Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman killed by van in Raheny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,353 ✭✭✭✭walshb

d51984 wrote: »
    On the coast road, just after the turn for the Howth Rd. Basically half way between Kilbarrack Rd and Dollymount beach turn.

Thanks...but I am still bloody lost..

Do you know the Dollymount House pub?

If you exit the pub, is it to your left towards Howth, or your right towards the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

walshb wrote: »
    Where exactly was the incident? Kilbarrack road heading to the coast? Or on the coast/Dublin road that leads to dollymount?

Car drove down to the bottom of the Kilbarrack road, where it meets the coast rood. He turned right but not onto the roads as youd expect. He turned right onto the cycle lane. Accident happened after a few hundred yards & before the new apartments on this road. Van continued on for another few hundred yards before it stopped. It stopped at the palm trees facing the S bend. If you drive by you will see lots of flowers at the accident spot

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Car drove down to the bottom of the Kilbarrack road, where it meets the coast rood. He turned right but not onto the roads as youd expect. He turned right onto the cycle lane. Accident happened after a few hundred yards & before the new apartments on this road. Van continued on for another few hundred yards before it stopped. It stopped at the palm trees facing the S bend. If you drive by you will see lots of flowers at the accident spot

Got it. Thanks...I know the area well..tragic

Had the lady been named?

Thanks...but I am still bloody lost..

Do you know the Dollymount House pub?

If you exit the pub, is it to your left towards Howth, or your right towards the city?

You are miles away. Dollymount pub is long gone. This happened in Raheny. literally a few hundred yards from the kilbarrack road.

Got it. Thanks...I know the area well..tragic

Had the lady been named?

Yes in the link

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...XZ9SkJbHRmW1e8

• Advertisement

You are miles away. Dollymount pub is long gone. This happened in Raheny. literally a few hundred yards from the kilbarrack road.

Yeh, I know it’s gone. I was using it as a landmark..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sleepy12 wrote:
    You genuinely suggesting that no diabetic, anyone suffers from seizures, or anyone on anti depressants should never drive? You've ruled out half of the country
    Knowing from friends of mine in that boat, you have to be seizure free for at least 12 months before being allowed drive. If you're diabetic, you're legally required to check your sugar levels before starting to drive and recheck every two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Named as Nuala Grant from Bettyglen. Lovely looking woman. RIP. thoughts to Nualas family, especially her 4 children.

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.4194426.1583439622!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Your points about all this are simple spot on common sense...

Missed by so many...and, you’re are not blaming the poor victim here...

Yeah it's common sense if you are jogging along a road with no footpath and you need your wits about you.

You say you know the area well so you know this section is completely pedestrianised with two cycle lanes. There's a four foot (?) wall between the road and the walkway.

The fact she had earphones in, if she did, I honestly don't know, is irrelevant. She is 100% not at fault. The van shouldn't have been there.

I'm not going to blame the driver as I know nothing about his situation.

If you want to start a thread on the dangers of earphones while jogging feel free, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You genuinely suggesting that no diabetic, anyone suffers from seizures, or anyone on anti depressants should never drive? You've ruled out half of the country
    Well if they can not recognise when they are suffering or have diminished faculties, but can manage to navigate traffic, take a tight right turn onto a footpath, and continue a kilometer along that footpath, ultimately killing a mother of 4, then no, they absolutely should not be allowed to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Most probably with headphones in

Mod

You have initially speculated this in the quoted post, and the in several of your subsequent posts re-enforced this view thereby trying to make it a fact. Do you have any credible source? If not then drop this, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

d51984 wrote: »
    Named as Nuala Grant from Bettyglen. Lovely looking woman. RIP. thoughts to Nualas family, especially her 4 children.

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.4194426.1583439622!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

In an otherwise thoughtful post, it seems irrelevant at best and disrespectful at worst to note she was “lovely looking”.

RIP, very sad day for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrible tragedy for all concerned.

A few weeks ago three innocent kids were killed in Newcastle by their mother, and I know that has to be proven in court, but still.

A woman killed a person fixing his car in Citywest.

And so many other awful deaths too lately.

May they all rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If we ban under 25s we will save more lives than banning diabetic people. Why would we ban one group & not the other?

I'm not sure that your analysis is correct, so you might want to share your source, but regardless, if it is true, then bring it on. If that's what it takes to stop this carnage, bring it on.

Utter nonsense. If we ban under 25s we will save more lives than banning diabetic people. Why would we ban one group & not the other?

No one knows but aren't there insulin devices that are fitted too? Insulin pumps I think. No one knows though it's all guessing but locally since last night it's been reported as a diabetic incident.

Ironically there were 2 or 3 teenagers killed on that stretch of road, could be 15 yrs ago at this stage, further down towards Sutton.

Yeah I think you're right about the insulin, the point I was trying to make was we don't know for certain, let's leave the pitch forks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

anewme wrote: »
    A man was killed in Citywest. His name was Gareth Kelly.

I said a woman killed a man. Read my post again.

Sympathies to the deceased and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Baseball72

A medical issue can be sudden but even if onset is gradual the driver may not realise what is happening to them...

A while back, as per my usual practice, I took an antihistamine before driving to work - except that I in error took an identical looking tablet from my bedside locker. 30 mins later, oncoming traffic looks odd to me, I hit a couple of curbs, burst a tyre and pull into a side street and parked up. Turns out I had taken a sleeping tablet that I happened to have lying around the place. New tyre, new bearing - but I could easily have killed someone or myself over a stupid error....I had no idea what was happening to me whilst driving that morning.......maybe that's what happened last night in Raheny.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ironically there were 2 or 3 teenagers killed on that stretch of road, could be 15 yrs ago at this stage, further down towards Sutton.

Yeah I think you're right about the insulin, the point I was trying to make was we don't know for certain, let's leave the pitch forks down.

Yes I remember that crash...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/three-dead-and-two-injured-in-crash-1.363335

No one knows. Some posters making the driver out to be the boogy man without any proof gets my goat up. I prefer to wait for proof before I blame the driver. If he's at fault then throw away the keys but right now he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

That's exactly the way I feel too.

But jesus I just don't know how he managed to do it.

I was talking with friends earlier, we all know the area well and everyones reaction was puzzlement.

As I said earlier I'm actually surprised only one person was injured as it's such a popular walk and cycling track.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As I said earlier I'm actually surprised only one person was injured as it's such a popular walk and cycling track.

It was busy down there last night too. A cyclist was nearly hit in the incident and I can only assume more people had to get out of the way.

• Advertisement

It's a busy spot. I've no idea if others were there & got out of the way but he wasn't travelling far on the track before the accident. I could be mistaken but I think he travelled further on the track after the accident then before it. I'd say the Gardai are scratching their heads at this one. I don't think there are any easy answers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

TheBoyConor don't post in this thread again.

This is the second thread discussing a tragic event in recent weeks that you have attempted to derail with unverified or irrelevant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That cycle and walking track has a lot to answer for..Over one million euro unnecessarily spent on raising and then lowering a wall. A supposedly protected ecosystem permanently damaged and a previously SAFE and RAISED cycle and walking path bulldozed put down to road level, the protective grass verge and trees removed and both busy lanes of traffic with lanes reduced to far too narrow to accommodate safely busses or a truck and a bus coming in opposite directions . And a few inches of raised verge now all that is between this fast busy artery road and joggers/pedestrians. If the so called planners had left it the way it was before, this accident could never have happened.

No wonder thousands were at the mass meetings in Raheny and Clontarf protesting about it for months.

RIP to that poor lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

That cycle and walking track has a lot to answer for....
    I believe it was before that part; it was where the path is elevated and there is no planting.

That cycle and walking track has a lot to answer for..Over one million euro unnecessarily spent on raising and then lowering a wall. A supposedly protected ecosystem permanently damaged and a previously SAFE and RAISED cycle and walking path bulldozed put down to road level, the protective grass verge and trees removed and both busy lanes of traffic with lanes reduced to far too narrow to accommodate safely busses or a truck and a bus coming in opposite directions . And a few inches of raised verge now all that is between this fast busy artery road and joggers/pedestrians. If the so called planners had left it the way it was before, this accident could never have happened.

No wonder thousands were at the mass meetings in Raheny and Clontarf protesting about it for months.

RIP to that poor lady.

Except it didn't happen there, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Zulu wrote: »
    I believe it was before that part; it was where the path is elevated and there is no planting.

I must make inquiries - the twitter feed looked as thou it might be at Blackbanks or near the Foxes Lane part but I don’t know. Regardless had the seafront walkway been left as it had been in its original, first or second state with the elevated bank and shrubs and grass banks left in place rather that flatted and tarmacadamed to resemble a ubiquitous lane of traffic it would not have been able to happen.

Regardless, RIP to this poor lady.

I must make inquiries - the twitter feed looked as thou it might be at Blackbanks or near the Foxes Lane part but I don’t know. Regardless had the seafront walkway been left as it had been in its original, first or second state with the elevated bank and shrubs and grass banks left in place rather that flatted and tarmacadamed to resemble a ubiquitous lane of traffic it would not have been able to happen.

Regardless, RIP to this poor lady.

It happened where there's a four foot wall between the road and the pedestrianised area.

This isn't an accident where a car lost control and swerved off the road.

The only upgrades this section has received are new tarmac and a paint job for the cycle track, the pumping station has also changed, otherwise its the same as it always been and I'm going back 40 yrs

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »

Rather than it being a head scratcher for Gardaí, if it is a freak diabetic event at the centre of it they're likely to have a very clear timeline and picture of the buildup to the tragic event.

As for the specifics that occured seeming baffling to people not familiar with a hypoglycemic event... .

Can I just address these two points, as I think sleeper said it was a head scratcher and I said it was baffling.

Now while I can't speak 100% for sleeper, but the way I took him up and definitely the way I meant it was nothing to do with how a hypoglycemic event happens but everything to do with the location.

Driving straight from kilbarrack Road to get up into the pedestrian area you are mounting a dropped curb, and there's a slight hill. It's a sharp right then. If you miss it you will end in the sea. The walkway itself is probably about 8 feet wide. Between the hill and the turn it would be an awkward enough manoeuvre,you've the sea on one side and a wall on the other.

I do agree with everything you said though, I just wanted to clarify my comments.

If it was a medical issue I feel extremely sorry for the driver, it's a tragedy all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Can I just address these two points, as I think sleeper said it was a head scratcher and I said it was baffling.

Now while I can't speak 100% for sleeper, but the way I took him up and definitely the way I meant it was nothing to do with how a hypoglycemic event happens but everything to do with the location.

Driving straight from kilbarrack Road to get up into the pedestrian area you are mounting a dropped curb, and there's a slight hill. It's a sharp right then. If you miss it you will end in the sea. The walkway itself is probably about 8 feet wide. Between the hill and the turn it would be an awkward enough manoeuvre,you've the sea on one side and a wall on the other.

I do agree with everything you said though, I just wanted to clarify my comments.

If it was a medical issue I feel extremely sorry for the driver, it's a tragedy all round.
    Wouldn't be too difficult as can be seen in this view of the two vans on the cycle/ walking lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wouldn't be too difficult as can be seen in this view of the two vans on the cycle/ walking lane

Still it makes non sense, so the van goes up there and continues for over 1k?
    Honestly I don't understand how a medical condition causes you to drive up there and keep going,
    Also in the picture that is the widest area it get narrower further on,
    I seen the Van zero damage to the side so never went near the wall

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement