Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Again why only people able to read medical literature should be allowed relay it in lay terms.

*chuckle* amen. To be fair though I could imagine a lot of my colleagues just bamboozling people too. I think that’s actually why we need people who are clinicians but are specifically trained in communication to bridge the gap on both sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Ive heard this virus is like the normal flu, but on cocaine and red bull. And drives a early 90s souped up Honda Civic. (Jap import)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

"More than 60 staff at Cork University Hospital have been asked to self isolate following a case of community transmission of Covid-19 at the hospital.

The Health Service Executive’s National Director of Acute Operations, Liam Woods, said steps have been taken overnight including visitor restriction and curtailment of some elective procedures and outpatient services.

He said the hospital will have to adjust services and there will be a redeployment of staff, RTE news reported.

A helpline is available at 1850 24 1850 and is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm and from 9am to 5pm at the weekend and Woods said people should call that if they have inquiries or concerns rather than the 999 or 112 emergency numbers."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-update-latest-live-news-symptoms-cases-global-infection-rate-uk-usa-australia-italy-china-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gozunda wrote: »
    The case for suspending flights to and from northern Italy. 

Dr Carmen Regan - Consultant Senior Lecturer at the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland

https://amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/we-cannot-afford-to-have-an-influx-of-potentially-infected-individuals-obstetricians-plea-39015974.html

It speaks to that most glaring of absences from our Public Service and Political masters.

That of accountability.
    It's far too late now for any gain to be made in stopping the flights.
    But...
    When a virus is spreading, when containment is the stated Government strategy.
    Allowing unrestricted travel too and from known high risk areas?
    Not restricting mass gatherings?

Are not means to contain anything.
    Containment for any future incident must include precluding all but absolutely necessary travel.

The globalisation of our economy and leisure means that we take travel for granted.
    If we look back at the history of virulent outbreak and it's spread.
    We are at a point where in a matter of days spread can be worldwide, versus the old model of westward travel along trade and shipping routes.

This kind of spread can only really be interdicted by firm action. Close entry points and quarantine. It's far easier to apologize for a delayed entry than it is to try recover from a pandemic situation that could have been at least mitigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

tillyfilly wrote: »
    or you could get laid off ?

Won't matter one jot if we are all dead now will it!. :P

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Could ye slow it down a bit at the front please?
    I'm 8 pages back and have been struggling to catch up for the last half an hour.

I started catching up on the thread at 7am this morning. This is where I’m at 00:10!

Perhaps I will be the last poster standing

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Yes, it is.
    Chinese doctors say autopsies of coronavirus victims suggest the deadly illness is “like a combination of SARS and AIDS” that can cause “irreversible” lung damage even if the patient recovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭circadian

I started catching up on the thread at 7am this morning. This is where I’m at 00:10!

Perhaps I will be the last poster standing

Hmmmm

00:10, you're in tomorrow already?! We have no chance of reading this tread if that's the case.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not suggesting total dysfunction\existential threat but this worst case scenario from the UK does suggest considerable strain on the state's ability to function:

https://fortune.com/2020/03/03/u-k-warns-companies-that-20-percent-of-workforce-could-be-out-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/
    British businesses were warned as many as 20% of their workers could be forced to take time off during peak periods of infection if the U.K. is hit by a widespread outbreak of coronavirus.
    As the number of confirmed infections in the U.K. rose to 51, the government published its plan for dealing with the disease. It included an estimate that in a worst-case, a fifth of the workforce — more than 6 million people — could be absent.
    This would have knock-on effects, as others would be forced to take time off to care for those who are ill, or to look after children if schools are closed. Such a peak period of infection would be likely to last around three weeks, the government said.

Yes I’ve been attacked on here for pointing to that same government document regarding the reasonable worst case death toll but even with 20% of the workforce sick at any one time - given that roughly 98% of those will survive - it is NOT an existential threat to the state, human society or our species.

More people are going to die than people on here think but even the reasonable worst case scenario isn’t an existential threat and will be bounced back from over a period of a few years in Ireland. - that won’t be true everywhere in the world but we will bounce back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

"I see too many politicians talking about this. We need to let the experts take the lead'. Cheif from the Diamond Princess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Local parades are cancelling themselves rather than waiting for our half arsed govt and propaganda minister for health to come out with anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's true.

If we had an outbreak like that we would require the type of outside assistance that would effectively end the sovereignty of the country.

We don't have the capacity to deal with what is going on on the continent.

There is no argument to be had here. We just don't. The health system would collapse.

Didn`t that happen after the bailout in 2010? Our grandchildrens` grandchildren will still be paying back the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Useful tip for hand washing :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just got given a talk about the Coronavirus at work.

Washing hands a priority.

No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Serbia reports first case.

Europe is running out of safe havens :P

gabeeg wrote: »
    This is also a massive global recession, a banking crisis, an unemployment crisis and much more besides.

I'm not saying we're done - but this is going to be an enormous challenge

Absolutely. I’ve taken financial steps to prevent that damage hitting me too hard and am holding off moving till next year when I expect house prices to be lower with significantly lower mortgage rates. It will also probably trigger the recession we are due worldwide especially as I have no faith in the current US government’s reaction and think it will hit the US very hard.

But none of the above is an existential threat to us. Painful yes but not existential.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

The virus makes your willy small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Could do with a few inches off, sick of having to strap it to my leg.

circadian wrote: »
    00:10, you're in tomorrow already?! We have no chance of reading this tread if that's the case.

Feck it I’m skipping. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It's true.

If we had an outbreak like that we would require the type of outside assistance that would effectively end the sovereignty of the country.

We don't have the capacity to deal with what is going on on the continent.

There is no argument to be had here. We just don't. The health system would collapse.

So, you've downgraded from us becoming a mad-max style post apocalyptic wasteland to requiring outside assistance to the health system? What's this about sovereignty????

Stop trying to rise panic dude, you have a lot of folks ears, stop being irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MOR316 wrote: »
    And when you cough, it sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of chickens around in a barrel

That's a phenomenal description :D

Awwww is that what they told you to make you feel better about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Job interview for Monday morning cancelled. Position still available but due to virus, interviews and training have been delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

The St Patrick's Day parade in Youghal, Co Cork has been cancelled due to concerns over the coronavirus.

In a statement organisers of the event, Youghal 4 All, said that the health of the community and those attending the parade is its primary concern. It also apologised for the cancellation of the parade.

HSBC Holdings has sent home more than 100 staff in London after a worker tested positive for the coronavirus, the first known case at a major company in Europe's main financial hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Its made its way to Arklow, I feel sorry for the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My only fear really is that your man in cork had it last week so he got it two weeks before that off somebody else who could have passed it onto countless amounts of other people and the HSE don’t really seem all the conferences saying it’s the only community case? There has to be others so cork could easily have a lot of cases now. That or the HSE knows exactly what’s going on but they are keeping stuff and trying not to cause panic, which in my opinion is wrong. Steps need to be taken just Incase. I’d say if there’s a few more community cases in Cork tonight or tomorrow we could see some steps being taken but also maybe not because it’s the HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

suprised the football leagues in France,Spain & Italy are still playing with fans this weekend.

Italy put many Serie A games behind closed doors even at a similar point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The biggest mistake was not banning flights from Northern Italy, and not advising against ALL travel to the region including Ski trips. We've known for over a month about the potential of spread from ski resorts - Brighton example.

Fact is the ski resorts are where relatively wealthy or middle class people gather who also are often well travelled, coming from all regions of the world. Its the perfect place for something like coronavirus to spread unchecked.

And advising for someone to wait until they display symptoms before then deciding to isolate or ring the HSE was another mistake. They can spread the virus long before they show symptoms and will likely have infected many by that stage.

We've reach the stage where we can no longer trace contacts of infected people because of the volume of infected people and the many interactions they had.

If you consider an airline flight from an infected region alone - a 2 hour flight means several interactions such as going to the toilet, touching door and toilet handles, taps, dealing with crew, queing on the ground, security checks, passport checks. Realistically you'd want to follow up with all these contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So, you've downgraded from us becoming a mad-max style post apocalyptic wasteland to requiring outside assistance to the health system? What's this about sovereignty????

Stop trying to rise panic dude, you have a lot of folks ears, stop being irresponsible.

Is he a politician? I thought he was just a random poster on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Local parades are cancelling themselves rather than waiting for our half arsed govt and propaganda minister for health to come out with anything.

This is a very wise and sensible step to take but there should be an official directive to do this on a nationwide basis and not have it left up to individual communities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement