Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollytunnel plastic

Options
  • 04-03-2020 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Where is the best place to get pollytunnel sheeting have a fairly large tunnel 36/16 foot and needs coverings, last one only lasted 5 years and went in the seems after about 3 years taped it since. I spent big money on good plastic and heat spot tape last time and I am going on the cheap this time cheapest plastic I can get no tape waste of money me think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I got mine from Deker horticultural Supplies in Trim.

Give them the size of the Tunnel and they work out how much you need. 3 years before needing to tape it up wasn't long at all. Was it a light grade or is the weather extreme where you are.

I cladded my two tunnels 48' by 18' in 2014 and have only had to tape/repair spots from damage done by myself.

Just to add that the 2 rolls of plastic I used had been stored in my shed for over 6 years as it took me a long time to get around to assemble the tunnels and was surprised that it was still in good nick when we unravelled it to clad the tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.lucchiniidromeccanica.it/en/prodotti/cover-for-greenhouses-plastic-film-patilite.php

This stuff Patilite is good.

I don't know who is the Irish distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I got a tunnel supplied and erected by Polytunnels Direct, three years ago and the plastic is still in perfect condition. Perhaps you could buy the good quality material from them and it will last longer than three years. It might not be the cheapest but it seems you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Thanks guys I used pollyrope .ie the cheapest I could find 180 quid for 16/8 meters uv10 delivered to the door. Hopefully get a few years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have a tunnel supplied and erected by Polydome approx 13 years ago.

Still standing strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

You probably have a better more sturdier tunnel and better sheltered than me. TBH its worth spending a few extra euro on a good frame. I didn't I bought online from a company in northern Ireland and its flimsy enough and hard to get plastic really tight and its exposed enough to the winter storms but saying that I usually get 5 years out of it and covers it myself in half day.

Advertisement