Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on buying gtx 1650 super - dvi port or should pick dif card? needed

Options
  • 04-03-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

ok been postponing to upgrade for years now my gpu, and due to recent hype with super thought of buying one, but upon looking few i see that most dont have dvi port :confused: plus see a lot of price variation not sure if of the hype, as seems they were around 200e+ a bit when they came out.

to be fair im not mad into gaming as getting older - and my what now few euros 550ti still manages to pull likes of cs:go and rocket league at hd settings fine, but would like opportunity to play smth like btf5 gta etc at max/medium hd settings. And looking at cards i see most use hdmi ports, where think my monitor only has vga and dvi, so dont want any extra hassle with upgrade, just swap out cards.

current system spec:

z97 msi gaming 7 MB
    SSD drives.
    8gb dual channel 1333mhz ddr3
    cpu intel xeon 1240 v3 3.4ghz boost to 3.8.
    gpu:msi 550ti :|

ive even no clue if 1650 super is a bit overkill, but want something to last at least few more years, budget 200pound +/- 20, as want to spend few quid getting extra storage. i know that i dont really need more then 4gb in video memory then again just something ive picked up recently on youtube so not sure if relevant much to go for higher number then that.

as play on 1920x1280 and its quite rarely nowadays, would prefer likes of amazon or paypal payment in case as usual if card needs to be returned due to some issues etc.

and decent brand msi or the likes that been proven.

thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The GTX1650 is a massive upgrade, if those are the sort of games you're playing it'll be fine. BF5 and GTAV will run at highest settings fine. If you really want to push out the budget, a GTX1660 6GB is a good bit faster, but a basic £130 GTX1650 will be fine.

You can also consider a Radeon RX570 for the same price as the GTX1650, uses more power but a bit faster too.

What monitor do you have. All the new cards won't support old monitors with outdated dvi standards, definitely not vga.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

A GTX1650 super isn't far off a gtx 1660 non-super and beats the rx570 in all but the most extremely amd friendly titles. The plain 1650 is a much worse card.

9 out of 13 of the 1650 supers listed by uk pcpartpicker have dvi ports and as long as you are talking about 1080p (i.e. not higher res requiring dual-link) that's just fine. At 1080p you can just use a "cheap" hdmi to dvi cable anyway if you want a card that doesn't have a dvi port.

Given you mention medium settings and wanting some budget for storage I'd just go with a 1650 super as I'd say it's bound to handle medium settings at 1080p for quite a while as it seems to generally handle ultra on nearly everything for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thx for reply went with gigabyte 1650 oc 4g super at the end, looked up few reviews seems to be ok card, not to expensive and if mine 550ti managed well over 7 yrs now, and still can do hd on few games so will be massive improvement as dont think will do any upgrades for few years unless new build.

Advertisement