Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from mains box

Options
  • 04-03-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All

I know already that this is a stupid question but....

I've just moved into an apartment and I've been woken the last few nights by a really loud clicking or banging noise.
    This noise has only being happening when the timer for the hot water is running in the night, initially I thought it was from the water tank.
    I realized this morning that it's actually coming from the mains box.

My question is, is this a hurry and get that sorted asap thing or will it be ok for a few days if I don't set the timer for the hot water to come on.

Hate anything got to do with electricity :(

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

han2000 wrote: »
    Hi All

I know already that this is a stupid question but....

I've just moved into an apartment and I've been woken the last few nights by a really loud clicking or banging noise.
    This noise has only being happening when the timer for the hot water is running in the night, initially I thought it was from the water tank.
    I realized this morning that it's actually coming from the mains box.

My question is, is this a hurry and get that sorted asap thing or will it be ok for a few days if I don't set the timer for the hot water to come on.

Hate anything got to do with electricity :(

Thanks in advance.

You got storage heaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

Yes, but haven't used them or turned them on since I moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Kramer1 is spot on. It’s the contactor pulling in for the storage heaters on night rate electricity.

I've never had storage heaters before but I'm assuming that's not a normal noise, is it dangerous?

It's a normal noise.
    Is it the same time every night?

• Advertisement

No different times but always between 4 - 7.30 which is what made me think it was in relation to the water heating.

As long as I know it's not dangerous that puts my mind at ease, it's more so the neighbors I was thinking of with the noise.

The building maintenance man is calling next week so I'll run it by him, I just didn't want to leave it until then if it was a problem.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I've never had storage heaters before but I'm assuming that's not a normal noise, is it dangerous?

There should be a trip switch that controls the contactor circuit (6 amp or 10amp) that you can turn off to prevent the contactor from energising if your concerned although the noise you are hearing is quite normal

meercat wrote: »
    There should be a trip switch that controls the contactor circuit (6 amp or 10amp) that you can turn off to prevent the contactor from energising if your concerned although the noise you are hearing is quite normal

Any of these ones in the picture?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Any of these ones in the picture?

Yes, try switching off breaker no. 10 (the 6A Devireg one).

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, try switching off breaker no. 10 (the 6A Devireg one).

Great I'll do that, thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

This is why i love boards, decent ppl helping others, fair play.

6541 wrote: »
      This is why i love boards, decent ppl helping others, fair play.

Totally agree, so decent :)

Advertisement