Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Whenever there was any bit of gound dug up around the estate we would have muckball wars. Hitting the ground near an opponent and having the muckball explode grenade-like and showering him with muck "shrapnel" was considered preferable to a direct hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Playing Spin the Bottle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Blockbusters after school.
    My sister got the board game one year for Christmas.
    Going for Gold was another classic.

Anyone remember the game show where they answered questions to play a higher/lower card game? The cards were like 2ft tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

iamstop wrote: »
    Blockbusters after school.
    My sister got the board game one year for Christmas.
    Going for Gold was another classic.

Anyone remember the game show where they answered questions to play a higher/lower card game? The cards were like 2ft tall.

Play Your Cards Right

rexfeatures_334441o.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Nice to see you!
    To see you nice!

00569F7C00000258-0-image-a-82_1503072459617.jpg

When you went to a nightclub you got a voucher at the door for a meal, usually some supernaturally delicious chips and cocktail sausages or something along those lines. Hit the spot nicely at 1:00 am or so after a feed of pints!

Wasn't that the workaround to get a late license? It had to be classified as a "restaurant" so usually the fare was like you said sausages and chips or curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nice to see you!
    To see you nice!

00569F7C00000258-0-image-a-82_1503072459617.jpg

Good game! Good game!

Baywatch for the bikini babes

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Wasn't that the workaround to get a late license? It had to be classified as a "restaurant" so usually the fare was like you said sausages and chips or curry.

That's exactly what it's was, I remember zeniths in Howth you used to get roast chicken potatoes peas and gravy bleedin gorgeous, Tamangoes used to give you whatever the wedding had that day. Great stuff after a heap of pints

Everything was repaired, not casually replaced or thrown away. If your bike got a puncture it was repaired. My dad used to do it until he demonstrated to me the technique. Wheel was taken off, tyre was worked off and inner tube taken out. I remember staring at the inner tube. It had more patches than a tramp's trousers. Some rectangular, some oval, some round, some overlapping each other. I filled the kitchen basin for the puncture location test. He pumped the tube and we both fed it around under water until the bubbles appeared. Then the offending area was dried, sandpapered, glued and patched. Another test to ensure a good seal..then the annoying task of prising the tyre back on with a table spoon handle. Wheel pumped back up, reattached and you were King of the Road again.

Shoes were taken to Mister Minit when the heels were worn down. Socks were darned, trousers knees were patched. My Granny was a whiz at this. She'd patch them on the inside and shape the worn out area into an even shape. Looked good. If the zipper was fcuked and new one was put in.

You didn't bin burnt toast you scraped it with a knife and slathered on extra butter to disguise the bitter charcoal taste...was grand.

Tea was in a pot with loose teal leaves which were reused for the second pot.....it just had to "draw" a little longer or you add half a fresh teaspoon.

On Saturday night I was sometimes allowed to stay up late when the old lad came in from the pub on the proviso that I made him tea and sandwiches.

There was always a "tough" girl in the neighbourhood a few years older...maybe 12 or 13 who wore jeans, a wrangler jacket and Docs or monkey boots, long greasy hair and a chipped tooth. She would swagger by and say something derogatory to you and you'd go crimson because she was the woman of your dreams. :D

• Advertisement

Don't forget to flake chalk on the new patch to make the glue excess not sticky. You don't want the tube getting stuck to the inside of the tire now do you!

Scrapping toast! Now there's a memory.

We used to sprinkle sugar on toast after the butter. Yuck now. Yummy back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

We used to make toast on a toasting fork in front of the open fire, often times it would catch fire and we'd scrape them with a knife. We only toasted on one side and then cut them as though we were making soldiers but we wouldn't cut all the way trough the crust. Then we'd smother them in butter which would seep into the cuts. Delicious, I still prefer my toast a little burnt to this day.
    I remember going down to Custom House Quay to watch the Guinness boats loading and unloading, we'd sit on the parapet at Butt Bridge to see the barges coming down from Victoria Quay with the barrels to load. They used to lower the funnels so they could pass under the bridge and the smoke would be everywhere. They'd leave the barrels at either Custom House or City Quay and pick up the empties. It was funny sometimes because there was often a crowd of dipsos who came to drink the dregs of the casks coming in from England and there'd be a row between them and the barge crew trying to pick them up. Sometimes, if we were lucky, the crew of whichever "Lady" was docking would have exotic sweets like Mars bars or Opal Fruits which weren't available in Ireland at the time and they'd share them out among us.
    Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There used to be some excellent shows on on a Saturday
    The A-Team
    The Incredible Hulk
    Airwolf
    Streethawk

Knightrider

There used to be some excellent shows on on a Saturday
    The A-Team
    The Incredible Hulk
    Airwolf
    Streethawk

Knightrider

And in later years on a Saturday night, Gladiators,Bad Boys and First Dates and then head into town for a night out. I used to love Dont forget your Toothbrush also and Streetmate with Davinia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Phones had a dial which you had to swivel your finger around in. You could spend hours in the evening mimicking at your siblings to " get off the phucking thing" while pointing at your wrist if you were waiting for a call from a bird or waiting to ring her. Total arguments carried out like a game of charades.

And in later years on a Saturday night, Gladiators,Bad Boys and First Dates and then head into town for a night out. I used to love Dont forget your Toothbrush also and Streetmate with Davinia.
    And TGI Friday too. Remember when Chris Evans was a major star? Going out with Billy Piper on the lash all the time.

I used to love watching The Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaugh and Kelly Brook before school. I forget the name of the blonde girl before Kelly Brook. Also hot.

The pun down was class.

I used to love watching The Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaugh and Kelly Brook before school. I forget the name of the blonde girl before Kelly Brook. Also hot.

The pun down was class.
    Gaby Roslin? She did it with Chris Evans.

GabyRoslin2--a.jpg

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Phones had a dial which you had to swivel your finger around in. You could spend hours in the evening mimicking at your siblings to " get off the phucking thing" while pointing at your wrist if you were waiting for a call from a bird or waiting to ring her. Total arguments carried out like a game of charades.

How many on here can't use one?

• Advertisement

Gaby Roslin? She did it with Chris Evans.

No, I was thinking of Denis Van Outen

denise-van-outen-tv-presenter-june-1998-presenter-of-the-big-breakfast-B3NF50.jpg

How many on here can't use one?

We didn't have a phone at home, that was for the rich people, we used the kiosk around the corner, My sister went away to England to train as a nurse and she used to write a letter and say she would ring on a certain day at a certain time, My brothers and I would be sent around 15 mins before to occupy the phone box until the Ma came around, we formed a queue outside and went in one at a time so that none of the other people waiting could complain at any one of us staying too long.
    Certain phones you could "tap", you could tap out the phone number in sequence on the cradle and it rang the number, worked most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Gaby Roslin? She did it with Chris Evans

Reminds me of gabby logan. She did it with alan shearer

Marhay70 wrote: »
    We didn't have a phone at home, that was for the rich people, we used the kiosk around the corner, My sister went away to England to train as a nurse and she used to write a letter and say she would ring on a certain day at a certain time, My brothers and I would be sent around 15 mins before to occupy the phone box until the Ma came around, we formed a queue outside and went in one at a time so that none of the other people waiting could complain at any one of us staying too long.
    Certain phones you could "tap", you could tap out the phone number in sequence on the cradle and it rang the number, worked most of the time.

We used to go into the phone boxes and press the refund button hoping someone forgot to take their change.

We used to go into the phone boxes and press the refund button hoping someone forgot to take their change.

Some unscrupulous people, nobody I knew personally of course :rolleyes:, would stuff paper in the return slot so that if anyone pressed the refund button the money would get stuck. All that was needed then was to go in and remove the paper and the cash would come out. This went on for years yet very few people copped on. Those that did were probably those who used the trick themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

When I was a child in postwar London, the grownups were very courteous. They looked as neat and clean as they could when out and about, and gloves were just about universal. They were very courteous and patient, going to great lengths to avoid jostling one another, and all having a hankie ready to whip out in time to shield others from a cough or sneeze.

Those were the......oh, wait a minute......

• Advertisement

Fogmatic wrote: »
    When I was a child in postwar London, the grownups were very courteous. They looked as neat and clean as they could when out and about, and gloves were just about universal. They were very courteous and patient, going to great lengths to avoid jostling one another, and all having a hankie ready to whip out in time to shield others from a cough or sneeze.

Those were the......oh, wait a minute......
    ....and then you woke up! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone remember this classic?
    p8814359_b_v8_aa.jpg

Sister Stevie was a hot nun

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Sunday dinner was at 3pm on the dot....

....and then you woke up! :pac:

Well, from what I've read about some of my fellow Oldies not taking the current advice seriously, anything that might help is to be encouraged (including nostalgia!).

• Advertisement

I used to get the Dandy comic every Friday when I was a boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

MS DOS. :D

5¼" floppies. :pac::pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »

Still find it handy sometimes (the MsDos, that is!).
    My postwar make-do-and-mend upbringing comes into play as well. I find 5 1/2 " floppy cases with 1 side cut open and floppy removed work quite well as re-usable pockets on notepads (and their cryptic labels like 'DBase III copy' can sometimes start interesting conversations)!

branie2 wrote: »
    I used to get the Dandy comic every Friday when I was a boy

Beano for me, 3d a copy. Still get the annuals for the grandkids at Christmas and laugh my head of at The Bash Street Kids and Dennis. My sister used to send me all sorts of comics which were to be thrown out from the hospital where she worked, Dandy, Beezer, Topper, Wizard, Dell Comics with Superman, Marvel Man and Plastic Man, Sixty-fourers featuring the likes of Kit Carson and Buffalo Bill, War comics with pictures of terrified German soldiers shouting Achtung or Gott in Himmel as they fled in the face of the all conquering Brits and Yanks. I can't remember there ever having been a time when the Germans won, which is just as well as they were always ugly, cruel buggers. :)
    I would read them several times and then put a bundle under my arm and do a tour of the neighbourhood kids looking for "swops"

Beano for me, 3d a copy. Still get the annuals for the grandkids at Christmas and laugh my head of at The Bash Street Kids and Dennis. My sister used to send me all sorts of comics which were to be thrown out from the hospital where she worked, Dandy, Beezer, Topper, Wizard, Dell Comics with Superman, Marvel Man and Plastic Man, Sixty-fourers featuring the likes of Kit Carson and Buffalo Bill, War comics with pictures of terrified German soldiers shouting Achtung or Gott in Himmel as they fled in the face of the all conquering Brits and Yanks. I can't remember there ever having been a time when the Germans won, which is just as well as they were always ugly, cruel buggers. :)
    I would read them several times and then put a bundle under my arm and do a tour of the neighbourhood kids looking for "swops"

There was a comic called Action too. It was fcuking terrifying in its violence and was actually banned for a while. It had Hellman Of The Hammer Force, a panzer commander, Hook Jaw, Spin Ball if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I remember Hookjaw, some guy went in to the sea in a cage thinking he was safe from Hookjaw but baby sharks ate him alive. Snowflakes would get that comic banned now.

There was a comic called Action too. It was fcuking terrifying in its violence and was actually banned for a while. It had Hellman Of The Hammer Force, a panzer commander, Hook Jaw, Spin Ball if I remember correctly.

Must have been after my time, I remember comics like the Victor and the Hotspur which dealt a lot with war stories but they weren't really violent by today's standards. Violence is subjective of course and some snowflakes would probably swoon at the sight of Dennis' Dad administering summary justice with his slipper. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

One picture doing the rounds not that long ago was the 3.5" floppy with the tagline "daddy 3D-printed the save icon"

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

As children we learned that there were 9 planets in our Solar System, namely Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, however, Pluto lost its planet status in 2006, so now there are only 8 known planets in the Solar System.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

From 8" to 5.25" to 3.5" floppies and now people have tiny dongles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What about duffle coats......everyone had one back in the day!
    And they soaked up rain.

Primary school. All the radiators covered in them. Heading home they were lovely and warm. For five minutes.

Then they got very very cold because they were still saturated :mad:

Then they were replaced with the snorkel coats that were even less waterproof.

And kids got head colds as a result, I imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Anyone remember Alf Tupper ? His leg sometimes gave him gyp !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Showed my 25 year old son images of a Boxer bike the other day as it was the daddy of the BMX i think.
    He couldn't believe it, but was really blown away when I showed him the Chopper, first question out of his mouth was "whats the lever in the middle for?" Told him, he loved the fact it had a long seat for two people.

Still get the annuals for the grandkids at Christmas and laugh my head of at The Bash Street Kids and Dennis.

Used to love the annuals! Later on there would be more and more colour pages. Puzzles and stuff too. Great fun before video games and only one TV in the gaff. If the folk were watching something you had two choices, watch it too or feck off and do something else. Lol.

Great old sci-fi shows like
    Original Star Trek
    Lost in Space
    Fantastic Voyage
    Planet of the Apes
    Land of the Giants
    Blekes 7
    UFO
    V
    Sapphire and Steel

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Anyone remember Alf Tupper ? His leg sometimes gave him gyp !

He was in the Victor comic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

branie2 wrote: »
    He was in the Victor comic
    Correct, Tough of the track ! Take a bow sir !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Young Sid the Coppers kid. Can't remember which comic it was possibly The Beezer.

One of the lads in school was nicknamed Sid because the father was a Garda.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Young Sid the Coppers kid. Can't remember which comic it was possibly The Beezer.

One of the lads in school was nicknamed Sid because the father was a Garda.

Yes, it was the Beezer.

Advertisement