Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Life Fix

Options
  • 04-03-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Anyone else watching this? Its on RTE 1 now?

Makes you realise how lucky you are.

The kid is amazing and its great to see his family are so supportive.

Also that's terrible the form of Alzheimers that Jacinta has.
    Horrible for that to happen to anyone to have any form of Alzheimers and have your skills and ability's slowly taken away from you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

best thing ive seen on TV in a long time, i suspect that a lot of people could do with help like that

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lionse

Brilliant Programme from a human aspect and product design point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Real warming of the soul, fair play to the designers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Don't want to be harsh here, but have to say I found it absolutely frustrating to watch.....

And I know everyone probably had their hearts in the right place, but all these "teams" to...

Put a Google home, with a switch into a chair, and the other 3 buttons where not really needed, if they got her a Spotify, auduable and tune in accounts.

One switch and ask for radio, books or music!, or time, weather and everthing else.

I mean what were they actually trying to do with the first demo, with wires hanging out of everthing (with crocodile clips! ) and speaker stands tower over her, and a cushion that done absolutely nothing.

Why not just bring a google home to her house for her to try?

Anyway at least both participants where happy in the end, when they finally got there, which is the main thing I suppose.

Double post...I blame the cronavirus thread for the glitches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

It took a year to make the dinosaur. Dedication and It was amazing - but it looked almost too small already by the time the kid got it...

Also - with all the double sided tape he used on the teeth and the cloth dragging along etc - cannot see that lasting long in the wet grass unfortunately...

His first go cart idea was much better - you can buy these ready made, to connect to your hoverboard just like he did - and they are adjustable for different sizes

https://www.techspec.ie/product/gokart/

But a motorised buggy was just the opposite what he wanted - he seemed more active that that.

kart23y-150x150.jpg

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

ForestFire wrote: »
    Don't want to be harsh here, but have to say I found it absolutely frustrating to watch.....

And I know everyone probably had their hearts in the right place, but all these "teams" to...

Put a Google home, with a switch into a chair, and the other 3 buttons where not really needed, if they got her a Spotify, auduable and tune in accounts.

One switch and ask for radio, books or music!, or time, weather and everthing else.

I mean what were they actually trying to do with the first demo, with wires hanging out of everthing (with crocodile clips! ) and speaker stands tower over her, and a cushion that done absolutely nothing.

Why not just bring a google home to her house for her to try?

Anyway at least both participants where happy in the end, when they finally got there, which is the main thing I suppose.

Google home and Alexa are finicky devices. You have to be careful of the order and way you say things to get them to work.

The woman suffers from dementia so having her try to remember how to get things like spotify working would probably be a bit too much. She can no longer read or tell the time so I wouldn't hold out much hope for her being able to reliably work a google home.

The simplicity of just pressing a button to instantly access music or her books is a good solution suited to the problem I think. It's like putting a shortcut on your computer desktop to get where you want without having to remember the path to it.

I think this is what they were trying to convey in the episode. The high tech stuff is too complicated for someone with her condition. It needs to be something customised to the person.

The stuff with the pillow was a bit weird alright but I think that was more of a "we need a prototype" type deal to fit the show format rather than an actual workable solution.

Other solution was quite good though for the child, although it did seem like a lot of the work was done by the other experts brought in to "help".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ozmo wrote: »

But a motorised buggy was just the opposite what he wanted - he seemed more active that that.

the point ws he could get to the bottom of the garden but couldnt get back up which was the point of the motorised buggy?

Ishmael wrote: »
    Google home and Alexa are finicky devices. You have to be careful of the order and way you say things to get them to work.

The woman suffers from dementia so having her try to remember how to get things like spotify working would probably be a bit too much. She can no longer read or tell the time so I wouldn't hold out much hope for her being able to reliably work a google home.

The simplicity of just pressing a button to instantly access music or her books is a good solution suited to the problem I think. It's like putting a shortcut on your computer desktop to get where you want without having to remember the path to it.

I think this is what they were trying to convey in the episode. The high tech stuff is too complicated for someone with her condition. It needs to be something customised to the person.

The stuff with the pillow was a bit weird alright but I think that was more of a "we need a prototype" type deal to fit the show format rather than an actual workable solution.

Other solution was quite good though for the child, although it did seem like a lot of the work was done by the other experts brought in to "help".

Don't disagree with most of that, especially the part of doing things just to try and make the format of the show more interesting, but they ended up giving her a Google home anyway on the chair....

It was the 4th button on the other arm of the chair.....

So now she has 4 buttons instead of 1......when she already said at the start of the show the buttons on her music player were too complicated for her now....

Google home works with simple commands, but agree can sometimes get things a bit wrong...

Commands like

Press button, play Tom Jones

Will most likley play Tom Jones on spotify, but sometimes it might try smart TV, if setup.

Press button, play Tom Jones music

Has a better success

Press button, play Tom Jones on Spotify

Is the best command

Play a book, I don't have audibl, But I imagine...

Press button, read me Stephen Kings it!!

Will work

The point is, it was a simple ready made device for her to try, even using it from a phone, without the team of experts to create a frankinstein machine to put her in that didn't work anyway and visable frustrate her... But again maybe it's good TV, to have a low point followed by the shining successful end!

While carrying a perfect good Google home into her house on day 1 possible lacks all the drama....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good show this week. A speech app for woman with motor neuron disease and a prosthetic arm for a young lad to help him row his boat. I think both fixes were much better than last week.

• Advertisement

I was harsh on last weeks show, but have to say much much better this week, and I'm sure that app will be on the market soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw it last night for the first time. Thought it was great. The poor young girl, delighted for her and also the chap who got back on the bike. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Cracking job on the modified oar and boat for the boy. Now, if they could just get a team of experts in to fix the teeth and hair of Skibb people, it'd be a great show ;-)......the modified bike for the farmer? top stuff. Chiara (kee-a-ra) is easy on the eye, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This is an amazing show. It's good for the heart, mind and soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

This is a brilliant series! This is the type of stuff our TV license should support.

The wheel chair device was very good. Although I have no idea how he ever thought the prototype ply wood was a good idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

This is an amazing show. It's good for the heart, mind and soul.

100%

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just watched the show. Thought the gator hoist was clunky and the use of plywood in the prototype was a serious flaw. I thought he'd go for existing medical hoists.......the Brush Whiskers is excellent and fair play to the designer for putting it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I watched this the other night on TV and thought it was fantastic.

A really uplifting, inspiring programme that I enjoyed watching, during these times. :)

Advertisement