Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Soulsun wrote: »
    100% complete plank.... quite selfish really.

Not really - he followed the advice given to him by the HSE I’m sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

circadian wrote: »
    Have to say, getting on the 16 instead of literally any other bus this morning was a bad idea. The amount of face covering, coughs and sneezes. Guy behind me is pulling an ocean in through his nose with the sniffing.

That's comforting, sniffling has been definitively ruled out as a symptom by WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The WHO have said they won't get fooled again

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Mav11 wrote: »
    Question may have been answered before but, does an infected person have to be admitted to hospital? Home or self treatment option would take pressure off hospital resources.

Home/self treatment is the recommended course for mild cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

it's too late, the cases we know of are scattered around the country, not much point now

Quarantine can be at a town level...doesn't need to just be to stop people coming from infected areas.

Other question.. what prompted HSE to test the community acquired case? They have said they are only testing when certain strict criteria are met ( travel to effected regions, contact with me and infected people. ) So what criteria led this patient to be tested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,701 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can I ask how reporting confirmed cases is benefitting anyone?

Someone asked an expert from the UK this question yesterday and she said that more information, reporting on cases and locations are actually less likely to cause panic and help create more calm ( studies had shown)

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I don't think Irish people will be having knife fights over loo roll,just too laid back for that.
    there isn't much point in quarantines as it will be everywhere, the bridge comment was partly a reference to your username

Brennan’s tho, there’ll be shootings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another disaster unfolding in the Pacific

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-update-latest-live-news-symptoms-cases-global-infection-rate-uk-usa-australia-italy-china-updates

Britons stranded on cruise ship on its way back to California

More than 140 Britons are stranded on a cruise ship off California’s coast amid coronavirus fears. The cruise ship was on its way back to California from Hawaii with more than 2,000 passengers on board when the alarm was raised.

Officials flew test kits by helicopter out to the Grand Princess after the authorities learned that a patient who had died from the coronavirus had previously traveled on the vessel. Some passengers and crew members on board have been showing symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,701 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can I ask how reporting confirmed cases is benefitting anyone?

Someone asked an expert from the UK this question yesterday and she said that more information, reporting on cases and locations are actually less likely to cause panic and help create more calm ( studies had shown)

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's in Dublin City centre now. Hundreds of thousands of people en route into there as we speak.

Today is the day folks. Remember this day. The day Ireland changed forever.

Time to panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The Nal wrote: »
    It's in Dublin City centre now. Hundreds of thousands of people en route into there as we speak.

Time to panic.

What a tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Bob24 wrote: »
    What I am personally concerned about is that the only country whereby we seem to see a reduction in new cases is China (if we can believe the figures), but many keep forgetting this followed the implementation of super drastic measures to limit propagation.

I fear because of this many countries (including European ones) are now getting complacent and thinking they just need to wait for 2 months and the number of new cases will start dropping; which I am not sure is a wise assumption. I think we might soon see different outcomes depending on how counties have managed the situation (and to say it bluntly I am more hopeful about Singapore or Korea than about Ireland or Italy).

This is the crux of the problem and exactly why this feels far more disconcerting than it should. The argument is that China needed this kind of response as the virus had grown out of control. So why not get out ahead of things now to ensure it doesn't get out of control here and these kinds of responses won't be needed. At the other end if eventually, it does get out of control I doubt anyone thinks we can put the kind measures China did in place to then limit and control things as effectively as they have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

daheff wrote: »
    Quarantine can be at a town level...doesn't need to just be to stop people coming from infected areas.

Other question.. what prompted HSE to test the community acquired case? They have said they are only testing when certain strict criteria are met ( travel to effected regions, contact with me and infected people. ) So what criteria led this patient to be tested?

A few days ago the guidance includied testing people who had to be hospitalised with flu like symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bambi should have put 'scaremongering' in quotes. Because it's all very well people saying that we're grand, nothing to worry about when they are unlikely to have a family member die. It's very easy to be glib with other people's lives.

I have actually seen people say 'us young folk have nothing to worry about. This will be a parent killer'.

And it's also pretty fcking stupid too. We have seen people in their 20s with no underlying conditions die from this disease. Sure, that's really unusual, but you certainly can't laugh it off.

I would like to feel that the HSE was given licence to act in such a reckless manner by all the idiots talking about 'scaremongering' in the last few weeks.

The poster he quoted wasn’t being glib, IMO. He said that people should follow all the precautions so he was hardly laughing it off. That’s all anyone can do. Immunocompromised people are at risk but it’s just another to watch out for rather than get alarmed about. Most immunocompromised people will have good habits already learned for protecting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Asia is seems more concerned about long term survival of society even if it hurts individuals in the short term.

Hyperbole. The long term survival of society is not at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd like to think that when this is all calmed down that the shortcomings of the HSE, which we have been aware of for decades, is finally addressed. Given how we've behaved since the 2008 crash I have my concerns.

The slow reaction, poor communication(its a fake letter, no wait it's not a fake letter), lack of testing, lack of capacity, staff returning to work when private companies are asking their staff to self isolate in the same situation.

All of this smacks of bureaucracy, top heavy with management and the fact that we're pissing money on consultants, trying and failing to balance private and public care. Will this change? I'd like to think so, there'll certainly be outcry from he public when all is said and done. They managed to plough on supporting financial institutions after the crash despite public opinion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thats the reality. I have started walking to work this week. In the cold mornings you can see people breath in the air. Scientists have mentioned transmission via aerosols. Our country's climate is ripe for spread.

Nobody has stated what temperature affects the virus , maybe the cold will slow it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why would it drop since community transmission is happening at a rather fast pace?

Because very few active cases in Europe have had time to recover yet, so our recovery rates are extremely low. In another few weeks our recovery rates should have climbed significantly. At the same time, recovery rates in China should have climbed while cases hopefully are significantly dropping off. So Europe will have more active cases than recovered but globally we will hopefully continue seeing a trend of more recovered cases than active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What a tube

No probably on the luas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

bennyl10 wrote: »
    There was someone on here last night saying 70% of is would be infected and 100s of thousands would die, with nothing to baxk it up from anywhere.

No it will likely be millions (wordwide).
    That is the definition of scaremongering.

This is based on the 2% fatality rate that has been widely reported and seems very consistent.
    People are going to get this, the vast majority will be fine.

Some, yes some will be sick.

The vast majority will recover.
    BUT

Throwing figures out of nowhere to cause panic, however, is the definition of scaremongering.

Or you could just look at reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If this develops further as looks likely, the key to controlling it will surely lie with the 80% who get relatively mild doses. If these people are strongly advised to lie low for a few days and avoid spreading, that will help greatly. Those who get bad doses will be confined to bed or possibly hospital anyway.

However if that 80% are largely feckless and go about life as normal, when they have mild symptoms then we will suffer .. That seems to be what partly explains growth in Italy. So comes back to HSE, can they give a strong message??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Time to panic.

If it doesn’t make reeling in the years it’s no good.im betting against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Christy42 wrote: »
    So if you traveled anywhere in the world and there is a virus in the news anywhere else in the world health workers should self isolate for two weeks? We are going to need a lot more doctors if that is our official policy. If he was there before cases cropped up. Are you going to test all health workers who were in Brazil? They could be a hotspot next. Or what about visiting family in London or Kerry. We need some health workers not to be isolation as well you know.

This doctor is exhibit A of why we don't post personal information. I reckon he will be in for some abuse going forward and this is the type of thing some nutter will take two far.

He was outed by his own community, not randoners on social media. As it is, given what the HSE has been doing or lack thereof, something like this was always going to happen. He got tested as negative beforeand was obviously told to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Nermal wrote: »

So why lock down so severely you were welding people into their houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First update for the day from South Korea is +309 cases.

They are headed for a record close to or over 1000 for the day.

Big escalation. No death figures yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I just got off my bus to work.
    Man and his two kids all of them with a horrendous whopping cough...spluttering everywhere not a tissue in sight.
    I am not saying they are thick but one of the children was literally licking the f#cking window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Time to panic.

You should get a permanent ban for posting like this...
    Have a word with yourself, its embarrassing reading this tripe..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

iguana wrote: »
    Because very few active cases in Europe have had time to recover yet, so our recovery rates are extremely low. In another few weeks our recovery rates should have climbed significantly. At the same time, recovery rates in China should have climbed while cases hopefully are significantly dropping off. So Europe will have more active cases than recovered but globally we will hopefully continue seeing a trend of more recovered cases than active.

That's exactly my point. Recovery rates should start to go up in the next week or 2 as we haven't really had a full 2 weeks yet within Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Weepsie wrote: »
    Still have to remember that Korea had a large of enough cohort deliberately trying to spread it

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Nermal wrote: »

You are misrepresenting what I said to call it hyperbole.

I am saying their decision making process is driven by long term survival of their societies much more than it is in the West (and thus they prefer hurting individuals in the short term to reduce the probability of the issue going completely out of hands and possibly damaging their societies whereby her immediate individual freedom is prioritised even though it increases the probability of Things going out of hands and hurting Our societies more in the medium/long term).

I didn’t say western societies are about to collapse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement