Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Wooden spoon was a weapon first and a kitchen utensil second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Robin of Sherwood, with Michael Praed and Jason Connery (Sean's son) as the man in green

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Back in my day...you'd have to ride someone first to get a virus

Sunday Night at the Gaiety, presented by Brendan Grace

Mumps, Measles or Chickenpox parties were the thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I remember that too. I have never had mumps, measles or chickenpox... so clearly I never went to the right parties :rolleyes:

I did have whooping cough at ten months old, It was during the War and before NHS so my poor mother must have been frantic. I still hate coughs and feel as if I am suffocating,

Roald Dahl was the best writer for children

branie2 wrote: »
    Roald Dahl was the best writer for children
    And still is, for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Lads had to put in work to get a shag, now it's all apps and sliding from left to right it seems.

If the young lads at work are to be believed, girls are also much more open to certain types of sex than in my day would have been taboo (anal and oral etc).

Lucky bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Lads had to put in work to get a shag, now it's all apps and sliding from left to right it seems.

If the young lads at work are to be believed, girls are also much more open to certain types of sex than in my day would have been taboo (anal and oral etc).

Lucky bastards!

Young people getting less sex than before, more partners but before a fella might get married in his early 20s and be shagging the whole way into the grave. Now most would get married much later and have prolonged dry spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I wonder what our parents would think of the way things are today, measles was considered to be just another childhood inconvenience, as was chickenpox and mumps. It was just handy for us all to get them together and, although I'm sure it must have happened, I can never remember anybody having a lasting reaction.
    Then again, we ate food from shops and butchers whose idea of disease control was a flypaper and a bucket of soapy water over the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Brennans Batch loaf with the black crust before it became un-PC

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Culchie immigrants planting a field of potatoes in their new suburban semi-D Dublin garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Curly Wurleys were nearly 2ft long

The Last Picture Show on a Friday night; classic and cult movies introduced by Brian Reddin

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Cars swerving on the road in front of you, and everyone in your car behind going, 'Haha, he must have had a good ten pints in him'.

Crazy

In the old days of travelling by air, passengers dressed up smartly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In my day people were far kinder to each other..

Sorry; I sit here weeping after yet another personal attack and need to sign off boards as I dread coming here now.. Just atop of all else and my worsening\ health is all too much. Longing for peace ..

Need to close down. Sorry .. be happy and be KIND. As I know so many are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Graces7 wrote: »

Sorry; I sit here weeping after yet another personal attack and need to sign off boards as I dread coming here now.. Just atop of all else and my worsening\ health is all too much. Longing for peace ..

Back when people had faces and names and nowhere to hide. Internet isn't the best of places to be fair, report what's said, there's sometimes a mod floating about.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Back when people had faces and names and nowhere to hide. Internet isn't the best of places to be fair, report what's said, there's sometimes a mod floating about.
    The anonymous nature of it can really bring out some people's inner dickhead.
    Keep the chin up Graces7.

Emmerdale Farm (before it was changed to Emmerdale) was on on afternoons on RTE 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote:

Look after yourself grace, people are arseholes

Graces7 wrote: »

Don't take it to heart, people like this are bullies, pure and simple. When they don't have the wit to combat rational argument they resort to personal attack.
    Stay safe.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Don't take it to heart, people like this are bullies, pure and simple. When they don't have the wit to combat rational argument they resort to personal attack.
    Stay safe.

Do you buy all that? It’s been the same story for ages here always finished up with a really vague goodbye.

Do you buy all that? It’s been the same story for ages here always finished up with a really vague goodbye.

First time I've seen at and as such I'm prepared to take it at face value.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    First time I've seen at and as such I'm prepared to take it at face value.

Fair enough, I’d go along with that.
    I’m not saying it’s all made up anyway, I’d have no idea for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

in my day you could say you loved your country and your culture without being called a racist !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

in my day the only POC's in ireland were doing hydrology in NUIG in order to go home and get the water running for their own tribes.......in Africa

Kids TV used to be 1 hour of programmes every week day. Now they have numerous channels just for the snappers!

Thelma Mansfield was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Chocolate mice.

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Smoking upstairs on the buses. Smoking in the cinema.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Smoking upstairs on the buses. Smoking in the cinema.

Smoking carriage on the train. You’d have been walked on by a group of old biddies in Connolly if you even attempted to get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

A paper bag full of broken cookies, crusts and other leftovers from the local bakery for a few coins.

The dream of a sweet tooth school boy.:D

No wheel clampers, thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The static on TV before the test card came on, and broadcasting started for the day
    Was great when TVs started having a bit of circuitry so the white noise was not also played on the speakers..

The Magic Door / An Doras Draíochta

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The static on TV before the test card came on, and broadcasting started for the day

You're probably aware of this but for those that aren't, part of that static you were seeing or hearing was due to the background radiation from the Big Bang that's within the TV receiver's tuning range. That really was from back in the day, day 0, ~13.8 billion years ago.
    It's still there in every single terrestrial and satellite TV receiver; it just doesn't manifest itself as static on your TV screen or from the speakers anymore.

Yeah, I read that someplace.

Vita nova wrote: »
    You're probably aware of this but for those that aren't, part of that static you were seeing or hearing was due to the background radiation from the Big Bang that's within the TV receiver's tuning range. That really was from back in the day, day 0, ~13.8 billion years ago.
    It's still there in every single terrestrial and satellite TV receiver; it just doesn't manifest itself as static on your TV screen or from the speakers anymore.
    These days, it's more likely to be from the gazillions of electronic gadgets that spew out unwanted RFI.

• Advertisement

The Angelus had religious pictures instead of films of people going about their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

No annoying Hipsters!

vriesmays wrote: »
    ... whose ancestors were cannibals in the 3rd world...

Wow ...

No annoying Hipsters!

You sure ?

d94d6fd55b302a79b80d136f331b0404.jpg1-jane-fonda-with-shag-in-early-70s-klute-everett.jpgoliver-reed.jpgmac1-944540.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There was nothing annoying about stevie nicks back in the day

There was nothing annoying about stevie nicks back in the day

Or Jane Fonda, I was too embarrassed to stand up after watching Barbarella in the local cinema. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You sure ?

d94d6fd55b302a79b80d136f331b0404.jpg1-jane-fonda-with-shag-in-early-70s-klute-everett.jpgoliver-reed.jpgmac1-944540.jpg

Is that....mick jagger. Le shock.

No wheel clampers, thankfully
    You had to pay the lock hard man instead of pay-parking :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Thelma Mansfield was lovely.

Was it Monday they used to have the pensioners' day on Live at Three? You'd come home from school and there would be Sony Knowles or Anne O'Dwyer crooning away to a crowd of aul' wans :mad:

Advertisement