Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie a gateway to the far right?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I've noticed recently on boards the amount of traction the far right has on here. Every week we're guaranteed to have a thread on migration, foreigners committing crime over here, the traveling community and a plethora of other similar topics.

Just recently a thread about known far right demagogue, Tommy Robinson has attracted plenty of sympathizers and supporters for a revolting man. I ask in summary, is boards a far right platform?

I would say there is a significant difference between this:
    "Is boards.ie a gateway to the far right?"
    and this:
    "Is Boards a far right platform?"

So we are already off to a bad start.

If it is a "gateway" then where does this gateway lead?
    Do people come on here to be recruited to the far right and then go elsewhere to do the real stuff?

When I am lurking here it's usually checking out sports, videogames or other entertainment threads.

Recently just checking in for coronavirus news.

So it seems like large segments of the site, while not entirely apolitical, are not really engaged in this "Right vs Left" squabbling that seems to be going on.

Migration, as an example, is an interesting one.

There are 2 extremes which would basically be "open the borders to everyone" and "close the borders entirely".

Most sensible people, I'd imagine, would land between those 2 extreme viewpoints. Seeing the usefulness of borders while also understanding the need to attract new people to the country while also believing that immigration ought to be regulated to some extent.

Clearly there is a lot of scope for discussion there and people do tend to come to places like this to have discussions, no?

The way you present it is that there is only one correct view to have on migration, crime, travelers, tommy robinson etc and the number of thread popping up is proof that people do not yet have the correct thinking drummed into them.

I think for Boards to be considered far right it would have to become an echo chamber where posters like yourself would be banned for even questioning the status-quo. Since that isn't happening I don't think you could say that it's a far -right site.

I'd be more inclined to say it's just a place where people are free to debate and argue. That's got to be a good thing.

I'm more of the opinion that "let them fight" is a better approach than moaning that one side is being allowed to make points.

Any chance you could post a few links to the most extreme far-right threads and/or posts on the site. Just to see a few examples of what you are getting at.

The Tommy Robinson thread has plenty of people giving their opinions of him so it's not like support of him is going unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There is only one correct view on Tommy Robinson though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Nice try. I'm not engaging.

Erm you just did!.

Fail again!.

Here's a tip.

If you are going to quote a very famous quote trying to undermine someone else, perhaps try and find out who originally came out with the quote?.
    About 10 seconds on Google would suffice.

People who misquote famous quotes on boards.ie are simpletons- George Washington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    It's the moderation of that site is usually lefties and a few far left.

The previous community manager was warning of the dangers of right-wing opinions. The current community manager wants to compel the use of preferred pronouns. These are the people who are setting standards for the site, so it's no surprise that the moderation leans to the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

All the super, non-alt-right people on here - may I call ye the alt-righteous, please :) - who up to a few months ago were spluttering into their keyboards in their frenzy to defend the chemical sterilisation of children from 9 or 10 years old and up, followed by their surgical brutalisation from, oh about 16 years old I suppose, all in the name of the blessed creed of "trans rights" may someday soon have to rereg and change their names to shed their posting history, because I got all their present day avatars noted. Oh yep, I sure do, every woke ally among ye.

And when the avalanche of court cases commence and the true horror of your ultra "liberal" moral relativism is revealed in all its macabre ugliness you will have nowhere left to look but your shoes.

Oh but yeah, 'tis the gang loads of mad wee facists on here doing all the real time damage in the world.
    Uh huh. Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

alastair wrote: »

That may be so but for the most part people will want to be given the opportunity to make up their own minds.

Not be relentlessly berated into agreement by some random person online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I wouldn't say it's a gateway to the alt-right, I can't imagine too many of the people on here who spout hate about certain minority groups or preach the virtues of certain alt-right figures learned about them from this site, went off to research their work and came back a more well-versed alt righter. Chances are they are just people who don't have a platform to express their feelings and Boards is probably their best option. If you were in work and you brought about certain topics as much as some people around here do (even when they have nothing to do with the discussion at hand) your co-workers would think you're a loon and you'd probably be unemployed reasonably quickly. Social media doesn't really work because you don't have the same anonymity factor. Reddit doesn't really work either because it's more left leaning and your posts will just be downvoted. Here they can get a bit of traction, backed up by other like-minded individuals, all I'd say is I'm glad Boards isn't a representation of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the real problem as i see it is not right, left or whatever. its that political opinions have taken the place of religious beliefs.

someone who disagrees with you on a point of political or social philosophy may, in youre opinion, be wrong....but it doesn't make them wicked. It doesn't make them a pariah or someone in need of re-education, it just makes them someone with a different opinion.

political opinions are not virtues.

the real problem as i see it is not right, left or whatever. its that political opinions have taken the place of religious beliefs.

someone who disagrees with you on a point of political or social philosophy may, in youre opinion, be wrong....but it doesn't make them wicked. It doesn't make them a pariah or someone in need of re-education, it just makes them someone with a different opinion.

political opinions are not virtues.

Well said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Leo Kearse the right wing comedian funniest man in the World at the minute and all the while taking the piss out of the left!. I'm having him do comedy at an event in Ireland thisyear.

Though I'd warn some leftie loola's to avoid, your little politically correct hearts could break!. ;)

If you are an actual adult and have a pair watch the funniest comedian working right now.
    Hey see what I did there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I ask in summary, is boards a far right platform?

Nein!

Leo Kearse the right wing comedian funniest man in the World at the minute and all the while taking the piss out of the left!. I'm having him do comedy at an event in Ireland thisyear.

Though I'd warn some leftie loola's to avoid, your little politically correct hearts could break!. ;)

If you are an actual adult and have a pair watch the funniest comedian working right now.

Has this all been one long, excruciating pitch to draw a crowd for a show you're promoting?

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    That may be so but for the most part people will want to be given the opportunity to make up their own minds.

Not be relentlessly berated into agreement by some random person online.

YMMV

I wouldn't say it's a gateway to the alt-right, I can't imagine too many of the people on here who spout hate about certain minority groups or preach the virtues of certain alt-right figures learned about them from this site, went off to research their work and came back a more well-versed alt righter. Chances are they are just people who don't have a platform to express their feelings and Boards is probably their best option. If you were in work and you brought about certain topics as much as some people around here do (even when they have nothing to do with the discussion at hand) your co-workers would think you're a loon and you'd probably be unemployed reasonably quickly. Social media doesn't really work because you don't have the same anonymity factor. Reddit doesn't really work either because it's more left leaning and your posts will just be downvoted. Here they can get a bit of traction, backed up by other like-minded individuals, all I'd say is I'm glad Boards isn't a representation of the country.

Mainstream Irish platforms of choice for the alt-****e are Boards and the comments threads in Journal.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

someone who disagrees with you on a point of political or social philosophy may, in youre opinion, be wrong....but it doesn't make them wicked.

EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE

If this is his good stuff, my despair for decent reactionary comedy remains intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

Wow you like a stand up comedian who says controversial stuff. What a badass you are. That's the true measure of how much of a man you are. I wish I had a 'pair'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I've noticed recently on boards the amount of traction the far right has on here. Every week we're guaranteed to have a thread on migration, foreigners committing crime over here, the traveling community and a plethora of other similar topics.

Just recently a thread about known far right demagogue, Tommy Robinson has attracted plenty of sympathizers and supporters for a revolting man. I ask in summary, is boards a far right platform?

As others have said it's a platform for conversation, there are topics people like dumping and repeating but there are also many and varied topics.

Would you prefer if it was a echo chamber like Twitter or Reddit ?

What are your thoughts newly registered member ? You use a very big label by talking about far right, do you think it's a platform for the far right and how could that be changed, how could we get the right kind of thinking in place ?

Making Movies 2 maliciouslu accused a person he does not know of beating their 8 year old daughter into making a sex assault allegation and then advised that the child be taken off her parents "into custody". And MM2 reckons other people are trouble. Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Leo Kearse the right wing comedian

So, were the “crowd” paid to laugh or was that “canned laughter” added in later?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

So, were the “crowd” paid to laugh or was that “canned laughter” added in later?
    still funnier than mrs browns boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

It all depends what you mean by "far right". Can you give some examples?

You know he cannot give examples that is why stupid terms like far right are used it is a smear a feeling.

Gynoid wrote: »
    All the super, non-alt-right people on here - may I call ye the alt-righteous, please :) - who up to a few months ago were spluttering into their keyboards in their frenzy to defend the chemical sterilisation of children from 9 or 10 years old and up, followed by their surgical brutalisation from, oh about 16 years old I suppose, all in the name of the blessed creed of "trans rights" may someday soon have to rereg and change their names to shed their posting history, because I got all their present day avatars noted. Oh yep, I sure do, every woke ally among ye.

And when the avalanche of court cases commence and the true horror of your ultra "liberal" moral relativism is revealed in all its macabre ugliness you will have nowhere left to look but your shoes.

Oh but yeah, 'tis the gang loads of mad wee facists on here doing all the real time damage in the world.
    Uh huh. Sure.

Nurse! Nurse! Graham Linehane has been on his phone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

Gynoid wrote: »
    Making Movies 2 maliciouslu accused a person he does not know of beating their 8 year old daughter into making a sex assault allegation and then advised that the child be taken off her parents "into custody". And MM2 reckons other people are trouble. Yup.

The person I do not know is a renowned far right racist who has previously said a woman was to ugly to be raped by Syrian refugees and called taxi drivers pakis. Are you really trying to defend him?

Nurse! Nurse! Graham Linehane has been on his phone again!

And he's having a full on breakdown!

still funnier than mrs browns boys

The appropriate bar for ‘right-wing comedy’. Goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That he is a bellend?

The appropriate bar for ‘right-wing comedy’. Goals.

do you enjoy the woke comedy?

do you enjoy the woke comedy?

I believe they just call it "comedy."

• Advertisement

That he is a bellend?

Knuckledragger catnip works either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement