Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Depends, are you listening to the advice of the HSE or a competent overseas health authority? The HSE to date has basically been issuing letters doing pirouettes of verbal elasticity to make out that family members living in the same house aren’t close contacts. A lady on the street interviewed by prime time last night summed it up: So if I spend 15 minutes with someone somewhere there’s a chance I get the virus, but if I go home the HSE says I won’t give it to my family?

It’s liability arse covering.

If you live with someone who is at enough risk they’ve been sent home, you’re at risk.

So what are the competent overseas saying in relation to the question you quoted compared to the HSE. Because it seems all you did is rant

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

I'm sick today. Coughs, sweats, runyy nose etc. Feels like a cold.
    I would usually go to work with this but should I not?. Hse website doesn't seem to say I shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The Nal wrote: »
    It's in Dublin City centre now. Hundreds of thousands of people en route into there as we speak.

Today is the day folks. Remember this day. The day Ireland changed forever.

Time to panic.
    If it's time to panic, what the hell are you doing in Dublin City centre with hundreds of thousands of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So comes back to HSE, can they give a strong message??

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

daheff wrote: »
    Surely the point of quarantine is to stop it getting everywhere??

I think it’s time we got real about this virus. It is clear from the cases that have already occurred that it can be, and is being spread by people who have it but don’t yet know that they have it. In these cases quarantine is just ‘closing the stable door when the horse is gone’.
    We also should get real about the danger or lack of it. It appears to be no more dangerous than a cold or flu for the vast majority of the population.
    What will probably happen is that most of the population will be exposed to this virus one way or another and most of us will hardly notice it.
    I can’t see much point in quarantine or ‘self-isolation’. You can’t stop infected people from exhaling. All this emphasis on hand washing is mostly just PR by health authorities who have no other useful advice to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Meanwhile around the world!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How so?
    Read about the South Korean cult it seems to be true they were deliberately spreading it seemingly, as well as hiding the names of their members to make tracing infection a nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭Christy42

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    He was outed by his own community, not randoners on social media. As it is, given what the HSE has been doing or lack thereof, something like this was always going to happen. He got tested as negative beforeand was obviously told to go to work.

I am aware of where he was outer but we don't need more people outed about this and blamed. I meant the reaction to him in general shows we are willing to lump the blame on individuals quite heavily.

Since it is in the posts above mine. Except that Korean cult. They need to be arrested for that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I wish rte would get rid of George lee. everytime he reports on the corona virus i feel like jumping into a pool of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would usually go to work with this but should I not?. Hse website doesn't seem to say I shouldn't.
    Maybe show some consideration to other people and stay at home it's a Friday see how you feel on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Ask your employer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

iguana wrote: »
    Because very few active cases in Europe have had time to recover yet, so our recovery rates are extremely low. In another few weeks our recovery rates should have climbed significantly. At the same time, recovery rates in China should have climbed while cases hopefully are significantly dropping off. So Europe will have more active cases than recovered but globally we will hopefully continue seeing a trend of more recovered cases than active.

Globally maybe (although hard to say), but were you not referring to European active cases in your post I commented on? I don’t see how we could have less active cases in Europe in the next few weeks. Infection is clearly happening exponentially so more people are being infected than people recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

This is where I have to questions peoples common sense where they would ask on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How so?

A religious sect deliberately infected themselves then set off throughout Korea on a divine mission to infect as many people as possible. Last I read a minimum of half of all Korean cases are traceable back to this church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ride around on the bus for a while to take your mind off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Ask your employer

It's up to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m glad to hear that this virus is slow to mutate. That’s very encouraging for getting it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Ive a temp. Dry cough and tired. ****.

You may need to be tested for coronavirus

You will need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

• in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus (Who knows at this stage)
    • to a place where there is spread of coronavirus
    Can we all work with the fact that this also includes The East, West and South of Ireland!

The symptoms of coronavirus are:
    • a cough
    • shortness of breath
    • breathing difficulties
    • fever (high temperature)

Meanwhile, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:

• Isolate yourself from other people - this means going into a different, well-ventilated room alone, with a phone
    • phone your GP or
    • emergency department or
    • if this is not possible, phone 112 or 999

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

First update from Germany for the day....+134 cases

There is going to be a massive total in Germany for today. Probably 550+

We are getting close to the point where serious restrictions are going to be introduced in other countries outside of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Have same. Raging sore throat though. Off work today. One of children sick also.

You may need to be tested for coronavirus

You will need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:

• in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus (Who knows at this stage)
    • to a place where there is spread of coronavirus
    Can we all work with the fact that this also includes The East, West and South of Ireland!

The symptoms of coronavirus are:
    • a cough
    • shortness of breath
    • breathing difficulties
    • fever (high temperature)

Meanwhile, PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING:

• Isolate yourself from other people - this means going into a different, well-ventilated room alone, with a phone
    • phone your GP or
    • emergency department or
    • if this is not possible, phone 112 or 999

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Which poster said it’s in Craughwell and took down the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Why was the post about Craughwell school taken down...? Is it because the letter came from the HSE...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Bob24 wrote: »
    Globally maybe (although hard to say), but were you not referring to European active cases in your post I commented on? I don’t see how we could have less active cases in Europe in the next few weeks. Infection is clearly happening exponentially so more people are being infected than people recover.

That wasn’t my post. It could easily take 6-8 weeks before Europe’s recovery rates are higher than active cases. That’s a completely uneducated guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

It seems that most European countries have now accepted that that this cannot be contained and believe that a substantial % of the population (be it 15% or 70%) will be contaminated in the next year or so.

Regardless of how grim this is looking with 100s in intensive care in Northern Italy for example, I do not see any attempts to quarantine large cities and put in measures that could put a proper stop to the spread. If it is not being done now, I am starting to doubt it ever will (and by that point it will be far too late).

I find this really worrying. Our "freedoms" and short-term economic stability is put ahead of the health of the population (especially the vulnerable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Islands during the 1918 Pandemic - The story of the 2 Samoan islands and Tasmania

There may be some benefit to keeping the virus out for as long as is possible.

American Samoa implemented a five-day quarantine for all boats that kept influenza from its shores until 1920. When it finally did arrive, the virus appears to have lost much of its sting and there were no deaths attributed to influenza in a population of more than 8,000.

The main island of Samoa 22km to the northwest, however, lost around a fifth of its population to the pandemic.

A Christian missionary walked from village to village along the coast, taking a hacking cough with him. Within days, people were dying. Within weeks, entire villages had died. Within two months, about 8,500 people were dead - a fifth of Samoa's entire population.

A similar story unfolded on the on the Australian island of Tasmania, which implemented strict quarantine measures for boats arriving on its shores that required all passengers and crew to be isolated for seven days. When the infection penetrated the island in August 1919, medical officers reported that it was a milder infection than that on the mainland.

The death rate on Tasmania was one of the lowest recorded worldwide.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/375404/how-nz-took-influenza-to-samoa-killing-a-fifth-of-its-population
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Islands during the 1918 Pandemic - The story of the 2 Samoan islands and Tasmania

American Samoa implemented a five-day quarantine for all boats that kept influenza from its shores until 1920. When it finally did arrive, the virus appears to have lost much of its sting and there were no deaths attributed to influenza in a population of more than 8,000.

The main island of Samoa 22km to the northwest, however, lost around a fifth of its population to the pandemic.

A Christian missionary walked from village to village along the coast, taking a hacking cough with him. Within days, people were dying. Within weeks, entire villages had died. Within two months, about 8,500 people were dead - a fifth of Samoa's entire population.

A similar story unfolded on the on the Australian island of Tasmania, which implemented strict quarantine measures for boats arriving on its shores that required all passengers and crew to be isolated for seven days. When the infection penetrated the island in August 1919, medical officers reported that it was a milder infection than that on the mainland.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/375404/how-nz-took-influenza-to-samoa-killing-a-fifth-of-its-population
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

Cool story bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

What a dikhead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

embraer170 wrote: »
    It seems that most European countries have now accepted that that this cannot be contained and believe that a substantial % of the population (be it 15% or 70%) will be contaminated in the next year or so.

I don't think so at all.

But I think the figures out of Germany today are going to frighten people. The sun is barely up and they already have 134 new cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If this develops further as looks likely, the key to controlling it will surely lie with the 80% who get relatively mild doses. If these people are strongly advised to lie low for a few days and avoid spreading, that will help greatly. Those who get bad doses will be confined to bed or possibly hospital anyway.

However if that 80% are largely feckless and go about life as normal, when they have mild symptoms then we will suffer .. That seems to be what partly explains growth in Italy. So comes back to HSE, can they give a strong message??

Surely the key is that the people who have health issues or bad immune systems should just lock themselves in doors for the virus length and the rest of us can live our lives like normal, if all it's going to be is a cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think it’s time we got real about this virus. It is clear from the cases that have already occurred that it can be, and is being spread by people who have it but don’t yet know that they have it. In these cases quarantine is just ‘closing the stable door when the horse is gone’.
    It might turn out that there is some transmission from asymptomatic people, but right now, based on observations and data from China, WHO believe there little to no transmission from such people. What is probable is that some people with very mild symptoms, go about their daily business and thus, unknowingly transmit the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement