Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Privacy film for windows

• 04-03-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone used a product like this? So many options out there and not sure what to go with. Ideally looking for something that stops people seeing in but also allows you to see out and lets light in without the window being dark. Not keen on the type that is almost like a mirror when looking from the outside.

Any recommendations on products?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm waiting on an order from https://www.coatek.ie/ to try and reduce some internal glare, I'll let you know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Anything you put on your windows will impact the amount of light getting through.
    I use mirror privacy film. You can chose the amount of light you want to pass through it. But the lighter it is the less privacy you'll get.
    You can offset this a bit by using gold or bronze instead of silver film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone used a product like this? So many options out there and not sure what to go with. Ideally looking for something that stops people seeing in but also allows you to see out and lets light in without the window being dark.
    Sadly the laws of physics are against you.

Barring extreme angles where mirror effects can work, privacy glass works by reducing the amount of light passing through the glass so that the inside is so dim relative to the outdoor ambient light that people can't see in. But the greater the dimming effect the darker it will be inside, obviously.

One consequence of this is that privacy glass is useless at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lumen wrote: »

Barring extreme angles where mirror effects can work, privacy glass works by reducing the amount of light passing through the glass so that the inside is so dim relative to the outdoor ambient light that people can't see in. But the greater the dimming effect the darker it will be inside, obviously.

Thanks, that explans it well.

Wondering has anyone found a happy medium between privacy and light? Problem is with this stuff is once you use it theres no sending it back so I want to try get it right the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Blinds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've bought from these guys a couple of times and very happy with the result
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Frosted-Window-Film-Privacy-Etched-Glass-Sticky-Back-Plastic-Vinyl-Glass-Tint/152417887755?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

50 quid for a roll so if you dont like it you can just take it off, no glue involved.

Just on the last point, you still cant see inside a house with privacy glass at night, even with lights on.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just on the last point, you still cant see inside a house with privacy glass at night, even with lights on.

OK, I guess it depends on what it is. If it's just a tint, it won't work. If it's a mirror coating, it might work if there is external lighting directed back on to the glass. If it's frosting it onbviously will work all the time, but you can't see out.

Or there's a type of film with dots which works the same way as net curtains, i.e. a combination of relative dimness and the person inside being closer than the person outside.

OK, I guess it depends on what it is. If it's just a tint, it won't work. If it's a mirror coating, it might work if there is external lighting directed back on to the glass. If it's frosting it onbviously will work all the time, but you can't see out.

Or there's a type of film with dots which works the same way as net curtains, i.e. a combination of relative dimness and the person inside being closer than the person outside.

Do you mean won't work from the point of view of seeing out or seeing in?

The ones I'm talking about are basically a frosted layer, they let light in but you can't see in, day or night.

The ones I'm talking about are basically a frosted layer, they let light in but you can't see in, day or night.

But that type doesn't meet the stated requirement of being able to see out.

• Advertisement

But that type doesn't meet the stated requirement of being able to see out.

Ah I read that more as being able to get an idea of what's outside.

As you say, physics is against you if you want to see out but not in under all conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How does the privacy glass found in most modern cars work? You can see out of that OK, but not see in.

Alun wrote: »
    How does the privacy glass found in most modern cars work? You can see out of that OK, but not see in.

They make the inside darker by cutting down the light transmission.

If you think about the light path, it has to come in from outside, be reflected and back out again. So a 30% tint will make the inside appear 49% as bright from the outside, but people inside see the outside as 70% bright.

That doesn't work as well at night if interior lights are used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That frosted stuff is good. I lived in a house that had it.
    It's usually put on with a border edge of 25-30mm left blank which helps seeing out but people still can't see in unless their nose is up to the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Presumably the frosted stuff is only really meant for bathroom windows? Its more something Id associate with offices with windows at street level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They make the inside darker by cutting down the light transmission.

If you think about the light path, it has to come in from outside, be reflected and back out again. So a 30% tint will make the inside appear 49% as bright from the outside, but people inside see the outside as 70% bright.

That doesn't work as well at night if interior lights are used.

I was with you until you said "be reflected".

I was barred from science in secondary school.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement