Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a qualified Metal Fabricator Become a BER Assessor

Options
  • 04-03-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Just wondering does metal fabrication count as a qualifying trade to become a BER Assessor, Can't find any clarification on the SEAI website

Below is what is stated regarding prerequisites for the cert

"Domestic Assessors require a NFQ Level 6 Advanced Certificate/Higher Certificate in construction studies (or similar) or a recognized equivalent. Equivalence maybe defined as a combination of an appropriate construction-related qualification and significant relevant experience."

I Can't see whether they count the trade of Metal Fabrication as a construction related qualification.
    Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have to ask yourself, to what extent does a metal fabrication qualification inform me about house construction, insulation, heating systems, u-values and other aspects of assessing a building energy rating in domestic dwellings. If you feel that there is a definite overlap then sure, throw in an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neilab

looksee wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself, to what extent does a metal fabrication qualification inform me about house construction, insulation, heating systems, u-values and other aspects of assessing a building energy rating in domestic dwellings. If you feel that there is a definite overlap then sure, throw in an application.

Thanks for the reply,
    In Metal fab, The modules covering Structural steel do touch on construction regarding domestic & commercial, With regard to the other areas of assessment you’ve listed, on site installations Metal fabricators come in contact with insulation, heating systems etc.

Apart from the above, I’d hope that the BER assessor training courses being offered (by private companies accredited by SEAI) at in and around €1400 give you the information & guidance required to competently carry out the assessments?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neilab wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,
    In Metal fab, The modules covering Structural steel do touch on construction regarding domestic & commercial, With regard to the other areas of assessment you’ve listed, on site installations Metal fabricators come in contact with insulation, heating systems etc.

Apart from the above, I’d hope that the BER assessor training courses being offered (by private companies accredited by SEAI) at in and around €1400 give you the information & guidance required to competently carry out the assessments?

those training companies will take money off anyone, so dont depend on them being the arbiters of whether you are suited or not.

Ultimately SEAI should make that call... but again i wouldn't expect a straight answer from them.

another piece of advice... you cannot simply be "competent" at carrying out surveys and assessments... you must become "expert" at it. SEAI have an auditing system where a mistake in one of the 200 or so data entries can cost you 3 penalty points.... and on 12 penalty points you will be suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Neilab wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering does metal fabrication count as a qualifying trade to become a BER Assessor, Can't find any clarification on the SEAI website

Below is what is stated regarding prerequisites for the cert

"Domestic Assessors require a NFQ Level 6 Advanced Certificate/Higher Certificate in construction studies (or similar) or a recognized equivalent. Equivalence maybe defined as a combination of an appropriate construction-related qualification and significant relevant experience."

I Can't see whether they count the trade of Metal Fabrication as a construction related qualification.
    Thanks in advance
    I completed this course before Xmas. Most on the course were construction professionals but there was one carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Read post 4, twice
    Have you priced up the cost of becoming an assessor as well as the annual cost of being registered with the SEAI and then figure out how itv will pay for itself.
    With your skills, I would be looking at steel work in the context of NZEB and become skilled in AUTO cad or similar
    Lots of folk can design, few can fabricate and see how it will all work out on site.
    PS Read post 4 again

Good luck!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement