Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Sorry folks but if your told to stay home and self isolate as your were in a building that has a confirmed case what happens your family? Do they self isolate as well?

Depends, are you listening to the advice of the HSE or a competent overseas health authority? The HSE to date has basically been issuing letters doing pirouettes of verbal elasticity to make out that family members living in the same house aren’t close contacts. A lady on the street interviewed by prime time last night summed it up: So if I spend 15 minutes with someone somewhere there’s a chance I get the virus, but if I go home the HSE says I won’t give it to my family?

It’s liability arse covering.

If you live with someone who is at enough risk they’ve been sent home, you’re at risk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sorry folks but if your told to stay home and self isolate as your were in a building that has a confirmed case what happens your family? Do they self isolate as well?

Not necessarily. Contact between family members needs to be minimized and the person essentially needs to self isolate within the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

timmyntc wrote: »
    They hardly need to give names of patients, but the town in question, the travel history, the hospital detected in/by.
    All these things would help people make informed and responsible decisions about their travel. But instead we have to wait almost 24hrs after the fact until the information has come out via social media and then the papers pick it up.
    Its ridiculous.

It might even improve the tracing, if locations were made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

jc_wicklow wrote: »
    The four cases of guys who travelled to Italy are in south co Wicklow. Young guys- at least one has been hospitalised

Source?? Because 1 is trinity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hope people don't get alarmed at the number of cases over the next few days. Most of these as elsewhere will be mild cases - severe cold type symptoms. Some will be more severe particularly with underlying problems but again it's following the exact trend of Iran, Italy, Germany...

It's all the same trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

irishgeo wrote: »
    Let's just names and addresses so and they can be lynched or whatever. What difference does the county make. Galway is still huge. Are your going to stop driving through it because of one infection.

The majority of the population is still free of the virus.
    No need to create panic. Some people seem to want that.

Nobody wants to run around with pitchforks and burning torches. And neither am I implying that the public want the names and addresses of anyone that has a confirmed case.

So let's put this into context: you are booked for an elective procedure in a private hospital. Some minor procedure like tooth extraction or laser eye treatment. I feel like you should be aware that there is a case of Covid 19 contained in that hospital. And you can then make the decision as to whether you want to attend for that appointment.

I do not see that as a witch-hunt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Asking for a friend, so if they were in a building yesterday for a few minutes that has now had a case confirmed and is closed for deep cleaning what does my friend need to do, they were told not to come to work and to get tested asap this morning? Thanks

This just bothers me. You are online writing to strangers on behalf of a friend who has gotten proper advice (no doubt from professionals). If someone on here said tell your friend to drink bleach to kill the virus would you have passed that info on? Did they ask you to go to an internet forum? Do you trust strangers above professionals?

Sorry to be harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I hope people don't get alarmed at the number of cases over the next few days. Most of these as elsewhere will be mild cases - severe cold type symptoms. Some will be more severe particularly with underlying problems but again it's following the exact trend of Iran, Italy, Germany...

Sure the panic and alarm has already started with 13 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

RTE has now confirmed the Trinity case.

They aren't confirming a new case - this may be a connection with Trinity coming out of contact tracing.

They should try to be more clear in their reporting and headline writing.
    rte wrote:
    Trinity College Dublin has written to staff and students to inform them that a case of Covid-19 is connected with the campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

YFlyer wrote: »
    They knew about super spenders of the virus before then.

My wife is a Super Spender

• Advertisement

Just down my local Tesco. Jacks roll shelves aren’t empty, but they’re about 2/3 gone. Of course there’ll be resupply, but just noting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This weekend will be interesting. There has been no panic here that anyone can observe on the streets, which is laudable. Maybe if there’s a load of cases tonight that might change. But assuming it doesn’t I’d say this weekend will see a lot of shops cleared out as people catch up to where some of the folks on this thread were being slagged off for being a while ago - going to the shop and actively preparing for a shutdown.

I presume you have some stuff on the shelves you want sold, it's going to get alot more serious but not to the point that people won't go to the supermarket. The bridges aren't going to blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Allegedly there is a high profile TD currently self isolating as their child may have come in contact with someone confirmed to have Covid19...it's kinda obvious if you are following some of the statements by this particular politician

We can't make her taoiseach now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm not concerned about getting it, I've had a nasty hacky cough for weeks now thanks to having toddlers but I'd say I'd be grand.

The grandparents are in the house a lot to mind the kids, I definitely don't want to pass it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I can't believe I'm not going to be told it my neighbour has the virus, but if I have it I have to put a plague cross outside my door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

This just bothers me. You are online writing to strangers on behalf of a friend who has gotten proper advice (no doubt from professionals). If someone on here said tell your friend to drink bleach to kill the virus would you have passed that info on? Did they ask you to go to an internet forum? Do you trust strangers above professionals?

Sorry to be harsh.

Because the hse website is of absolutely no help and im trying to get as much information as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

This. And the majority being mild had been stressed again this morning by both the WHO and Britain’s chief medical officer

The majority of us won’t have symptoms any worse than that flu that floated around in December.

Be careful, wash hands, self isolate if needs be. But there is zero need to panic.

There’s a lot of scaremongering on this thread, it’s a wonder people aren’t terrified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If all of the above is true, then it is truly shocking. They were returning from a red zone for God sake!

Hopefully, he'll be a pariah from this point forward. ****er should be strung up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Gonna hermit it up for the new few weeks, have a bad feeling this thing hasn't even taken off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

jarvis wrote: »
    My wife is a Super Spender

A big spender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭gifted

There's going to be such a lot of cases that after a while it won't even feature as headlines news anymore......think thats what the the HSE and that Holohan chap are waiting for.....be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Sorry to be harsh.

Except the professional advice is wrong. They won't get tested. They can ask, but unless you are symptomatic, no test for you. That's as of yesterday, from a close relative who had a stronger contact with a case than the OP here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭sudzs

volchitsa wrote: »
    The UK (so much better than us, right?) is updating only once a week, which I think is awful. Yet people here are castigating the HSE for not giving hourly updates it seems.

They U-turned on that yesterday, thankfully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Because the hse website is of absolutely no help and im trying to get as much information as possible

Go watch Claire Byrne Live, from last Monday, on RTE Player and it gave advice on self isolation and what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Excellent advice..

I presume you have some stuff on the shelves you want sold, it's going to get alot more serious but not to the point that people won't go to the supermarket. The bridges aren't going to blocked.

So I’ve been here since day 1 of these threads, and all along it has been “X that occurred overseas isn’t going to occur here, go away with you.”

We now have predictable outbreak patterns in a number of countries and also predictable knock on results. Cops in Australia (and other countries) have ended up having to break up knife fights over loo roll. Of course shops will get resupplied, though to your point about bridges not getting blocked... if there’s a quarantine, in an area you will not be able to go to the shops. Government has taken over supplying households in many affected locked down areas. People rush to the shops before that because, well, they don’t trust the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Bambi wrote: »
    Hopefully, he'll be a pariah from this point forward. ****er should be strung up.

Can anyone confirm the rumour that Woodies have sold out of pitchforks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's time to panic now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I hope I get this early - 2 weeks off in March, then immune to enjoy the summer while everyone else is hiding at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Can I ask how reporting confirmed cases is benefitting anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement