Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is This

• 04-03-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Any ideas what sort of animal this might be. it was spotted in the back garden yesterday by the wife, who thought it was a rat. But it looks to big.
    Have not seen it since. garden backs out onto a forest.

Any Ideas?

sorry for the poor quality picture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Hard to see, could be a pine marten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I wouldn't think a rat, looks far too big, and the head profile looks more cat like. Squared rather than pointy like a rat would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not easy to say given the quality of the photo, but my first thoughts were a cat too given the head shape. A marten would be more pointed, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

another view, I think it maybe a very large rat.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

You could try and capture it. But you may need something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

where are you living? Ireland?
    its not a rat as it has the entire wrong body shape. I might have said racoon from the first picture - did it have a stripey tail ? But I don’t think we have them wild in Ireland unless it escaped from a private owner - they are/were for sale in some exotic petshops. I would also say pine martin if it wasnt for the tail ( bit maybe thats the photo) which is a rare treat as they are very shy and coming back from almost being extinct in the wild.
    Exciting! Try and get another photo!!! Don’t kill it or put down poison :( It is definately NOt a rat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It is definately not a rat so please don’t put down poison. I’d say pine martin which would tie in with the forest behind you which is exciting as they were almost going extinct in the wild. Rare find!!!

There is a wildlife thread where you can post a picture and people might know what it is - I think it is for birds but those bird people know their wildlife!!

looking at pictures of a Pine martin it looks to have more white under the neck. maybe a grey squirrel as have seen them in the trees but not for a while. No poison as I have a dog and would not take a chance . I know you can buy traps like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheese-Live-Catch-Indoors-Outdoors-Gardens/dp/B000QVSCH6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=91762AFUOP6P&keywords=rat+traps&qid=1583407119&sprefix=rat+traps%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That’s a grey squirrel.
    They’re proper little fcukers and a threat to the native red.brought over to Ireland from America as a wedding present no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Also that camera should be shot into space as it’s not worth a sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

First picture certainly looks very feline but the second one has a very rat like posture. How big are the pots to give us an idea of scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It's definitely not a pine Martin, I see loads around here, wrong shape. It looks like a very large rat, definitely a rodent, where are you based? Are you near a river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

a well fed rat me thinks

No sightings since last Tue, dont live near a river but backgarden overlooks a forest and has a few ditches that have water in them with all the rain. Have one of them humane trap/cage ordered, Just Hope its big enough :eek:

Rat... dont know it its D Rat ... but one less anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Mystery solved. As pest control threads are not permitted here, its time to close this off now.

CB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement