Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Bob24 wrote: »
    What I am personally concerned about is that they only country whereby we seem to see a reduction in new cases is China (if we can believe the figures), but many keep forgetting this followed the implementation of super drastic measures to limit propagation.

I fear because of this many countries (including Europe ones) are now getting complacent and thinking they just need to wait for 2 months and new cases will start dropping; which I am not sure is a wise assumption.

Totally agree, China locked things down really quickly. 50 million people quarantined, and they contained it. Without that drastic action it would have been a lot worse. At what point will ireland quarantine? It seems like never, but let's see what the next week brings....

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

This is what China seems to be doing, but it is pulling out all the stops to do that. I really don't see us as having the commitment tbh.

You still have people saying that trying to contain it is a hysterical overreaction. The HSE doesn't seem to particularly care.

The fact that thousands of people are flying in from a heavily infected region shows how poorly this is being handled imo. In no way am I saying that we should overreact as there is no need to as it will be here either way . But I think having no restrictions whatsoever to and from Italy has been a very poor decision as it means we could have more cases in a shorter time frame which will put pressure on an already inefficient health system.

We can’t avoid the virus and I’m not suggesting that we can. However dealing with large numbers of cases in a shorter timeframe is more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Bob24 wrote: »
    What I am personally concerned about is that they only country whereby we seem to see a reduction in new cases is China (if we can believe the figures), but many keep forgetting this followed the implementation of super drastic measures to limit propagation.

I fear because of this many countries (including Europe ones) are now getting complacent and thinking they just need to wait for 2 months and new cases will start dropping; which I am not sure is a wise assumption.

Well in terms of active cases around Europe hopefully we should see some sort of reduction in numbers once those currently active recover in the next week or so given we're less than 2 weeks into this really in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bambi wrote: »
    I've a family member who's immunocomprised and in self isolation but the HSE won't test. In isolation with their family who have two others who would be at risk if they caught this

The two other family members who would be at risk and are waiting to hear if their contact is positive (but the HSE probably wont confirm directly with them)

So you can go f**k yourself with your scaremongering.

That poster was doing the opposite of scaremongering. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

frillyleaf wrote: »
    The fact that thousands of people are flying in from a heavily infected region shows how poorly this is being handled imo. In no way am I saying that we should overreact as there is no need to as it will be here either way . But I think having no restrictions whatsoever to and from Italy has been a very poor decision as it means we could have more cases in a shorter time frame which will put pressure on an already inefficient health system.

There was, in fact, no point postponing the match if they weren't going to attempt to stop the spread of the disease.
    frillyleaf wrote: »
    We can’t avoid the virus and I’m not suggesting that we can. However dealing with large numbers of cases in a shorter timeframe is more difficult.

Everyone could have avoided the virus if all the different countries had pulled their act together. Italy, in Europe, seemed to totally drop the ball, and then their problem became our problem. The response by different countries has been very uneven in its effectiveness. Ireland basically did nothing - it had a little stand in Dublin airport that would had out leaflets if you went up to them. That was the entire scope of our containment policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Christy42

tails_naf wrote: »
    And there's the problem, the official advice was and is way too relaxed. That GP may have spread it to sick and old people, i.e. the most vulnerable. How can they advise he should go back to work without testing is beyond me. Where is the risk assessment, or the foresight?

So if you traveled anywhere in the world and there is a virus in the news anywhere else in the world health workers should self isolate for two weeks? We are going to need a lot more doctors if that is our official policy. If he was there before cases cropped up. Are you going to test all health workers who were in Brazil? They could be a hotspot next. Or what about visiting family in London or Kerry. We need some health workers not to be isolation as well you know.

This doctor is exhibit A of why we don't post personal information. I reckon he will be in for some abuse going forward and this is the type of thing some nutter will take two far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Mav11

Question may have been answered before but, does an infected person have to be admitted to hospital? Home or self treatment option would take pressure off hospital resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

A damn less annoying than people saying 'hysteria' and 'alarmist'.

All the guys from northern Italy will be coming at the weekend. Nobody will be tested unless they present themselves to be tested.

Containment is over, the joke is there was never any containment in the first place.

Correct. There was never any containment.

China made an effort. but how do you contain something you cant see (asymptomatic).

The EU made no effort.

Ireland made no effort.

2020 should be the year that all monies assigned to low priority projects listed in the budget should be redirected into the Health services.

Ireland could make that call today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mav11 wrote: »
    Question may have been answered before but, does an infected person have to be admitted to hospital?

No. Only if very sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You're repeating what everyone knows already.

I have a feeling your stating this over and over again for your "I told you so Moment" post.

Its a Pandemic. Everyone knows its a pandemic.

PANDEMIC.
    Get your PANDEMIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭circadian

Have to say, getting on the 16 instead of literally any other bus this morning was a bad idea. The amount of face covering, coughs and sneezes. Guy behind me is pulling an ocean in through his nose with the sniffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Well in terms of active cases around Europe hopefully we should see some sort of reduction in numbers once those currently active recover in the next week or so given we're less than 2 weeks into this really in Europe.

The number of new daily cases is certainly going up, but I would even bet the number of active case in 2 weeks times will be significantly higher than what we have now. Why would it drop since community transmission is happening at a rather fast pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Christy42

Question may have been answered before but, does an infected person have to be admitted to hospital? Home or self treatment option would take pressure off hospital resources.

It'll vary. I think 80-85% of cases will be mild. I imagine potentially a few more where the person doesn't cop they have more than a slight cough as well. The majority of cases will not require hospital treatment.

not really. 85% of confirmed cases are mild. so most likely could be treated at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ive a temp. Dry cough and tired. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

je551e wrote: »
    Have headache and aches and sore throat but no temperature/cough would that mean it’s definitely not the virus.

Is a temperature and cough key signs?
    Have same. Raging sore throat though. Off work today. One of children sick also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Except the professional advice is wrong. They won't get tested. They can ask, but unless you are symptomatic, no test for you. That's as of yesterday, from a close relative who had a stronger contact with a case than the OP here.

I’m so glad we have the internet, so randomers can save us by knowing better than professionals.

Ive a temp. Dry cough and tired. ****.

Might be time to change them socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

A damn less annoying than people saying 'hysteria' and 'alarmist'.

All the guys from northern Italy will be coming at the weekend. Nobody will be tested unless they present themselves to be tested.

Containment is over, the joke is there was never any containment in the first place.

It's heartbreaking. Like watching a slow motion car crash. The amount of heartbreak this virus is going to bring with it.
    We had an opportunity to stop it but failed at every step.
    Didn't want to 'panic the people' or 'crash the economy'
    Well, we can all watch it crash and burn now..
    I'm disgusted to be honest. Not one official listened to the experts.
    WHO have been banging the aggressive containment drum for a long long time now. Not one person in gov or hse listened.
    Telling a doctor and teacher carry on? Wtf? How on earth is that aggressive containment? And people on here trying too say it was WHO guidelines. Newsflash: it wasn't. We know cause we were paying attention.
    Disgusting. I'm sooooo angry at the it will be grand people. There is now a man in cork fighting for his life, he's in his forties and his crime was trusting those in authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Its a Pandemic. Everyone knows its a pandemic.

Everyone except the WHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Mav11

not really. 85% of confirmed cases are mild. so most likely could be treated at home.

Better stock up on the paracetamol so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland made no effort.

Ireland is going ahead with what amounts to a national Coronavirus party later this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

daheff wrote: »
    Surely the point of quarantine is to stop it getting everywhere??

it's too late, the cases we know of are scattered around the country, not much point now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Correct. There was never any containment.

China made an effort. but how do you contain something you cant see (asymptomatic).

The EU made no effort.

Ireland made no effort.

2020 should be the year that all monies assigned to low priority projects listed in the budget should be redirected into the Health services.

Ireland could make that call today.

Its attitude/policies not money that need changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thats the reality. I have started walking to work this week. In the cold mornings you can see people breath in the air. Scientists have mentioned transmission via aerosols. Our country's climate is ripe for spread.

I think it's the breathing itself that has to be cut out if we want to minimise transmission risks, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Good news - China seems to be emerging from the worst of the epidemic.

It will be interesting to compare their results with how the liberal democracies manage this disaster, when all this is over.
    China’s central province of Hubei – excluding the provincial capital Wuhan – reported zero new cases of coronavirus over 24 hours for the first time during the outbreak.

Elsewhere in China, schools in provinces where there have been no new cases for a number of days, put in place plans for reopening. Qinghai, a northwestern province in China that had reported no new infections for 29 days as of March 5, said it would stagger the start date of different school days from March 11 to March 20, according to a notice posted on an official website on Friday.

Separately, the southwestern province of Guizhou, which reported no new infections for 18 days, had said at the end of February that schools would start from March 16.

From The Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not sure my opinion on the low levels of details released on the movements of confirmed cases. That said I do not approve of the Korean system where everyones complete movements have been released.

That said I rang the trinity gym today and asked straight out if the trinity confirmed case had used the gym.

The response was what was expected and a non answer"we have not received any instructions that the gym has to close".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Totally agree, China locked things down really quickly. 50 million people quarantined, and they contained it. Without that drastic action it would have been a lot worse. At what point will ireland quarantine? It seems like never, but let's see what the next week brings....

In a way it is a global test on governance and crisis management.

In a years time it will be interesting to look at how efficiently or not each government reacted and what their priorities where.

But one initial trend clearly is that the West is prioritising short term economic and individual liberty concerns while Asia seems more concerned about long term survival of society even if it hurts individuals in the short term. We are in a globalised world but IMO reaction to this kind of potential crisis really shows the remaining differences between Western liberalism and Asian Confucianism/conservatism.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Everyone except the WHO.

Thats true.

Everyone : If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

WHO: I dont agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That poster was doing the opposite of scaremongering. :confused:

Bambi should have put 'scaremongering' in quotes. Because it's all very well people saying that we're grand, nothing to worry about when they are unlikely to have a family member die. It's very easy to be glib with other people's lives.

I have actually seen people say 'us young folk have nothing to worry about. This will be a parent killer'.

And it's also pretty fcking stupid too. We have seen people in their 20s with no underlying conditions die from this disease. Sure, that's really unusual, but you certainly can't laugh it off.

I would like to feel that the HSE was given licence to act in such a reckless manner by all the idiots talking about 'scaremongering' in the last few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement