Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TomSweeney wrote: »
    That twitter page is a disgrace, reporting on every single new case in the world, just stirring panic ...

Every single new case is being reported to the WHO.

Countries are issuing their figures directly to the media.

Are they stirring panic or you would rather we just didn't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This is what the governor of Missouri tweeted.

Missouri specific:
    • ZERO confirmed cases
    • Nearly 17 people have been tested
    • Testing CAN be done in Missouri
    • Prisons, nursing homes & mental health facilities are a concern
    • Schools are always a concern, but young people to not appear to be as prone #COVID19

I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognise Missourah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

For all who question why flights are not stopped. EU law apparantly. Lecturer on EU law talking to Ivan Yates on the hard shoulder yesterday. The relevant part is at the start of the interview.

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

Crap link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Knowledge is panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For all who question why flights are not stopped. EU law apparantly. Lecturer on EU law talking to Ivan Yates on the hard shoulder yesterday. The relevant part is at the start of the interview.

Our one trump card, being an island, compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

TomSweeney wrote: »
    That twitter page is a disgrace, reporting on every single new case in the world, just stirring panic ...

They are just reporting the case, it's people who spend too much time obsessing over this that panic or cause panic. Reading too much misinformation/information.

People need to step back and take a break.

Yes it's a big deal but some people are obessessing way too much about it, like it's the only thing that's happening/that will happen in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

nthclare wrote: »
    Typical absolutely typical, but don't worry most of North Clare knows who it is.
    N9 doubt his stupidly and ignorance will not go away with his career in tatters and his lack of professionalism.

I wouldn't wish him to loose his career and legitimacy but he shoul have been aware of the variables involved in his decisions.

From hero to zero as they say.

Hopefully not a whole lot of people will be infected.

In North Clare at the moment people are agitated and pissed off.

He took advice from HSE . It’s not his fault. People are still travelling to Italy for ‘cheap breaks’.

Does being in the EU affect our ability to stop free movement from Italy ? Is that why we haven’t stopped it ? It could be a case we are not allowed to as we are within EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That's not true, we haven't banned flights because WHO dont recommend it. EU law won't stop a private airline cancelling flights anyway, as has already happened.

Member States can reintroduce border controls at internal borders for reasons of public policy or internal security. However, checks at external borders should contribute to ensuring that border checks within the area of free movement are not reintroduced unless they are necessary and proportionate for reasons of public policy etc.

It should also be noted that according to the WHO and others, reintroduction of border controls at internal borders in order to refuse entry is not considered an appropriate preventive (or remedial) measure. Quarantine measures are more appropriate.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Knowledge is panic

Yeah well that poster's argument is bs.

Makes no sense. So the poster would rather not know.

Boards is disappointing me.

Ive always noticed people sneezing and spluttering

Yeah I’m the same. I think most people would move away from someone coughing and not covering mouth when sneezing as it’s gross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

All Chinese restaurants and supermarkets on Parnell street Dublin to remain closed for today, tomorrow and Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

One thing I will say about the virus, is it’s improving my geography knowledge immensely.
    Last week I didn’t know where wuhan, lombardy or cork were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Why not?

What makes you sure we won't have an Iran or an Italy here?

We have had 13 cases, a bunch of monumental screw ups, and already community transmission...

Yet you reject my opinion of what could well happen here.

Go on then. Tell us why it won't happen here and it will all be grand.

Can we have a public announcement in State....

‘People have contracted, are currently contracting and will contract COVID-19...

It’s important to note the vast majority of people are RECOVERING or have RECOVERED , have had mild symptoms or no symptoms associated with this illness’

This is what the governor of Missouri tweeted.

Missouri specific:
    •M
    • Nearly 17 people have been tested

Does that mean they’ve tested 16 & a 1/2 or 16 & 3/4 people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

It's going to be mildly disconcerting watching health care systems that are substantially superior to ours struggle and fail to cope, just as ours is beginning to be tested.

Can we have a public announcement in State....

‘People have contracted, are currently contracting and will contract COVID-19...

It’s important to note the vast majority of people are RECOVERING or have RECOVERED , have had mild symptoms or no symptoms associated with this illness’

What has that got to do with anything?

I just asked that question. But they could get around this saying people flying in from Italy could be quarantined I would have thought

gabeeg wrote: »
    It's going to be mildly disconcerting watching health care systems that are substantially superior to ours struggle and fail to cope, just as ours is beginning to be tested.

Some posters think we will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Lucky we have you to report EVERY SINGLE CASE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

No-one cares what their government is. Strong leadership shouldn't be exclusive to totalitarian states.

Leadership only extends so far in this kind of situation. Two men can have the same skill level but the one with the better tools, experience and advanced planning will do a better job. It is just much easier for them to enact very restrictive measures with consensus quickly than in other countries. They also have advanced planning which is well defined for these types of situations already mapped out with underlying infrastructure that enables them to practically execute on those plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Couple of things:

• Lombardy in Italy has a population of roughly double our entire country, Piedmont has about the same population... Italy has more recovered now than in a serious,critical condition.
    • Diamond Princess looks to have no further serious cases or deaths (Still at 34 critical)
    • Iran's total recovered has gone up again (though not sure if those numbers are accurate).
    • South Korea's numbers look bad, but have to be taken in context of that Church running amok. .6% CFR is good news.

Not sure what the point of any of the above is. I'm just rambling.

Stop misinforming people. Yes there are more cured at this stage then there are in intensive care. However there are approx 2K in hospital now. In Lombardia there are 244 people in intensive care right now. There are 364 recovering at home.

That's 2K in hospital 364 at home. Wonder how many are mild.

We can all use percentages / comparisons to make something sound different.
    Here's a good one.

Of the 1777 people who have the disease currently in Lombary 79% are in hospital

Don't take my word for it. Get out the all calculator.

504771.png

http://www.protezionecivile.gov.it/documents/20182/1221364/Dati+Riepilogo+Nazionale+5marzo2020/a529828b-0bf0-4d5b-ad66-4669d3635a24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why not?

What makes you sure we won't have an Iran or an Italy here?

We have had 13 cases, a bunch of monumental screw ups, and already community transmission...

Yet you reject my opinion of what could well happen here.

Go on then. Tell us why it won't happen here and it will all be grand.

Does Iran even have a public health service? I have no idea what the situation is like in Iran and neither do you.

Italy somehow got landed with a cluster the origin of which is still unknown as far as I'm aware. So since we don't know how the virus arrived in Italy from china im not sure what you're basing your opinion on? You seem to think the same is likely here even though we don't know what happened and it hasn't happened anywhere else, not sure how you arrived at that conclusion with the info we have.

As far as I'm aware, as with most of the EU, all of our cases have originated from Italy. So it seems reasonable to me to think that once the number of new cases in italy peaks and starts to fall then we will gradually see a reduction in cases in europe if community spread can be cotrolled which it clearly can if you look at whats happened in the UK. Yes they are up over 100 cases now but they've had it for months and it's far from out of control. You can see the spread slowing in China already with people supposedly going back to work a week from now. I suspect that this will happen in italy in a few weeks also since the numbers there are far smaller.

So yeah it's scary but I suspect it'll be mostly over in about 2 months. Could be wrong though.

Lucky we have you to report EVERY SINGLE CASE

Yes, i'm a detail orientated frog.

You're lucky to have me.

Very lucky. Not easy getting away from the missus at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

What has that got to do with anything?

It’s got to do with people trying to suggest the Black Death is engulfing our country.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Does Iran even have a public health service? I have no idea what the situation is like in Iran and neither do you.

I do. And I stopped reading here.

Sorry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Canonfan wrote: »
    All Chinese restaurants and supermarkets on Parnell street Dublin to remain closed for today, tomorrow and Sunday.

Wut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

No-one cares what their government is. Strong leadership shouldn't be exclusive to totalitarian states.

The problem is that democracies are hamstrung in this regard due to legalities and are beholding to the electorate so don't want to take tough decision that will make them unpopular. Oh for a benevolent dictator that would not be corrupted!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The virus makes your willy small.

Was phoning the Helpline there, hung up when I read this. Cheers mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I do. And I stopped reading here.

Sorry.

Cop out, I didn't expect much yet I'm still disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And to think people laughed at Josef Fritzl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement