Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back in my day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Lyons Tea Minstrels .... it wouldn't happen today.
    You cut out the minstrel coupons from the box of tae and saved them up to maybe win a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

we didn't know what hand sanetizer was...

Yeah, but we weren't flying off to the four corners of the planet to pick up exotic diseases either and grew most of our own food here at home. The furthest most people flew was to London and then only if you were rich. Most of us shared a rickety ferry with a few hundred cattle from the North Wall to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Gummi Bears. Bouncing here and there and everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Back in my day I'd jump a 5 bar gate without leaving a hand on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

branie2 wrote: »
    Gummi Bears. Bouncing here and there and everywhere

You called :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you wanted to go and grab a few bits of shopping for Monday's breakfast etc, forget it! the shops were all closed on a Sunday.

If you wanted to go and grab a few bits of shopping for Monday's breakfast etc, forget it! the shops were all closed on a Sunday.

They were open for a little while for the Sunday papers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lots and lots of bikes. The invincible High Nelly.

the arrival of Ryanair in the 80s

Pajo's Junkbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

anewme wrote: »
    And we all walked from west Dublin to see the Pope in the Pheno.

Multitudes of new born baby boys were called John Paul the following year.
    A cousin of mine took ill in the park , stopped breathing
    in the ambulance and was revived by paramedics, hes been known as Lazarus ever since .
    His mother was convinced it was a miracle.

I was born the year of the Pope's visit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Which one?

Lucky to just miss out on being one of those weird 80’s babies.

The Incredible Hulk - Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

Have you John Paul in your name? (if male) There are lots of J.Ps around here born in 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Finding plain-looking Irish women attractive.

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    Have you John Paul in your name? (if male) There are lots of J.Ps around here born in 1979

No, as I was born in May, before the Pope came that September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No, as I was born in May, before the Pope came that September

Brian was a popular name, I'd 3 in my class, 1 JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Anybody remember the name of a kind of tea you would be given every so often to '' clean ya out '' . You wouldn't want to stray to far from the toilet after taking it . Jaysus it was rough stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Green Shield Stamps and sending them off to get stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Anybody remember the name of a kind of tea you would be given every so often to '' clean ya out '' . You wouldn't want to stray to far from the toilet after taking it . Jaysus it was rough stuff

Don't know about yours but in my case it was Castor Oil. Your arse would explode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Senna pods in hot water ? As a treat after it we got fried bread for breakfast !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Senna pods in hot water ? As a treat after it we got fried bread for breakfast !
    that sounds familiar but listen to you with your fried bread :)

• Advertisement

Drop of water, tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a teaspoon of baking soda. I never head it called a tea but you’d ****e through the eye of a needle within ten minutes.

Also, fried bread was the greatest thing ever. Few slices of brown bread or flour bread fried and a couple of fried eggs and you never missed a sausage or a rashers or anything.

Drop of water, tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a teaspoon of baking soda. I never head it called a tea but you’d ****e through the eye of a needle within ten minutes.
    only vinegar we had was ''sarson malt '' vineger .
    One person on about fried bread and you with you ''apple cider vinegar'' . I was really deprived as a child:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

back in my day... people knew what the fúck they were about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Jacobs goldgrain.

They are still around & common as muck.

• Advertisement

Marietta biscuits.

Still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fry’s cocoa in a yellow cardboard box .

There was never any traffic on the roads on a sunday after midday mass, if you saw a car you thought thats weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Half day on a Wednesday. My home town the shops would close for a half day on a Wednesday as they opened for a half day on a Saturday. Can't remember when it ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Esho wrote: »
    Space Invaders in the chipper

Chippers that doubled up as video stores.

Back in my day, you saved 50p a week by buying a Cyril Squirrel stamp for your little acorns savings book - apparently this is still a thing, but they are now a euro.

o_1biojobva26frgu1i6i19vq15lsk.jpg

Also, eating your weight in kinder chocolate to try and collect all 10 tiny terrapins - a set now sells on ebay for 20quid

e9210b69-80d6-4bd3-8177-221ffce898b9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

It was a "strawberry" flavored drink that we got, advised to by the school for worms,plague, distemper etc was early to mid 80's. It was a pleasant pink color smelled a lot like other strawberry based products available at that time... but holy lantern jaysus it tasted so so so bad. we had to drink two glasses of it. Was the vilest thing i have ever drank and include mistaking my drink for a pint of piss outside Bruxelles when it was kicking out time. And me poor hole was like a blood orange after it. They Lied !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Going into a travel agent to book a Ryanair flight and getting one of these tickets.

505056.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Working week was 5 1/2 days... half day off Wednesday, and all day Sunday. Pint of plain 2 shillings. 10 fags, 2 minerals and 2 seats in the back row of the local cinema, 10 Shillings. ( when there was 240 pennies in the Pound )
    And at the intermission, there were news clips from Pathe News... I remember them showing the British Army capturing the dreadful murderous Kenyan Terrorists, the Mau Mau...and showing large barbed wire camps full of "Terrorists"

Back in my day, the Internet was in black and white. We used to get dressed up in our Sunday best.

https://youtu.be/eqmjWCk36C8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

retalivity wrote: »
    Chippers that doubled up as video stores.

I knew a video store in a rural County town that doubled up as a knocking shop.

• Advertisement

I had a Commodore 64 when I was a kid

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

riclad wrote: »
    When vcrs were popular most people never worked out out to use the timer,
    they would just press record just before the program started .
    A vcr would be the most valuable item in the house.

Some video players/recorders (Only yanks used to call them VCRs, lol) had a system where you just had to type is a 5 or 6 digit number and it would record them. Just googled, it was called VideoPlus+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_recorder_scheduling_code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

iamstop wrote: »
    Some video players/recorders (Only yanks used to call them VCRs, lol) had a system where you just had to type is a 5 or 6 digit number and it would record them. Just googled, it was called VideoPlus+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_recorder_scheduling_code

Thats very advanced. I remember the video plus numbers used to be printed in the telly page in the paper.

Our first video came with an infrared pen type thing, you scanned a plastic card of barcodes for date time etc then when the display on the pen type thing was full with a recording time, you turned it around and hit a transmit button and the video player would receive it via the IR and save the recording. Seemed very slick at the time but took an age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

My memories of that area were Swatch Watches, having a huge coiffed hair style and endless Simpson’s episodes that were actually good.

That and being in the Gaeltacht where we are only allowed to shower once a week, there was no hot water to wash the dishes or we were banned from any access to the washing machine. I ended up having to wash myself in the sea!

Also the Ban an Ti would cook her own family a lovely meal and give us bread, spaghetti with what looked and tasted like mince and ketchup! I was basically surviving on junk food from the local shop.

It was so bad I got myself thrown out lol

I had two much better experiences at the Gaeltacht. Our Ban an Ti made her own bread, it was lovely.
    We were only allowed wash two pair of jeans in any wash at a time. She said they would be too heavy an unbalance the machine when they were wet. Not a big deal.
    I just remember it being one of the first long periods of being away from the family and having that sense of freedom. I had a great time. Then we all signed each others books and let phone numbers etc.
    The 1 month reunion is Stephen's Green. Gas altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Playing 40-40 and debating the merits of it over traditional hide and seek.

"Wembo" or "Wembley" games of footie.

I used to watch the Houndcats and the Barkleys a lot on video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Back in my day we used to shake hands with other people when we met them.
    We used to go to large gatherings without a face mask
    And we didn't worry about running out of loo roll as we could have wiped it with a dalken (dock) leaf.
    Ah the good ol'days

Canned Carrot Commercial Breakdown.
    Would have the whole family in stitches. Jasper Carrot and Billy Connolly were house favs in our household in the 80s.

• Advertisement

Ladybird's Children's Classics - a great way to introduce kids to classic literature.

Advertisement