Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman killed by van in Raheny

Options

Comments

Car accident? Shooting?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

One female pedestrian hit. Twitter gone mad saying 12 injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

2 seperate incidents same van maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BanditLuke wrote: »
    2 seperate incidents same van maybe?

It's one incident. It's the James larkin road. Don't mind the Spoofers on here feeding off twitter mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

listermint wrote: »
    It's one incident. It's the James larkin road. Don't mind the Spoofers on here feeding off twitter mania.

Thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1 lady jogger hit. Driver had a diabetic turn

It's in Raheny and not Baldoyle.

This is why I don't do twitter. Its full of twits :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

listermint wrote: »

Road is tight there and the curb is low - genuinely don’t like driving that stretch

Here's where it occured

A good mile away from Baldoyle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ohmeha wrote: »
    There is no way a driver could have a diabetic turn and drive snuggly onto that sectioned off path/cycle track and then run a number of people down over a long stretch without himself driving off into the sea

It was one person not a number of people.

This poor lady has now died.

Mods can we get this shut down out of respect for the lady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

I've read that the lady has not survived.

highdef wrote:
    I've read that the lady has not survived.

It's very sad.

R.I.P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

I've just tidied up the thread, deleted posts with the wrong information

re opened.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

News story about it in The Irish Times.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/van-driven-1km-on-dublin-walkway-before-fatally-injuring-jogger-1.4193893

It says the driver was driving on the path for about 1KM before hitting the woman. I wonder was he driving on the path before having the medical incident and hitting the woman or did the incident cause him to go on to the path?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/van-driven-1km-on-dublin-walkway-before-fatally-injuring-jogger-1.4193893

It says the driver was driving on the path for about 1KM before hitting the woman. I wonder was he driving on the path before having the medical incident and hitting the woman or did the incident cause him to go on to the path?

he was hardly driving on the path for the craic now was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hard to imagine how you could be driving on the path for 1km while having a medical incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jim Root wrote: »
    he was hardly driving on the path for the craic now was he?

Not much surprises me in Dublin.

I live so close to the scene that I could spit and almost hit it. Locally its been claimed that he had a diabetic incident. Can't say how true it is but this has been claimed hours before it was announced that she had died.

She has four young children. Truly tragic

Hard to imagine how you could be driving on the path for 1km while having a medical incident?

He came down the Kilbarrack Road & entered the cycle track at that junction with the coast Road. From there all he could do is drive in a straight line as there was now a Two foot wall between his van & the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He came down the Kilbarrack Road & entered the cycle track at that junction with the coast Road. From there all he could do is drive in a straight line as there was now a Two foot wall between his van & the road.

So the van was effectively "on-rails", in gear, with the driver unconscious or incapacitated?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

macwal wrote: »
    So the van was effectively "on-rails", in gear, with the driver unconscious or incapacitated?

Well no, there's only a wall on one side, there's water on the other.

Very hard to see how an incapacitated driver manage to drive along a cyclepath for a kilometer. This can't be as clear-cut as some are making it out to be.

Very sad.

macwal wrote: »

I'm concerned that graving family or friends could read this thread & don't want to speculate wildly but That's a possibility. I wasn't there but if he was indeed having some kind of medical emergency I can see how this could happen. There has been absolutely no mention of anyone being arrested at the scene or held for questioning so I can only assume that there if truth in the "health issues" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm concerned that graving family or friends could read this thread & don't want to speculate wildly but That's a possibility. I wasn't there but if he was indeed having some kind of medical emergency I can see how this could happen. There has been absolutely no mention of anyone being arrested at the scene or held for questioning so I can only assume that there if truth in the "health issues" story.

Van drove for at least 1k on the inside down the cycle/walking track ,I seen where it stopped ,

I find it hard to believe he had a medical issues and the Van ended up up there by accident but was then able to continue 1 k down an narrow stretch without crashing into the wall or sea ?

Very strange and very said ,

I find it hard to believe he had a medical issues and the Van ended up up there by accident but was then able to continue 1 k down an narrow stretch without crashing into the wall or sea ?

Who said that he didn't tear the side off the van?

The Gardai have statements from other motorists from the Kilbarrack and Coast road. They know what route he took and they know how he was driving before entering the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was on Sandymount Strand last night and could see 2 helicopters buzzing around towards Howth, sad what it turned out to be.
    So many people have died in car accidents recently, 7 at the weekend, this poor lady and another man died last night in a stationary car.
    I don't get why we just shrug our shoulders when it comes to car deaths which are a horribly gruesome way to go, but the Corona virus is treated like the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tragic.
    Been on that track lots of times and often would think 'at least I'm safe here'.

Poor kids, family and friends.
    RIP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement