go that route as the Gardai don't seem interested in prosecuting these and more chance of getting it recorded on the drivers file in case its a repeat offender rather than one off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    Let’s call a spade a spade. You were being a dick.

Get on a bike and try to use a cycle lane. If you can’t post a helpful comment, just stay quiet

mod note - if you think someone is posting something they shouldn't, report the post. either way, refrain from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stoneybats

Wasn't trying to be critical or funny pal. I just see cyclists everyday and can't help but to wonder why they take the risk as the roads are clearly not designed for it. There maybe no alternative for yourself but I still say that its a big risk.

"We found that cycling to work was associated with a 41% lower risk of dying overall compared to commuting by car or public transport. Cycle commuters had a 52% lower risk of dying from heart disease and a 40% lower risk of dying from cancer. They also had 46% lower risk of developing heart disease and a 45% lower risk of developing cancer at all." - BMJ 2017.

Why take the risk of not cycling to work?

MOD VOICE: Do not respond

stoneybats wrote: »
    "We found that cycling to work was associated with a 41% lower risk of dying overall compared to commuting by car or public transport. Cycle commuters had a 52% lower risk of dying from heart disease and a 40% lower risk of dying from cancer. They also had 46% lower risk of developing heart disease and a 45% lower risk of developing cancer at all." - BMJ 2017.

Why take the risk of not cycling to work?

The OP said the cycle lane he uses was not the best, not saying don't cycle to work, I just wouldn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Let's stay on topic please. OP is asking about reporting the driver, not whether cycling on the road is safe or not.

Thanks

that comment stating it's slow because drivers are terrible been the reason is laughable.

In your opinion and I'll politely disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In your opinion and I'll politely disagree.

Actually no not imo.....

I work there and I stand behind what I said, we actually get some of the best training and it's taken very seriously.

I've had spurious claims over the years and I actually love having the CCTV inside and out to show I was professional and courteous to other road users.

I've actually had people onboard and cyclists themselves comment on how we as a majority drive and give space.

The latest complaint that I had sent in was from a person whom stated they were cycling and I was driving in the cycle lane and tried to kill them.....
    Little more information went like this.... The person wrote in their complaint letter that they were wearing a black hat, a black coat, black trousers oh and a black bag.... Bizarre facts to add to a complaint but anyway, they continue to write that I drove at them in the cycle lane and this was bold......

Now yes I'll admit no issues I was in the cycle lane and I was in motion but the bus is actually quite wide and much longer..... The bus didn't fit in the road space provided unless I was in the cycle lane as otherwise I would be driving into oncoming traffic over a continuous white line, oh did I mention the cycle lane was a broken white line for this exact reason.....

Right now back to reality.....

The real story,

I was driving a bus, I was driving along in a traffic lane which has a small section where there is a broken white line cycle lane which then ends and become a shared bus lane, I was mid way passed a side road when complainant walked his bike out from the side road, he continued to walk out and as he was now right along side the bus he punched the rear side engine door and was shouting, I had obviously slowed as I wasn't sure if he would walk out or not......

So a short time passes and I'm further up the road waiting at a junction when I can only guess whom was the complainant cycles by abusing me and calling me names and flips the bird... He then proceeds to cycle through the red traffic lights in front of crossing vehicles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

This thread prompted me to go looking for my own footage, to give you an idea of what you get it's here https://streamable.com/16nuk, here https://streamable.com/m2v0s and here https://streamable.com/zoyqq . I laughed at the last one with the red bike warning :pac: . It wasn't funny at the time as I wasn't as confident a cyclist and was quite quite dangerous as the driver used the bus to and horn to push me out of the way. More infuriating he pulled in at the next stop!

Anyway I've 14000km done commuting from Kildare to Dublin and back daily in the past 3 years. A lot of that shares and crosses several DB bus routes and of 1000's of passes etc with DB I've had 3 incidents that standout the worst above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Can't help the OP but just to back up some of what punisher5112 (unfitting name for a Dublin bus driver) wrote above. I've been cycling all over Dublin for over 20 years and I find Dublin bus drivers very good on the whole and improving all the time. In those years I've only had two incidents I would call dangerous and they were many years ago. The past 4 years my commute has seen me cycle the length of the quays morning and evening and the drivers have quite honestly been great. No connection with Dublin bus but they do get an unfair wrap at times and as professionals are streets ahead of any other company or mode of transport.

Can't help the OP but just to back up some of what punisher5112 (unfitting name for a Dublin bus driver) wrote above. I've been cycling all over Dublin for over 20 years and I find Dublin bus drivers very good on the whole and improving all the time. In those years I've only had two incidents I would call dangerous and they were many years ago. The past 4 years my commute has seen me cycle the length of the quays morning and evening and the drivers have quite honestly been great. No connection with Dublin bus but they do get an unfair wrap at times and as professionals are streets ahead of any other company or mode of transport.

Absolutely, I’ve clocked up several thousand probably 50+ over the past few years and this is the first time I felt the urge to make a complaint, and I pass hundred of busses daily who are courteous and careful. But there will always be a bad egg and this driver must be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I've previously reported a bus driver to the Gardai for dangerous driving. The Gardai got the CCTV no problem and were able to corroborate my story.

They asked me what I wanted to do - prosecute or have a warning issued. I went with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... we actually get some of the best training and it's taken very seriously.....
    Does any part of the training include informing drivers that cyclists have no legal requirement to use cycle tracks? the only time I get any hassle from DB drivers is when I'm legally cycling along a bus lane with a segregated off road cycle track - generally a close pass or driving close behind while leaning on the horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Does any part of the training include informing drivers that cyclists have no legal requirement to use cycle tracks? the only time I get any hassle from DB drivers is when I'm legally cycling along a bus lane with a segregated off road cycle track - generally a close pass or driving close behind while leaning on the horn.

That's one of my pet hates as a driver. Getting stuck behind a cyclist and being unable to safely get past. Passing closely and misusing the horn is completely unacceptable (and as far as I'm concerned, not an option), but do you not think it's a bit inconsiderate - one cyclist dictating the pace of up to 70 people because he doesn't want to use the cycle lane? I know cycle lanes are mostly very poor, but it seems unfair to punish public transport users. Like cyclists, they also tend to get the rough end of the stick where infrastructure is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... but do you not think it's a bit inconsiderate - one cyclist dictating the pace of up to 70 people because he doesn't want to use the cycle lane?...
    No - for a few reasons:

1. DB drivers do this when the other lanes are free but rather than utilise them, they have a go at the cyclist instead.
    2. It's perfectly legal and therefore they have to take the rough with the smooth.
    3. DB drivers do it even when they have to pull in at the next stop cycling is often faster than the bus.
    4. The cyclist is not holding up the 70 people - it's all those drivers clogging up the roads in private (usually single occupied) cars which are holding up bus users. A bicycle is 100% occupied when on the road.
    5. Why not ban taxis from bus lanes to speed up buses instead?

PS - just in case you think I don't know what it's like, I used to be a bus driver.

That's one of my pet hates as a driver. Getting stuck behind a cyclist and being unable to safely get past. Passing closely and misusing the horn is completely unacceptable (and as far as I'm concerned, not an option), but do you not think it's a bit inconsiderate - one cyclist dictating the pace of up to 70 people because he doesn't want to use the cycle lane? I know cycle lanes are mostly very poor, but it seems unfair to punish public transport users. Like cyclists, they also tend to get the rough end of the stick where infrastructure is concerned.

They bus will stop at a bus stop, and hold the cyclist up. Cars in the bus lane trying to cut in and blocking yellow boxes is a much bigger reason for delays.

In my case the N11 has two other lanes fir busses to use. Also sped limit for the bus lane is 60 but 80 in the other lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

No - for a few reasons:

1. DB drivers do this when the other lanes are free but rather than utilise them, they have a go at the cyclist instead.
    2. It's perfectly legal and therefore they have to take the rough with the smooth.
    3. DB drivers do it even when they have to pull in at the next stop cycling is often faster than the bus.
    4. The cyclist is not holding up the 70 people - it's all those drivers clogging up the roads in private (usually single occupied) cars which are holding up bus users. A bicycle is 100% occupied when on the road.
    5. Why not ban taxis from bus lanes to speed up buses instead?

On the rare occasion that the other lane is free and I'm 100% sure I'll be well clear of the cyclist by the time I reach the next bus stop, I always completely leave the bus lane to complete the overtake. More often than not though, I (and all my passengers) have no choice but to sit patiently behind the bike. I've often had passengers miss connecting buses as a direct result of getting stuck behind cyclists in the bus lane. I'd love to blame private cars for this (because they are the real enemy, as far as I'm concerned), but I can't help feeling that cyclists should have some manners and give way to a 100% occupied bus.
    ted1 wrote:
    They bus will stop at a bus stop, and hold the cyclist up. Cars in the bus lane trying to cut in and blocking yellow boxes is a much bigger reason for delays.

In my case the N11 has two other lanes fir busses to use. Also sped limit for the bus lane is 60 but 80 in the other lanes

What's worse though? A bus with 70 passengers holding one cyclist up, or one cyclist holding a bus with 70 passengers up? I'd be inclined to prioritise the 70 people, tbh. Especially on stretches where the cyclist has another option - albeit an imperfect one - in the form of a cycle path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

On the rare occasion that the other lane is free and I'm 100% sure I'll be well clear of the cyclist by the time I reach the next bus stop, I always completely leave the bus lane to complete the overtake. More often than not though, I (and all my passengers) have no choice but to sit patiently behind the bike. I've often had passengers miss connecting buses as a direct result of getting stuck behind cyclists in the bus lane. I'd love to blame private cars for this (because they are the real enemy, as far as I'm concerned), but I can't help feeling that cyclists should have some manners and give way to a 100% occupied bus.

What's worse though? A bus with 70 passengers holding one cyclist up, or one cyclist holding a bus with 70 passengers up? I'd be inclined to prioritise the 70 people, tbh. Especially on stretches where the cyclist has another option - albeit an imperfect one - in the form of a cycle path.

So much nonsense here.

However it's a good insight into why some bus drivers are absolute assholes around people on bikes.

Advertisement