Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Can you still get google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Buying fags one at a time from the local small shop.
    Not forgetting a six penny wafer. A slice of ice cream between two wafers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Female teachers were terrifying old battleaxes/nuns for the most part.
    Teachers now are all much younger and much more attractive. If I was in school now I would never be able to concentrate, or stand up :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Edgware wrote: »
    There were local Dublin lads from Sheriff St/North Wall who got part time jobs as
    1. "Hooshters" i.e. they used hoosh the cattle on to the ships
    2. "Breasters" The dockers wouldnt allow any lorry on to the docks unless there was a drivers mate on the lorry so the "breasters" would wait at the entrance to the port and the lorry drivers would pick them up, pay them five or ten pounds, to be in the cab of the lorryas they entered the port to pick up or unload cargo.

Another pick up point was Annesley Bridge, my brother used to get casual work as a breaster. He worked as a helper on the Esso tankers which operated out of Alexandra Basin and usually they were laid off at age 18 as they would have had to pay them more but he got to know a lot of the inside tricks of the docks. I'd be very surprised if they were paid £10 though, my father only earned slightly more than that for a week and he was a top tradesman.
    I used to go down regularly to the notorious "Stack R" to pick up special orders arriving from the UK for my boss and the extortion that was in evidence from the dockers had to be seen to be believed. I was always given money to pay off the guy who brought out our goods, if you didn't give them a few bob your company name was put on a blacklist and you might have to wait all day or even come back a second day so it was cheaper to pay them off. One definite no-no was to be seen talking, however innocently, to the Harbour Police, that could get you blackballed for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Female teachers were terrifying old battleaxes/nuns for the most part.
    Teachers now are all much younger and much more attractive. If I was in school now I would never be able to concentrate, or stand up :o

Not all nuns, though

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Virgin on Aston Quay looking at condoms and laughing as a child.

HMV, where I bought the most of my Blu-rays and DVDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Another pick up point was Annesley Bridge, my brother used to get casual work as a breaster. He worked as a helper on the Esso tankers which operated out of Alexandra Basin and usually they were laid off at age 18 as they would have had to pay them more but he got to know a lot of the inside tricks of the docks. I'd be very surprised if they were paid £10 though, my father only earned slightly more than that for a week and he was a top tradesman.
    I used to go down regularly to the notorious "Stack R" to pick up special orders arriving from the UK for my boss and the extortion that was in evidence from the dockers had to be seen to be believed. I was always given money to pay off the guy who brought out our goods, if you didn't give them a few bob your company name was put on a blacklist and you might have to wait all day or even come back a second day so it was cheaper to pay them off. One definite no-no was to be seen talking, however innocently, to the Harbour Police, that could get you blackballed for life.

The only way to get a container of badly needed building materials etc was to "sort" the foreman who would then get the crane driver to hoist the container out.

One of the unions had control of the slot machines on the ferries. When the English 50 p and the Irish 50p were the same size whoever was emptying the machines swopped English 50 p coins for Irish one and making 10% on the transaction in the bank.
    The tricks going on down the docks were legendary.
    One lad was known as a diesel fitter
    "Thes'ill fit Mary thes'ill fit Tommy"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

We went the pub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Manc_Red wrote: »
    We went the pub

6 tins o' Scrumpy Jack for a 5er and a bag of Manhattan popcorn down in Kenilworth before stumbling over to Bective disco to enjoy the music selection and try to get your hole.
    Rinse and repeat next week.

The Lone Ranger cartoon on during the week at teatime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

branie2 wrote: »
    The Lone Ranger, Champion the Wonder Horse, Zorro and Flash Gordon on TV in the morning during Summer holidays.

We used to watch the live version on BBC, the only TV station at that time.We had a 17" black and white Bush Tv from Drages store on Grafton Street, paid for on the drip over three years. The final price was £202, a small fortune. The Da had also rigged up a short wave aerial that looked for all the world like a sweeps's brush, which meant we could tune into AFN, the U.S. Forces Radio network. This allowed us to listen to the original radio series plus Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy and Dragnet and the great comedy shows featuring Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante etc. The Yanks really had radio variety off to a tee, it was like you were there.
    It always seemed to be Winter, maybe because they had a season or maybe just foggy memories but I recall sitting around the fire with my brothers, totally absorbed in the goodies ridding the world of the baddies, how times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Edgware wrote: »
    The only way to get a container of badly needed building materials etc was to "sort" the foreman who would then get the crane driver to hoist the container out.

One of the unions had control of the slot machines on the ferries. When the English 50 p and the Irish 50p were the same size whoever was emptying the machines swopped English 50 p coins for Irish one and making 10% on the transaction in the bank.
    The tricks going on down the docks were legendary.
    One lad was known as a diesel fitter
    "Thes'ill fit Mary thes'ill fit Tommy"

My father-in-law is a retired docker and the tricks were still going well into the 90's if not beyond. The speakeasy they had going in one of the containers was only shut after one of the lads drove a tug off the dock. Despite being drunk on the job and destroying an extremely expensive piece of kit he wasn't fired: the union wouldn't have it! The stuff they got up to down there made the lads in the second season of The Wire look like rank amateurs!

Ha'penny sweets.

They were mingin' as far as I recall. lol

• Advertisement

The Wuzzles

The Care Bears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Supergran

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Banana man

• Advertisement

Danger Bay

Captain Planet and the Planeteers. The power is yours!

You got your haircut at home by ma. You only got to go to the barbers for your confirmation.

You got your haircut at home by ma. You only got to go to the barbers for your confirmation.

Yup. Then in 2nd year I got my brother to cut it. He gave me a blade 1 all over. I got suspended for a week.

Hand me downs. I have two older brothers so I always got the dregs. Add to that two older male cousins and you can imagine I rarely went clothes shopping. Maybe that's why I never really liked clothes shopping :confused:

Good Afternoon with Thelma Mansfield

I remember when the frozen Goodfellas pizzas came out. Game changer! Prior to that you had the pizza delis at the supermarkets or regular crust frozen pizzas but Goodfellas stepped it up a few notches.

Some time back in the 80s, Don Conroy presented a TV series on the life of Jesus, with his own drawings

Good Afternoon with Thelma Mansfield
    Please, this is not the place to brag about your sex-life :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Skipping off down the road to neighbours house to watch 1966 World Cup.
    Black and white t.v.
    Pele, Beckenbaur, Eusabio.

• Advertisement

We only had our birthday parties at home, not at play centres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

iamstop wrote: »
    I remember when the frozen Goodfellas pizzas came out. Game changer! Prior to that you had the pizza delis at the supermarkets or regular crust frozen pizzas but Goodfellas stepped it up a few notches.

And the Cheese Supreme, not being cheese apposed a substance close to molten lava.

The amount of times those pizzas burnt my mouth is just not worth remembering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

iamstop wrote: »

I used to love those pizzas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I used to love those pizzas :D

Used to get the San Marco pizza slices there was good tang off the sauce.

Would they still taste the same....

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Would they still taste the same....
    Probably, but your tastebuds will have changed since then.

They were delicious!

Cornetto ads set in Venice

Open the door
    Throw down the keys!

90s and 00s fashions

Xworx, Petro Motion and Eclipse Jeans
    Naff Naff jackets
    Umbro jumpers
    Blue Nike air Max
    Tear off tracksuit trousers
    Lads with undercuts and curtain fringes
    Rattails
    Shaved heads and a really long fringe slicked back.
    The bang o Brylcreem. The red one.
    Tommy Hilfiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Back in my day we shook hands . Went to bars where you would try to get very close to women.

• Advertisement

Budget Travel Brochures with the bikini ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

We didn't have a indoor toilet until the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

And rolls of toilet paper had not yet made an appearance for most of the population either !!! And they could be very draughty places too, especially in winter...not the place to overstay your time !!! :eek:

jmreire wrote: »
    And rolls of toilet paper had not yet made an appearance for most of the population either !!! And they could be very draughty places too, especially in winter...not the place to overstay your time !!! :eek:

Yep, the only reason you'd bring a newspaper to the jacks was to wipe your ar*e

The biggest spiders going always lived in there too.

In the schools it used to be shiny, urgh!
    You used to be able to use it as tracing paper.

• Advertisement

In the schools it used to be shiny, urgh!
    You used to be able to use it as tracing paper.
    John Wayne toilet paper.

Was it in avocado when you got thr inside bathroom? Very big in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Was it in avocado when you got thr inside bathroom? Very big in the 80's.

Who didn't have an avacado bathroom :D

Wallpaper in every. Single. Room.
    On. Every. Single. Wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Who didn't have an avacado bathroom :D

Every bungalow had a lavender room, the entire house got a migrane every time the door to that room was opened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement