Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kit for spraying two pack paint

Options
  • 04-03-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

Thinking its time I kitted up for this and gave it a crack.
    50 quid budget for a gravity fed gun is the budget. What else do I need other than the obvious sand papers, fillers paint and thinners?
    Will I need to run a regulator inline from my compressor?

First project is paint my engine once it's blasted. Can I use rattle can primer and top coat colour after that?
    I don't intend using a specific engine paint as I've seen engine painted with normal 2pk and they've stood the test of time. Good or bad idea and why?

Be grateful to hear from anyone who has knowledge on this. Had decent results in the past painting smaller panels with acrylic paints but maybe it's time to try 2pk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You'd also want to get a proper respirator for spraying 2k, nasty stuff. Acetone and acrylic have nothing on Isocyanate toxicity
    Budget for airfed and a few disposable suits as well, it gets through the skin nicely.
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You'd also want to get a proper respirator for spraying 2k, nasty stuff. Acetone and acrylic have nothing on Isocyanate toxicity
    Budget for airfed and a few disposable suits as well, it gets through the skin nicely.
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm

I never knew it was so toxic, budget will have to go up so. When spraying aerosol I just use an ordinary mask and keep the garage up and over and side door open to create a draft but this sh1t seems to be a whole other ballgame.

Can you advise on regators and if an inline moisture removing doo hickey is required?
    Are you suggesting not using a gravity fed gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I spec the gear for our spray shop here ( 3 to 4 people) and because we use 2-pack, they must use an air-fed respirator.

The problem is, you can't breathe the air from a compressor, (and ours have full dryers on the lines already) so we do have a specific dessicant dryer on the line to remove moisture, plus the usual filters for other contaminants.

Other than that, booted & suited from top to toe: gloves, tyvek suit, boots.

Cheap it ain't.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont bother with all the equipment..i have it all but cant be arsed using it....rattle cans are good these days...get them from Vinny Byrnes or your local factors....Befriend a local carbody shop, let him clearcoat your paint for you...much handier and cheaper in the long run....IMO...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

galwaytt wrote: »
    I spec the gear for our spray shop here ( 3 to 4 people) and because we use 2-pack, they must use an air-fed respirator.

The problem is, you can't breathe the air from a compressor, (and ours have full dryers on the lines already) so we do have a specific dessicant dryer on the line to remove moisture, plus the usual filters for other contaminants.

Other than that, booted & suited from top to toe: gloves, tyvek suit, boots.

Cheap it ain't.
    I have a tyvek suit but will buy a decent mask. I think for my needs spraying outdoors will have to suffice for now. Just the engine to begin with so a small enough job to start. Cheers for the advice! :)
    Dont bother with all the equipment..i have it all but cant be arsed using it....rattle cans are good these days...get them from Vinny Byrnes or your local factors....Befriend a local carbody shop, let him clearcoat your paint for you...much handier and cheaper in the long run....IMO...;)
    What equipment ya have and are you selling? ;)
    Have to agree that aerosol results with care and prep can be good, being spraying parts years like that. Myself I don't think they are comparable with good 2k paint though. The quality and longevity of finish is better, but yeah a ballache in terms of cost and hassle.
    I think it's a worthwhile effort for me as I'm always at something that needs refinishing and home powder coating is being eyeblled also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement