Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭circadian

I read this this comment out to the wife. She smirked wryly. 🀔

She's thinking it can't get any smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

To put it in context Lombardy's population is slightly more than twice that of Ireland so proportionately we have twice the ICU capacity and are adding to it.

Most of our ICU beds are already occupied, heard that this morning on the radio, which means the only extra capacity we’ll have is what is being added....and that’s if they’re not taken by people with other icu needs first....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nothing at all, but there is a big difference from hopping on a 19.99 flight down the road and having to travel 500 miles to another airport to get a flight. The point about containment and delay is making it difficult for people to travel from infected regions. The Chinese have done it really well. Personally I think only a Hubei style isolation of most of Northern Italy is going to solve this. If the Chinese can isolate a province of 50 million, it shouldn't be too hard to do the same in Northern Italy. Its proven to work.

The EU need to take leadership.

Yeah because Italy is a one party totalitarian communist state just like China, oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Unfortunately I feel we are in a new normal, an endemic COVID 19 virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The Chinese have largely contained this with the isolation of a massive province, travel bans and so on.

Meanwhile in Europe we are afraid to impose isolation and travel bans to inspection hotspots for fear of inconveniencing people. Because of this we've probably already lost the battle against Coronavirus and entire countries including probably our own will go into shutdown. Not scare mongering but the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MadYaker wrote: »
    But as things currently stand its just not logical to predict that it'll get that bad.

Why not?

What makes you sure we won't have an Iran or an Italy here?

We have had 13 cases, a bunch of monumental screw ups, and already community transmission...

Yet you reject my opinion of what could well happen here.

Go on then. Tell us why it won't happen here and it will all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Nothing at all, but there is a big difference from hopping on a 19.99 flight down the road and having to travel 500 miles to another airport to get a flight. The point about containment and delay is making it difficult for people to travel from infected regions. The Chinese have done it really well. Personally I think only a Hubei style isolation of most of Northern Italy is going to solve this. If the Chinese can isolate a province of 50 million, it shouldn't be too hard to do the same in Northern Italy. Its proven to work.

The EU do not have the authority or the people to impose a lockdown on a member state.

It's also far too late for that. There are large outbreaks all over the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The US response to this is simply the worst, many states still don't have testing equipment and the primary campaigns are rolling about the country. Other than lads not going licking the same wall they aren't exactly miles off from the Iranians.

Its almost like they want a reason to postpone the election...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

screamer wrote: »
    Most of our ICU beds are already occupied, heard that this morning on the radio, which means the only extra capacity we’ll have is what is being added....and that’s if they’re not taken by people with other icu needs first....

ICU beds and beds in general can be repurposed and freed up by cancelling or postponing non essential operations etc. There's more capacity in the HSE than people think, its not as simple as whats empty. But there is a limit obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The US response to this is simply the worst, many states still don't have testing equipment and the primary campaigns are rolling about the country. Other than lads not going licking the same wall they aren't exactly miles off from the Iranians.

This is what the governor of Missouri tweeted.

Missouri specific:
    • ZERO confirmed cases
    • Nearly 17 people have been tested
    • Testing CAN be done in Missouri
    • Prisons, nursing homes & mental health facilities are a concern
    • Schools are always a concern, but young people to not appear to be as prone #COVID19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The EU couldn't run a boyscout troop was just over on their Facebook pages and they're waffling on about the gender paygap and Gretas visit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I was in a gym class last night and some lad started coughing and you could see people instinctively moving away from him and looking nervous. First time I noticed this reaction. I have myself have started to notice when people start sneezing and spluttering out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Beecher's brook again today on the markets,Oil has fallen,FTSE has fallen,DAX has fallen,CAC has fallen,etc etc.Missing the Micheál O'Hehir commentary for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

The shifting of the Overton window on this thing has been amazing across the four threads. The definition of doom mongering has transitioned from mild flu season to Mad Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Unfortunately I feel we are in a new normal, an endemic COVID 19 virus

And the more people who see it this way the better. Its simply too late globally to taken action.

Next step is Treatments and Vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

harr wrote: »
    I was in a gym class last night and some lad started coughing and you could see people instinctively moving away from him and looking nervous. First time I noticed this reaction. I have myself have started to notice when people start sneezing and spluttering out of them.

Ive always noticed people sneezing and spluttering

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

As has been said before, ICU beds will be freed up by cancelling major elective surgery. That will free up beds immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Wibbs wrote: »
    Reading through this thread there's the very real feeling of some actually getting off on the hysteria, with a few pullin the skeleton outa themselves over it. It's like their lives are so fcuking boring that any excitement ramps them up and this "plague" is a beaut for it. Then again remember when that Garth Brookes fella cancelled his gigs here? Boards went nuts for a while over that non event. The Mob in full flow.

"The Mob is in full flow", that would be an apt title for part V of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes we all need to be more aware. I run from coughers or sneezers and I’m not on bit apologetic for that. People would want to cop on with their filthy coughing everywhere, it’s not acceptable anymore. Times are changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This is what the governor of Missouri tweeted.

Missouri specific:
    • ZERO confirmed cases
    Nearly 17 people have been tested
    • Testing CAN be done in Missouri
    • Prisons, nursing homes & mental health facilities are a concern
    • Schools are always a concern, but young people to not appear to be as prone #COVID19

Nearly 17 people have been tested? Lol
    So is it 16 and a half people? Does the 4/5ths rule still apply in Missouri?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

picture this, you live in ebola soaked Congo and some farts

Agreed, and Trump is not helping - we know denial that it could be a serious problem doesn't work. It didn't work at the start in China or later in Iran nor did it work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yes we all need to be more aware. I run from coughers or sneezers and I’m not on bit apologetic for that. People would want to cop on with their filthy coughing everywhere, it’s not acceptable anymore. Times are changing.

What about the dirt bags who cough phlem into their hands and wipe it on the bus seat then touch the hand rails all through the upper deck and stairs :( there's no educating some people..let's hope none of these scruffs become a "super spreader"

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah because Italy is a one party totalitarian communist state just like China, oh wait!

No-one cares what their government is. Strong leadership shouldn't be exclusive to totalitarian states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

And the more people who see it this way the better. Its simply too late globally to taken action.

Next step is Treatments and Vaccines.

IF we get the treatments right; the vaccine does not need to be gotten as quickly (so the vaccine can be done correctly).

There are treatments out there at the moment being used for the most critical cases (remdesivir and falivivir being two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

OH SH!TE!

NOT CAMEROON AND SERBIA TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

That twitter page is a disgrace, reporting on every single new case in the world, just stirring panic ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed any changes in habits from others or strangers?

The only one I personally noticed so far is that after our indoor football games, nobody seems to be shaking hands anymore. But that was becoming less common even before the virus reached Europe anyway.

Maybe another one I'm actually noticing now that may have always being going on is people coughing into their upper arm.

I’ve noticed less people picking up cigarette butts off the street and smoking them.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I’ve noticed less people picking up cigarette butts off the street and smoking them.

It's class, I've bags full of them myself too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

For all who question why flights are not stopped. EU law apparantly. Lecturer on EU law talking to Ivan Yates on the hard shoulder yesterday. The relevant part is at the start of the interview.

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement