Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman killed by van in Raheny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I actually passed this stretch on my bike yesterday evening 30mins before the tragic accident. I thought the track generally was really busy close to 18:30. Huge number of runners out. Very sad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The Council will now have to install bollards to prevent vehicles getting access to the cycle lane / pedestrian walkway along the sea front there to prevent a recurrence of what appears to be an albeit freak tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I find it hard to believe he had a medical issues...
    If it was related to (Diabetic) Hypoglycaemia, it's 100% possible.

The driver, if it is the case, would also have an incredibly hazy right up to absolutely no memory of it. Once blood sugars drop low enough it can basically (and mostly does) become a complete blackout for the person concerned despite appearing responsive to people around them.

Yet a Diabetic is able to make (very poor and pretty incoherent) conversation (often mistaken for being under the influence of alcohol) or carry out an act like driving (just with very poor judgement or reaction times, with a high potential to lose control at any moment).

For years as a child my brother would randomly ask me capital cities of obscure countries if he noticed unusual behaviour. He knew if I responded with "Yeah", or something equally out of place, I probably needed some Lucozade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »

The driver, if it is the case, would also have an incredibly hazy right up to absolutely no memory of it. Once blood sugars drop low enough it can basically (and mostly does) become a complete blackout for the person concerned despite appearing responsive to people around them.

Yet a Diabetic is able to make (very poor and pretty incoherent) conversation (often mistaken for being under the influence of alcohol) or carry out an act like driving (just with very poor judgement or reaction times, with a high potential to lose control at any moment).

For years as a child my brother would randomly ask me capital cities of obscure countries if he noticed unusual behaviour. He knew if I responded with "Yeah", or something equally out of place, I probably needed some Lucozade.

He shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He came down the Kilbarrack Road & entered the cycle track at that junction with the coast Road. From there all he could do is drive in a straight line as there was now a Two foot wall between his van & the road.

So he entered at the waterworks and drove up towards the new apartments being built on the coast road?

I regularly walk that route, so very frightening that this could happen.

God love the woman and her family.

Plus if it's a health issue the poor driver too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »

You'd fell a hypo coming on, lack of concentration would kick in around 3.5 ,should know to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Who said that he didn't tear the side off the van?

The Gardai have statements from other motorists from the Kilbarrack and Coast road. They know what route he took and they know how he was driving before entering the cycle track.

I seen the side of the van that would be on the wall side and it looked completely fine , Now I couldn't see the bumper or the front as a bush was in the way ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

reg114 wrote: »
    The Council will now have to install bollards to prevent vehicles getting access to the cycle lane / pedestrian walkway along the sea front there to prevent a recurrence of what appears to be an albeit freak tragedy.

The only open parts are at Kilbarrick road turn and the down at Baldoyle ,
    They are needed for ambulances to get up if anything happens ,

I didn't see any of the wall damaged but maybe I missed it ,
    Bizzare if the Van made it all the way from the Kilbarrick turn down to where it was stopped ,

Again maybe I missed where the wall was smashed ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So he entered at the waterworks and drove up towards the new apartments being built on the coast road?

I regularly walk that route, so very frightening that this could happen.

God love the woman and her family.

Plus if it's a health issue the poor driver too.

This is exactly what happened. The lady was jogging I believe & possibly had headphones/earphones on.

There is no proof on health issue or not but health issue has been reported There has been no reporting of man being arrested at the scene so I would think far too early to go blaming the driver

This is exactly what happened. The lady was jogging I believe & possibly had headphones/earphones on.

There is no proof on health issue or not but health issue has been reported There has been no reporting of man being arrested at the scene so I would think far too early to go blaming the driver

Given that route I'm surprised only one person was hit. It's always very busy.

• Advertisement

I agree completely with this only problem is we do not know 100% if that's what happened,

The wall at the black banks is very low, half a foot if even high ,
    He could have went on top the cycle path there , I drove past but didn't see the wall smashed anywhere but I could have easily missed it ,

He drove from The Kilbarack road, across the coast road & turned onto the cycle track instead of the road itself. There are whiteness & Gardai know what route he took. The route isn't in doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I was on Sandymount Strand last night and could see 2 helicopters buzzing around towards Howth, sad what it turned out to be.
    So many people have died in car accidents recently, 7 at the weekend, this poor lady and another man died last night in a stationary car.
    I don't get why we just shrug our shoulders when it comes to car deaths which are a horribly gruesome way to go, but the Corona virus is treated like the end of the world.

Old people, drunk people and speeding idiots are causing the death statistics to rise on the road. Just because someone kills themselves in the middle of the night due to drunk driving, this should be called out. It's not enough to just report a single vehicle crash at 4am, by way of example.

That's for another thread though. This poor woman, I just think it my sister or a friend or someone out loving their life, jogging and relaxing only to have it taken from them. Absolutely awful. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

The only open parts are at Kilbarrick road turn and the down at Baldoyle ,
    They are needed for ambulances to get up if anything happens ,

I didn't see any of the wall damaged but maybe I missed it ,
    Bizzare if the Van made it all the way from the Kilbarrick turn down to where it was stopped ,

Again maybe I missed where the wall was smashed ,
    If the van hit the wall where the path/cycle section kinks left at the junction of James Larkin Road then I can't see how the van ended up an approx further 100 metres still on the path while 'appearing' to be looking undamaged from the photo of the stationary van. It looks to me the van had to be under some level control/direction to get to where it got, how much the driver was aware/unaware only investigators and experts can establish that

There will certainly have to be bollards placed at all entries along that stretch from Sutton to Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wear headphones every day on bike, just podcasts and talk radio. Can still hear all traffic. Surely you think cars should have no radios and have to have windows down for safety too?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Ohmeha wrote: »
    If the van hit the wall where the path/cycle section kinks left at the junction of James Larkin Road then I can't see how the van ended up an approx further 100 metres still on the path while 'appearing' to be looking undamaged from the photo of the stationary van. It looks to me the van had to be under some level control/direction to get to where it got, how much the driver was aware/unaware only investigators and experts can establish that

There will certainly have to be bollards placed at all entries along that stretch from Sutton to Clontarf

I believe the van entered the cycle/foot path at the junction between the James Larkin Road and Kilbarrack Road. The driver must have taken a sharp right turn there to stay on the cycle/foot path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrible tragedy, both for the woman who died and the person who was driving.

Just on the issue of headphones, I only use one bluetooth at a volume I can hear, in one ear only when out walking. Don't mean to sound superior or anything, just what I do, then I can usually hear what's around me too. But I have hearing difficulties, and I know what works for me.

May that lady rest in peace. Must be terribly shocking for her family and friends. So sudden.

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself. But I'd say the driver is distraught now, and I doubt it was deliberate either. What a tragedy for all of them.

I'm actually sick to my stomach as I walk there regularly with the baby in the pram and the lil fella on the buggy board.

If a van was coming towards me I don't know what I'd do, as no way I could lift the pram up on the wall, so my options would be the sea or turn and try to out run the van. If the van was behind me I'd doubt I'd register as there's so much traffic along that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

He drove from The Kilbarack road, across the coast road & turned onto the cycle track instead of the road itself. There are whiteness & Gardai know what route he took. The route isn't in doubt

I had a look at that on Google Maps, that's a very tight turn, very hard to imagine someone managing to do that whilst under a medical condition (if I'm looking at the right spot).

Would the traffic on the Howth/Dublin Road have been heavy at whatever time it happened? I have no idea what the traffic is like around there, but any chance he was trying to beat traffic all the way down to Causeway Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

turn and try to out run the van.

This is what they always do in the movies and it never works. You need to go perpendicular to the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭roddney

I guess eventually it ends up that a thread on boards is about a friend as in this case.

I really don’t see the point of this thread and it’s in very bad taste.

• Advertisement

macwal wrote:
    Would the traffic on the Howth/Dublin Road have been heavy at whatever time it happened? I have no idea what the traffic is like around there, but any chance he was trying to beat traffic all the way down to Causeway Road?

Not a hope in hell. Happened around 7:10pm and there is little or no traffic going in that direction at night. He was heading towards town and going against the heavy traffic

I'll say this one last time. Gardai have witnesses. Gardai know what his driving was like "before" he entered the cycle lane. His driving was erratic and dangerous on the Kilbarrack road before he got to the cycle track

Effects wrote: »
    This is what they always do in the movies and it never works. You need to go perpendicular to the vehicle.

Perpendicular is a 6 foot sloped drop the the sea or jumping the wall with a pram and two small kids. Not great options.

Anyways back on topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not a hope in hell. Happened around 7:10pm and there is little or no traffic going in that direction at night. He was heading towards town and going against the heavy traffic

I'll say this one last time. Gardai have witnesses. Gardai know what his driving was like "before" he entered the cycle lane. His driving was erratic and dangerous on the Kilbarrack road before he got to the cycle track

Exactly, it just doesn't add up as an accident. He would have had to entered the cycle track and then lost control of the van for over half a kilometre but in that time somehow managed to somehow keep the van from stalling and in between a sheer drop in to the sea on the left and a brick wall on the right for that distance while seeing multiple cyclists and walkers on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wasn't there a video a few years ago of someone driving on this walkway along the coast road?

They widened it a few years ago of i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Wasn't there a video a few years ago of someone driving on this walkway along the coast road?

They widened it a few years ago of i remember correctly.

There's a picture on the cycling forum I think of a car driving in the cycle lane in Clontarf during heavy flooding. Maybe it was a video.

Exactly, it just doesn't add up as an accident. He would have had to entered the cycle track and then lost control of the van for over half a kilometre but in that time somehow managed to somehow keep the van from stalling and in between a sheer drop in to the sea on the left and a brick wall on the right for that distance while seeing multiple cyclists and walkers on the route.

Maybe you missed my point. He was driving erratically before he entered the cycle lane. No one knows what happened but it has been reported that he has underlying health issues. There are plenty of health issues that can leave you in an extremely confused state. Low blood sugar or low insulin, parkinsons disease, seizures, Strokes or mini strokes & plenty of different medicine for example. Any of the above mentioned could explain what happened. You understand that he could have thought that he was on the road driving perfectly normal in a confused state? Have you ever driven behind someone driving buckled drunk? Swerving and clipping the footpath, clipping or almost clipping other cars for miles and miles. These drivers are in an alcohol induced state of confusion. There are many medical conditions that can come on quickly that can cause the same state of confusion. No one is suggesting that he was gripping his heart in pain and trying to stear his van.

The thing is no one knows. There are no reports of anyone being arrested at the scene so it's probably not alcohol.

Far more people are killed and injured in cars than on bikes.

If underlying health issues can result in this kind of driving, then the driver shouldn't be driving. Maybe we need regular medicals for all drivers to stop this happening.

You genuinely suggesting that no diabetic, anyone suffers from seizures, or anyone on anti depressants should never drive? You've ruled out half of the country

The same sources said the driver of the van had an acute health condition and had been fitted with a medical device to maintain stability in his day-to-day wellbeing. Gardaí were trying to establish if he may have suffered a serious health episode while behind the wheel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/jogger-killed-when-hit-by-van-on-walkway-was-mother-of-four-1.4193893?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR3I1H5cBfr7Q75egZ6Rae4CwGxm7jiTy4LEk4steBLgHXZ9SkJbHRmW1e8

• Registered Users Posts: 56,349 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Where exactly was the incident? Kilbarrack road heading to the coast? Or on the coast/Dublin road that leads to dollymount?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

On the coast road, just after the turn for the Howth Rd. Basically half way between Kilbarrack Rd and Dollymount beach turn.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

walshb wrote: »
    Where exactly was the incident? Kilbarrack road heading to the coast? Or on the coast/Dublin road that leads to dollymount?
    van stopped on coast road just after it splits into the howth road (towards the city)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement