Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Trigger bars.

You could share them if you banged the suddenly on the corner of a wall. If you were too slow they just bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

When you were a kid + getting off the bus you would always ask the bus driver if he any spare ticket rolls.

Every now + ago you would be given one + you would be the most popular kid on street for the week when we all played together + the conductor asked for 'Tickets please'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Shops and post offices outside the pale closed for lunch. Some still do.

Trip to Dublin on December 8th and a young lad outside Busaras would be looking for money for the bus home. You would give it as it seemed a reasonable request and you have minus 100 street wise skillz

Main thing about the trip to Dublin was being astounded of multi level Easons on O´Connell St. It was feckin amazing. Dubs passing by everyday didn't acknowledge what they had in that Easons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Leave it To Mrs O'Brien - the worst Irish comedy series

The Beat on the Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

My massive television took a few minutes to 'warm up'.
    You'd switch it on but might take about 3 minutes for a picture to form on the screen.

My uncle had one like that. And when you turned if off, would have this glowing dot in the middle of the screen,heh.

The static on TV before the test card came on, and broadcasting started for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What about duffle coats......everyone had one back in the day!

My uncle had one like that. And when you turned if off, would have this glowing dot in the middle of the screen,heh.

My first TV had the 405/625 line switch on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Teletext for the sports news and waiting an age for the page to refresh.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What about duffle coats......everyone had one back in the day!

I had one for school

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

branie2 wrote: »
    I had one for school

Snorkeler jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

Back in my day we had no internet,so when a bad virus done the rounds we all got the flu,and knew none the wiser..:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

a lot of ads for bras on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

We had grass fights when corpo cut the greens great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cars were falling apart, you expected to get a least 10-12 years out of a second hand car.
    Very common to see cars at night with only one headlamp working. Wing mirror missing etc.

Sports Stadium took up a lot of Saturday afternoon on RTE 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

If you wanted bacon or ham, you slaughtered your own hog. Fresh milk was brought to you by hand milking the cows.

If you wanted bacon or ham, you slaughtered your own hog. Fresh milk was brought to you by hand milking the cows.

And eggs came from the hen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

branie2 wrote: »
    And eggs came from the hen

Who lays the eggs now??

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Still hens

Before my time, but there was no telly on Good Friday, as it was a solemn day

Cars were falling apart, you expected to get a least 10-12 years out of a second hand car.
    Very common to see cars at night with only one headlamp working. Wing mirror missing etc.
    Old baking tray to cover the hole in the floor, yep done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

How about standing outside local shop asking anyone that passed if they had any ha'pennys, then going in to spend it all on golf balls and chocolate mice?
    Not sure why we thought an actual full penny or God forbid two pence was too much to ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Lucky bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

davedonie wrote: »
    How about standing outside local shop asking anyone that passed if they had any ha'pennys, then going in to spend it all on golf balls and chocolate mice?
    Not sure why we thought an actual full penny or God forbid two pence was too much to ask for.

And loose cigarettes, preferably Craven A or Sweet Afton please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Kalibar non alcoholic beer
    Raliagh chopper bikes
    Mullets

You were on the gaig!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

That was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lucky bags

I raise you gobstoppers..

Oh and sherbet dips!

• Advertisement

You were on the gaig!?

The gaig?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And loose cigarettes, preferably Craven A or Sweet Afton please.

Was way too young to smoke. But old enough to have to help drag the washing machine out the front door when it was time to put a load on, and get a slap if my hand went anywhere near the rollers

Was way too young to smoke. But old enough to have to help drag the washing machine out the front door when it was time to put a load on, and get a slap if my hand went anywhere near the rollers

you mean, the mangle.

Wasn’t a mangle a fodder beet?

you mean, the mangle.

The thing you roll the clothes through after the wash. We actually still have the machine, and the little spin driver that was got a few years later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Wham Bars.

My granny had one one and you'd push the sodden clothes through two large rollers by turning a handle.

My granny had one one and you'd push the sodden clothes through two large rollers by turning a handle.

That's the one. Turns out the rollers are called a mangle. I think.

The thing you roll the clothes through after the wash. We actually still have the machine, and the little spin driver that was got a few years later.

Last few posts are hilarious! You mean spin drier?

And mangel wurzel is the beet.

When you mention a mangle my fingers curl up with memories of then getting ….. mangled..OUCH!

• Advertisement

And if you folded them right, no need to iron, only you risked your fingers feeding them through

Just realised I am more than old enough to be someone' s granny! Never ever thought of that before! OH DEAR!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Last few posts are hilarious! You mean spin drier?

And mangel wurzel is the beet.

When you mention a mangle my fingers curl up with memories of then getting ….. mangled..OUCH!

Ye spin drier. It still works. Not sure the washing machine does, too much of an effort to yoke it up and check.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And if you folded them right, no need to iron, only you risked your fingers feeding them through

Just realised I am more than old enough to be someone' s granny! Never ever thought of that before! OH DEAR!

I couldn't roll it, now I know it was cos I was a toddler but at the time I thought my mother had the strength of superwoman.
    Bit mad that in one generation there are people booking a holiday on a laptop who when young had the job of fetching the water from that parish pump and can remember their mothers mortified face the day the ESB installed the lights in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Grew up on a farm. Common scene in front of the Wellstood cooker in the kitchen would be newborn chicks or frail baby lambs in a cardboard box bedded with straw. The chicks would escape sometimes and there would be bedlam in the kitchen trying to catch them and not step on them and hope to god the dog wouldn't get in and finish them off. There seemed to be always at least one chick with a gammy leg!

Ye spin drier. It still works. Not sure the washing machine does, too much of an effort to yoke it up and check.

I bought a new washing machine three years ago when I came here. Had a promise, no, TWO promises, that it would be installed ( never been a washing machine here before)

You guessed! Still sitting there. I am well used now to my old fashioned childhood ways of washing in the sink or a bucket and drying outside.

It was really not worth the hassle of chasing the promisers up. Took me months to get my gas cooker connected already you see. . And five months to get the ESB connected. Life really WAS simpler in the "old days" ..

Grew up on a farm. Common scene in front of the Wellstood cooker in the kitchen would be newborn chicks or frail baby lambs in a cardboard box bedded with straw. The chicks would escape sometimes and there would be bedlam in the kitchen trying to catch them and not step on them and hope to god the dog wouldn't get in and finish them off. There seemed to be always at least one chick with a gammy leg!

Oh such memories! Thank you! I raised chicks like that , safe from the cats. lol... Only 25 years ago though. Oh and a gosling who was rejected by his family! Sweet boy who followed me everywhere!

And weak kittens time after time...

Such a LIFE I have had! Such a LIFE!

• Advertisement

The gaig?
    Gaig or gegg. Dunno about the spelling but it was an old word for children begging.
    Small number of parents, alcos etc, would send their kids out on the gaig. Most parents if they found out their child was geggin would be mortified and probably they would take their weapon of choice to your backside.

Gaig or gegg. Dunno about the spelling but it was an old word for children begging.
    Small number of parents, alcos etc, would send their kids out on the gaig. Most parents if they found out their child was geggin would be mortified and probably they would take their weapon of choice to your backside.

Ha, ye we never got found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Spent plenty days thinning mangles.

Back in my day the only heating in a house was the real fire downstairs. A back boiler heated the water.

In winter upstairs was .. cold! Washing was an act of courage and we burrowed under the bedclothes with a hot water bottle. Which would assault our feet with its clammy rubber touch in the wee small hours.

If you were ill and an electric heater was put in your room you knew you were really ill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ah here! the classic bottle if you don't mind
    serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F2c%2F0e%2F8d%2F2c0e8dd1d95815b10445823898908d07.jpg&sp=f894022465481efe268d9345e865083c

Looks like milk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement