Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is raw pre packaged mince?

• 04-03-2020 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I recently tried homemade Kitfo. She sliced the beef herself from a butcher bought fillet and prepared the dish immediately.

I'm told the bacteria live on the surface only, so freshly minced beef won't development much bacteria before it reaches your stomach.

However, pre packaged mince might be a different story. I was going to try steak tartare at home.

Has anyone ever had carpaccio or tartare?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I recently tried homemade Kitfo. She sliced the beef herself from a butcher bought fillet and prepared the dish immediately.

I'm told the bacteria live on the surface only, so freshly minced beef won't development much bacteria before it reaches your stomach.

However, pre packaged mince might be a different story. I was going to try steak tartare at home.

Go for it , you'll be fine.
    Report back to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Wife told me she couldn't find vegetarian mince at the supermarket...

I told her she should have tried the Quorner shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Wife told me she couldn't find vegetarian mince at the supermarket...

I told her she should have tried the Quorner shop.

Quorny.

Raw meat, especially minced, has a vile texture.

But as the saying goes for packaged mince, if it's brown, chow on down, if it's movin' , keep on groovin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Crock Rock wrote: »

Got talking to a chef as he was making steak tartare once and he said he always made it from scratch to be eaten relatively quickly soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Deub

Got talking to a chef as he was making steak tartare once and he said he always made it from scratch to be eaten relatively quickly soon after.

+1 to this. Don’t use prepacked mince meat. You don’t know how the meat was stored before being on the shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I'll close this for a few minutes and move it to the Food forum where you will find better answers to this question.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules before you post again.

Buford T. Justice.

This topic falls under Food Safety advice which is strictly prohibited under the F&D Charter. So we’re going to keep it locked.

The Gloomster!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement