Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day Parade Poll

Options
  • 05-03-2020 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Should it go ahead, given the risk of mass transmission of infection and potential loss of life due to coronavirus? The benefit is apparently €2bn in tourism revenue.

I think I might have accidentally hidden the result by accident.

Should the parades take place? 275 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    19%
    runawaybishopbeansbikoArmaniJeanssKablamo!F1fanclickheredixieflymailrewopvickers209munchkin_utdsydthebeathumberklog[Deleted User]derossiThunbergsAreGopadd b1975stoneilleviltwinAtlantic Dawn 54 votes
    We'll see
    80%
    _Kaiser_Turnerbatman_ohDavexirlmicks_addressmike2084sunbeamAlunPherekydesmatrimmoby2101Pacificogivethjam_mac_jam10000maniacsjoe316StupidLikeAFoxMarcos[Deleted User]Mickeroo 221 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

We'll see
    Should it go ahead, given the risk of mass transmission of infection and potential loss of life due to coronavirus? The benefit is apparently €2bn in tourism revenue.

I think I might have accidentally hidden the result by accident.

Indeed you did. Be nice if others could see the poll results and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

We'll see
    Don't care if they have a parade we've already decided to stay home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

We'll see
    504649.png

We'll see
    504650.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We'll see
    I voted and I voted no, they should not take place. I know it's early days in March, and the numbers for Ireland for diagnosed Corona is low, there is still a risk of the numbers growing, especially seeing other countries numbers climbing every day.

Also it doesn't seem right if we have a day of celebrations with this health crisis unfolding all around Europe and worldwide too.

• Advertisement

We'll see
    504652.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No
    Why the hidden poll ?

No
    The coronavirus will be over and forgot about in 6 months. It seems more like a handy news story for the media to replace some of the pages brexit filled up, temporarily.

Shouldn't be affecting events that much.

We'll see
    mikeecho wrote: »
    Why the hidden poll ?
    By mistake.

Hopefully mods can change it in the morning.

504653.png
    The coronavirus will be over and forgot about in 6 months. It seems more like a handy news story for the media to replace some of the pages brexit filled up, temporarily.

Shouldn't be affecting events that much.

Wasn't that the strategy they used with Foot and Mouth? I'm sure we'll be fine.

We'll see
    504658.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

^over 80 votes, but only five people replied to the thread? I vote "we'll see" because shur, it'll probably be grand...
    I might have accidentally hidden the result by accident.

are we in china now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We'll see
    i voted no, mainly because i'm a miserable bastard and think everything should be cancelled.....forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

We'll see
    Cancel the thing. Even the tiniest risk of anyone else getting this isn't worth it for the sake of a fucking parade. Admittedly I despise parades but even if it was something I liked I'd say the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We'll see
    The people will vote with their feet. Parades are typically attended by families with younger children. Most parents won’t be interested in putting their kids in areas of mass gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We'll see
    I've never had an attention span sufficient to watch a parade from end to end. Mind numbingly boring entertainments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

We'll see
    Cancel the parades and use the opportunity to move them to 12th July :) (or any less miserable time of the year... March is a lousy rainy month for marching... we deserve better than this for our national holiday)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,578 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maybe this could be the straw that finally kicked us to move Paddy’s Day to June or July.

Do it this year and if by some chance we are lucky and get a good weekend in June, the long term benefits will be huge. So many more folks would come here for a summer Paddy’s Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

We'll see
    Years ago the Carlow parade (a shitty thing with a few tractors and a couple of floats) went past my house. My father ran outside and then ran back into the house saying "look what I got". A pillow had fallen off the back of one of the floats and he had picked it up. He thought all his Christmases and birthdays had come at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Maybe this could be the straw that finally kicked us to move Paddy’s Day to June or July.

Do it this year and if by some chance we are lucky and get a good weekend in June, the long term benefits will be huge. So many more folks would come here for a summer Paddy’s Day.

Move it to the 12th of July 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 15,578 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Planning ahead for the United Ireland we’ll have soon.

I like that.

• Advertisement

We'll see

Joint AOH OO gig?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

We'll see

The Orange Virus hits on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

We'll see
    minikin wrote: »
    Cancel the parades and use the opportunity to move them to 12th July :) (or any less miserable time of the year... March is a lousy rainy month for marching... we deserve better than this for our national holiday)

Move them to the 12th and send them marching north, where they will meet an orange parade marching south. Once the smoke clears and the battle is over, we shall know which tayto is best.

The ironic twist is that I'll stay at home eating hunky dorys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

No
    Years ago the Carlow parade (a shitty thing with a few tractors and a couple of floats) went past my house. My father ran outside and then ran back into the house saying "look what I got". A pillow had fallen off the back of one of the floats and he had picked it up. He thought all his Christmases and birthdays had come at once.

Brilliant.they were simpler times and people seemed happier or easier pleased anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

No
    The Dublin parade is a borefest and too crowded but I think country parades are great fun with quirky floats.

I voted Yes and then we can pack the pubs and outdrink the virus. Cancelling the parades will only create a stupid precedent which will ruin the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭lertsnim

We'll see
    Postpone it to the May bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

We'll see
    Not a chance the parade should go ahead. And why are we still accepting flights from northern Italy...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No
    ZiabR wrote: »
    And why are we still accepting flights from northern Italy...

Because Irish people need to get home?

We'll see
    Loughc wrote: »

Keep them there unless they have a clean bill of health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Loughc wrote:

..... and spread Covid-19 freely amongst us? They should have been put straight into quarantine for 2 weeks.
    Flights to the region should not be operating in any case (imo it it reckless).

Advertisement