Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Would have to agree I think the HSE attitude has been very much as if things are under control. The economy seems to be put before people's health. The Patrick day parade is a clear example. It's obvious now nobody will turn up as the people have already decided yet they are still faffing around on the matter

The economy seems to be coming before people in a lot of countries, heard some English MP on the TV last night and the way he was talking would turn your stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If not in hospital just wondering where will they be able to access this level of non-acute medical care \ be diagnosed?

At the moment GP surgeries don't seem to be involved in that level of care?

Well you’ll see non-essential GP work stopped in order to deal with the crisis. Same as you’ll see some non-essential surgery stopped for periods of time. Eg someone who is getting non-essential surgery where they’ll need a ventilator for a few days afterward should expect the surgery to be cancelled.

Of course this runs into the difference between how medics and the public categorise things. I’ve had pneumonia and never needed hospital admission, just antibiotics and rest at home - I classify that as a mild illness. If I was sick and needed hospital but wasn’t going to die that’s moderate and if there was a significant change I’d die then it is severe.

I have the sense that most patients think all pneumonia is moderate to severe. In terms of this the professionals and the public are using the same words but speaking with very different understandings of their meanings.

Caveat: I’m sure someone somewhere can nitpick this and find someone who categorises it differently. I’m simply trying to show how medics and the public view and label things differently and how this is hindering understanding at this time.

Hell when I did respiratory back in the day we’d use the term “double pneumonia” for bilateral lower respiratory tract infections in order to communicate that there was an increased risk of death because people would look blankly if you spoke about a bilateral LRTI but would be VERY impressed by “double pneumonia” and respond with - -“ oh I hadn’t realised it was that serious, could s/he die?”

Words have meaning beyond their dictionary definition. This is the basis of hermeneutics. It is why in America and elsewhere there now people whose entire job is to be a science communicator, bridging the gap between the argot of clinicians/scientists and the vernacular of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Medic and his family in Clare are just the first of these cases to come. There is no use blaming him he followed the obviously faulty advice of his employer the HSE.

Why do they not stop flights?
    Why were they not telling returnees to isolate? especially a medic! I know that has changed now but it was clear to me and many on this thread beforehand and they expect us to follow their guidelines they know best.
    God help the frontline staff there, I'd be surprised if there isn't some kickback from them before this is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think they are that desperate to get to Ireland that they will travel to another member state and banning the flights would reduce the numbers significantly.

Head in Sand.

Knex. wrote: »
    And this stuff about fibrosis of the lungs post infection, do we know enough to say that's for severe cases and not the mild & moderate?

Seems a bit mental to me that people who have relatively mild symptoms could be in danger of long term lung damage. Is that notion a bit hysterical, or do we know enough to adequately say?

Hmmm. I am only speaking from my understanding of the disease but the pulmonary fibrosis would be from developing ARDS/ viral pneumonia. This was only discovered via autopsy so these victims obviously died of COVID-19. I would imagine it's only a feature of severe disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

But very slowly apparently. That’s not a big concern.

Is there not evidence of two strains already, an L and an s?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    You know this virus is not flu, right?

Its a combo of SARS/HIV.
    Jesus jumpin christ. It is NOT a "combo of SARS/HIV". You are exhibiting a level of ignorance that is scary, though scarier because you have many equally ignorant bedfellows.
    Im aghast at the lack of info here, the 80% will just get a mild flu... even children with 'no' symptoms have been left with lesions.

ITS NOT THE FLU.
    You're aghast? Yeah, yeah, we get it, it's not the flu and save for a few morons, nobody is saying it is.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Asymptomatic people tend to develop symptoms after the fact - they are presymptomatic not asymptomatic for the lifetime of the illness.
    Again, covered in the WHO report.
    Eh, you really need to up your reading comprehension. These are people who have tested positive for weeks, including many who have flushed the virus from their system, symptom free, or very mild.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

I don't mind, everyone at work here is paranoid out so I'm getting no tasks from management as most didn't come in!.

So I can sit here and watch crap on youtube and post on boards.ie and get paid to do so.

Might have a game of blackjack in a while too online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There you go system is crippled...were at capacity...what's the 20% meant to do...

"He said that while all 13 cases in Ireland are at present being treated in hospital as per European Centre for Disease Control guidelines, “should numbers grow that position will be reversed. The majority can manage the condition at home.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-60-cuh-staff-ordered-to-self-isolate-as-hse-urges-public-to-stop-calling-999-for-information-986091.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

"The most important thing is this is a controllable virus". One of the global leads for the WHO on CNN.

• Advertisement

Its a combo of SARS/HIV.

They have NO idea what are long term effects yet.
    The fibrosis left in the lungs (so far) they think maybe irreversable, but as its so new they dont know that for sure yet either.. hopefully not.

What about the kidney damage? The lesions on the testes? will that have long term effects? They dont know yet.

Right now, they are concentrating on keeping people alive in the short term.
    Much much more to learn about this virus, pretending we know anything about it yet is just silly.

A healthy respect of the unknown and a little more panic might prevent people being complacent. Its not hysteria to be informed and to educate yourself.
    Its not scaremongering to let people know facts, and let them decide.

Im aghast at the lack of info here, the 80% will just get a mild flu... even children with 'no' symptoms have been left with lesions.

ITS NOT THE FLU.

And if there was a little more scaremongering with the politicians to temp check at airports and aggressively contain this virus, it would have saved us a world of stress and pain.

Pulmonary fibrosis is never reversible. It literally means lung scarring. That's the whole reasoning.
    It's not a combo of SARS/HIV at all.

I'm trying to keep a cool head here but cmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Couple of things:

• Lombardy in Italy has a population of roughly double our entire country, Piedmont has about the same population... Italy has more recovered now than in a serious,critical condition.
    • Diamond Princess looks to have no further serious cases or deaths (Still at 34 critical)
    • Iran's total recovered has gone up again (though not sure if those numbers are accurate).
    • South Korea's numbers look bad, but have to be taken in context of that Church running amok. .6% CFR is good news.

Not sure what the point of any of the above is. I'm just rambling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jesus jumpin christ. It is NOT a "combo of SARS/HIV". You are exhibiting a level of ignorance that is scary, though scarier because you have many equally ignorant bedfellows.

He's using the info from some very odd study from India that was debunked weeks ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The economy seems to be coming before people in a lot of countries, heard some English MP on the TV last night and the way he was talking would turn your stomach

It's not as simple as that. What you call putting the economy ahead of people is actually thinking of what's best for people. It's all a delicate balancing act. A recession means all sorts of problems including more pressure on the health services and more poverty. Poverty is a proven world wide killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The post you replied to didn't even mention fear mongering per se. "hype,fear and anxiety" were the actual words used. There's much of it on display here.

I think I will stop reading this thread myself tbh. There's far too much misinformation, speculation, pure bull****, and expectation of way beyond the worst case scenarios that the majority of experts expect.

I will continue to follow the advice and take reasonable precautions. I won't slide into panic and worry over stuff I have no control over. I urge everyone else to do the same.

Whose panicking?

You are getting honesty here as far as I can see. There is no censure - nobody has said anything out of the ordinary.

I actually think boards has provided a good resource here and the information has been good overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Medic and his family in Clare are just the first of these cases to come. There is no use blaming him he followed the obviously faulty advice of his employer the HSE.

Why do they not stop flights?
    Why were they not telling returnees to isolate? especially a medic! I know that has changed now but it was clear to me and many on this thread beforehand and they expect us to follow their guidelines they know best.
    God help the frontline staff there, I'd be surprised if there isn't some kickback from them before this is over.

I don't agree with that I think there's more than enough blame to go around. He's a medical professional ffs how could he have thought that was ok? Regardless of what he was told he should be sacked if he isn't already, along with whoever gave him the adivice and if anyone he's found to have infected dies charges should be brought against him, extreme negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I don't mind, everyone at work here is paranoid out so I'm getting no tasks from management as most didn't come in!.

So I can sit here and watch crap on youtube and post on boards.ie and get paid to do so.

Might have a game of blackjack in a while too online.

or you could get laid off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Eh, you really need to up your reading comprehension. These are people who have tested positive for weeks, including many who have flushed the virus from their system, symptom free, or very mild.

hey! my reading comprehension is fine. I'll have you know I didnt read your link at all because I'm lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

509 new cases worldwide since yesterday
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

tillyfilly wrote: »
    I've read reports from sufferers in affected regions of northern Italy that singing happy birthday to yourself twice while washing your hands has not prevented infection, does it need to be in English to work? Does Any body know if this actually works or is it a hoax?

There is no way anyone can be 100% risk free. Washing your hand for 20 seconds is proven to reduce risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This. We develop an outbreak like Italy here and the country is done.

Simple as that.

Define done? Done with what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

celt262 wrote: »
    I don't think they are that desperate to get to Ireland that they will travel to another member state and banning the flights would reduce the numbers significantly.

That would be the conventional wisdom, but who are we plebs to question our omniscient health minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

A HSE offical when asked by Ivan Yates the other day "What happens if 100 people get sick with Chronavirus?'
    His answer "20% of that 100 will require hospitalisation, so we could just about handle 20 in ICU around the country"

So we may have 250 ICU beds, but anything more than 20 critical patients will tip the system over the edge.

That’s only correct if you assume no actions will be taken to create either
    A. Additional capacity
    B. empty ICU beds ( routine ops etc will start to be cancelled shortly )
    C. All patients admitted to hospital with this will need ventilation - this assumption is incorrect. Less than half of those will need ventilation as opposed to supplementary oxygen, fluids etc

I have explained the maths re: the number of concurrent cases in the community before our number of ventilators gets overwhelmed earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Whose panicking?

You are getting honesty here as far as I can see. There is no censure - nobody has said anything out of the ordinary.

I actually think boards has provided a good resource here and the information has been good overall.

No its been mostly bullsh!t from twitter, personal digs at the HSE, and ridculous speculation from yourself and many others. It does make for entertaining reading though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

- what measures governments take to slow down contagion (currently, a lot less in Europe than in China) There are basically no containment measures being taken in Ireland despite the HSE saying we are in containment mode. We are not, we are in 'wait and see mode'
    - will a cure/vaccin become available? (Unlikely in the short term but who knows and it could fairly quickly solve the issue) Likely 12- 14 months
    - will the virus slow down by itself do to warmer weather or whatever other reason (impossible to predict but that could also be a resolution) We don't get warm weather here for another few months so were screwed if that's what people are waiting/hoping for and even then I don't think it will be warm enough to make any impact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You're aghast? Yeah, yeah, we get it, it's not the flu and save for a few morons, nobody is saying it is.

There are many idiots on this thread for which "It's not the flu!" is the automatic reaction once the flu is mentioned. They don't even read or understand the context of the reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Lads I'm in Spain with 282 cases and 3 deaths, 7 critical ... Ireland has 13, 0 deaths , 0 critical - relax !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MadYaker wrote: »
    No its been mostly bullsh!t from twitter

Quotes please.

Line them up.

Bet you can't.

Whose panicking?

The poster saying it's a combination of SARS and HIV for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Its a combo of SARS/HIV.

Jesus fucking christ. Stop spreading such misinformation. A little knowledge surely is a bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement