Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus footage and reporting a driver

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If companies (not just bus companies) want to reassure people who make legitimate claims about their employees, it would help for complainants to be informed of the outcome of their complaints in detail, including what action, if any, has been taken in respect of employees subject to complaints.

In any case, I would have thought that any disciplinary action taken on foot of a complaint made by someone would be personal data related to that person (the complainant) and therefore details of the disciplinary action, if any, should be made available under GDPR to the complainant.

Latest complaint I have is for taking a photo in a public place but as I had a uniform on they decided to put in a complaint, there were no people in the photo and this is actually been taking seriously and I will be brought in for a meeting.....

I've had bogus complaints such as kidnapping, holding people against their will, not letting them off at their stop, not answering or smiling etc etc.....

Bizarre complaints and bogus complaints coming in all the time to the complaint department.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

well I finally got the footage.

Dublin Bus were in contact through out apologising fo the delay because of COVID19 so the process usually takes much shorter.

They posted me out an encrypted USB drive with several angles of the bus
    Front, rear, flank and drivers.

the video below shows that he passed far to close to me.

https://youtu.be/-uJpA2nGRYo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

ted1 wrote: »

Dublin Bus were in contact through out apologising fo the delay because of COVID19 so the process usually takes much shorter.

I'm not surprised it was an 84X. Some of the drivers on that route are terrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tnegun wrote: »
    The problem with letting traffic pass is that you'll never be let back out to primary position, there are a couple spots on my commute where I take primary and could move left but experience has thought me its not worth it :( Just on the private operators being better I think its just that there are less of them so poor behavior isn't noticed anyway branding all DB drivers is the same same giving out about cyclists. End of the day we're all human and there are w@nkers in every walk of life.
    My experience is the opposite, private operators often drive buses like they are in a rally car. I once had a private driver skim me on the N11. I caught him at the lights, all calm and he apologised, then the guy standing beside him on the bus piped up. He was a cyclist himself and he was an instructor and the overtake was fine. The bus skimmed me as my wheel rode the edge of the kerb (I was getting ready to turn right but swung in when I thought he was going to hit me). Like DB, some are good, some are bad, the ones with less experience in city traffic seem worse.
    I'm not surprised it was an 84X. Some of the drivers on that route are terrible.
    100%, is the 84X a special run that drivers want and you only get to keep it if you speed? The 145 drivers, typically under no pressure, always good overtakes, never in a rush, never cut me up, often get a wave or a nod but the 84X, it is like they have a death wish, it is terrifying whenever one gets near. They treat other buses just as bad, tailgating, swinging out last second to make an overtake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    My experience is the opposite, private operators often drive buses like they are in a rally car. I once had a private driver skim me on the N11. I caught him at the lights, all calm and he apologised, then the guy standing beside him on the bus piped up. He was a cyclist himself and he was an instructor and the overtake was fine. The bus skimmed me as my wheel rode the edge of the kerb (I was getting ready to turn right but swung in when I thought he was going to hit me). Like DB, some are good, some are bad, the ones with less experience in city traffic seem worse.
    It would be very interesting to understand what kind of incentives or penalties operate for drivers in private businesses. It's probably not so relevant in the current circumstances of low traffic and low passenger numbers, but in 'normal' times, do the drivers get any kind penalty or bonus for sticking to a schedule, regardless of the traffic conditions or passenger numbers.

If so, they are really encouraging sh1tty driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Passing that closely by an unprotected human being whilst accelerating his 10+ tonne vehicle past 60kph. Simply not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

In your opinion he passed too close, looks fine to me

s8n wrote: »
    What video are you looking at, there is 30cm between the bike and the bus at most, a slight deviation by either vehicle could have led to a fatality. He swerved in on the cyclist before the overtake was complete

• Registered Users Posts: 32,644 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What video are you looking at, there is 30cm between the bike and the bus at most, a slight deviation by either vehicle could have led to a fatality. He swerved in on the cyclist before the overtake was complete
    That is pretty scary! You were right to follow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

s8n wrote: »

If that looks like a safe way to pass an unprotected road user with a heavy vehicle to you then you are part of the safety problems on our roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

100%, is the 84X a special run that drivers want and you only get to keep it if you speed? The 145 drivers, typically under no pressure, always good overtakes, never in a rush, never cut me up, often get a wave or a nod but the 84X, it is like they have a death wish, it is terrifying whenever one gets near. They treat other buses just as bad, tailgating, swinging out last second to make an overtake etc.

I drive for a private operator, but I'm familiar with the 84X as a passenger. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I think it mostly shares the same drivers as the 145. It's a limited-stop service, which means that there are more opportunities (and more time) to safely overtake cyclists and other buses, so I don't understand why I've witnessed so much bad driving on that route in particular.
    s8n wrote:

I hope you don't drive large vehicles. Or any vehicle, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Jasus
    That was tight.

Fair play to DB for getting the footage to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭kirving

It would be very interesting to understand what kind of incentives or penalties operate for drivers in private businesses.

If so, they are really encouraging sh1tty driving.

I can't imagine that any reputable company could stand by that kind of incentive scheme.

Even if they couldn't care less about safety, surely it would imply some liability on the company should a driver end up killing someone, and an investigation noted pressure to keep deadlines as a contributory factor? Obviously the driver is responsible at the end of the day, but I don't that necessarily absolves their employer.

That said, hauliers unsurprisingly got similar bad press a few years ago for overworked drivers.

OP, it was very close and you're right to persue it. Does the video include any other angle which might explain why the driver was so close? Not to excuse it, just interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can't imagine that any reputable company could stand by that kind of incentive scheme.

Even if they couldn't care less about safety, surely it would imply some liability on the company should a driver end up killing someone, and an investigation noted pressure to keep deadlines as a contributory factor? Obviously the driver is responsible at the end of the day, but I don't that necessarily absolves their employer.

That said, hauliers unsurprisingly got similar bad press a few years ago for overworked drivers.

OP, it was very close and you're right to persue it. Does the video include any other angle which might explain why the driver was so close? Not to excuse it, just interested.

There’s a front view which shows a clear road. A side view which doesn’t show much other then him pulling in and a rear which doesn’t show much because of the angle it’s at.

The footage also has him doing 65 in a 60 zone

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

To be honest those wide angle lenses make everything look tight. But it looks kinda close at the rear. First half lenght of the bus looks fine to me. But it looks like hes pulling back too soon? Any chance of the other angles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

My experience is the opposite, private operators often drive buses like they are in a rally car......... Like DB, some are good, some are bad, the ones with less experience in city traffic seem worse.
    I probably didn't say it very well but I meant mean the same and that there are so many private operators they don't all get branded as one like DB. I've had my bad experiences with them too which has reminded me my AirPort Hopper complaint was never followed up by AGS.

What I think happens is some drivers completely misjudge the speed of a bike and pull in as if they passed a stationary object no excuse but explains the root cause.

To be honest those wide angle lenses make everything look tight. But it looks kinda close at the rear. First half lenght of the bus looks fine to me. But it looks like hes pulling back too soon? Any chance of the other angles?
    tnegun wrote: »
    What I think happens is some drivers completely misjudge the speed of a bike and pull in as if they passed a stationary object no excuse but explains the root cause.

True but you can see the lane writing, the driver is about 1.5 m from the kerb at the furthest out in the overtake. Within 0.6 m of the kerb before completing the overtake (gives the cyclist less than 20cm to move). The driver has moved over into the lane beside, this means it was clear for an overtake, so why not just do it fully. If I was the cyclist, you have to be thinking, he is going to close that gap before he completes the overtake, its not far off attempted manslaughter. That bus is tipping 60kmph when this is done. I have the 145 overtake me at several points on my commute, everytime they are able to either wait a few seconds for a safeplace to overtake or move over completely into the adjoining driving lane. How is this not possible for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I am about to receive a USB stick with some footage, but Dublin Bus have asked for a copy of my ID. Is this standard practice, and has anybody refused to comply with it? It's not as if they can match my passport photo to the back of my photo in their blurry footage.

I've heard of it before, to make sure the person they are not blurring out is actually you. They have never actually managed to find the footage when I have made requests and simply did not communicate this till I followed up so I don't know if I would have been asked.

With gdpr they must follow strict rules and what's to say I requested it for the craic and get your face on.it let's say....

Could be done more so if a passenger onboard let's say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buffalo wrote: »
    I am about to receive a USB stick with some footage, but Dublin Bus have asked for a copy of my ID. Is this standard practice, and has anybody refused to comply with it? It's not as if they can match my passport photo to the back of my photo in their blurry footage.

I've had this with other data protection requests, even prior to GDPR. It is within their rights to confirm that you are the person that you claim to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Same here I had to supply ID when i requested it

I did too and I'm an employee....

It's nothing to be annoyed about....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Duckjob wrote: »
    If that looks like a safe way to pass an unprotected road user with a heavy vehicle to you then you are part of the safety problems on our roads.

2661_a15b.gif

That's kinda the problem though isn't it. Lots of people thing think that's an acceptable pass. - "I mean, it's not like I actually hit you is it?"

Advertisement