Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best broadband only option in Cork City

• 04-03-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

SIRO has finally launched on my road in Cork City in the past few weeks.

I'm signed up to Virgin 500mb for another few months but I'm hoping to go broadband only with SIRO via VF or SKY

Current options:

Virgin
    45 for 6 months, 69 after

500mb, shared with up to 16 houses I think. Got only 50mb on my laptop yesterday out of 500mb mx!

Sky
    35 for 12 months, 95 after
    +150 once off (seems crazy high!)

1GB speed max. Not sure what min over wifi is or if you share this with other houses.

Vodafone
    55 for 6 months, 50 for next 6 months, 55 after

1000mb speed. Lad called the other day and said I'd get 150mb guaranteed and not shared with other houses

To me, Vodafone seems the best offer, with no upfront installation fee and prices not up massively after 6/12 months

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Did you run the speedtest over wifi or ethernet? Is your laptop capable of speeds over 500mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

SIRO is usually the best option if it's available to you. Any service that offers fibre to the home is the "best" option, price permitting.

I've read here that some people are having issues in Cork with it but mine has been solid. I run dedicated servers without a hitch and when wired in get ~950Mbps down and 200Mbps up at all times of the day.

As Slipping Jimmy mentioned, you won't get those speeds on Wi-Fi. 99% of the time either your laptop or the modem (Vodafone Gigabox) just isn't up to the task of sending or receiving 950 Mbps of data. Only the latest and greatest (and expensive) equipment can hit those speeds wirelessly. If you want the full speed you'll have to wire in most of the time.

Advertisement