Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

There are many events in North Clare getting cancelled already, in fact two of the cases were at my place of work on Saturday. My boss rang me about it as I was there too. Low risk contact apparently, no advice to self isolate or anything. I would have thought more places would be closed to prevent spread but they got no call from the HSE to do so.

Also regarding the doctor in Clare, apparently he was tested upon returning and nothing was found so he went back to work. If that's true it shows faulty testing equipment, if it isn't, it

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

GM228 wrote: »
    First case reported in the Vatican, I guess there is no divine intervention afterall.

Sh!t :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yakult wrote: »
    They are just reporting the case, it's people who spend too much time obsessing over this that panic or cause panic. Reading too much misinformation/information.

People need to step back and take a break.

Yes it's a big deal but some people are obessessing way too much about it, like it's the only thing that's happening/that will happen in the world.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

There are many events in North Clare getting cancelled already, in fact two of the cases were at my place of work on Saturday. My boss rang me about it as I was there too. Low risk contact apparently, no advice to self isolate or anything. I would have thought more places would be closed to prevent spread but they got no call from the HSE to do so.

Also regarding the doctor in Clare, apparently he was tested upon returning and nothing was found so he went back to work. If that's true it shows faulty testing equipment, if it isn't, it shows the sheer ignorance of the doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It’s got to do with people trying to suggest the Black Death is engulfing our country.

When did anyone say that?

Quote please.

Posters who are of a nervous disposition seem to be looking at posts that don't exist.

They take realism as something they should be afraid of.

There is no need to be afraid of the truth. My generation, this generation, actually concerns me in your/our ability to accept honest appraisal even when you might not like it.

The fickleness of this generation concerns me.

But that is neither here nor there.

Can we get back to the real world please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Yes, i'm a detail orientated frog.

You're lucky to have me.

Very lucky. Not easy getting away from the missus at the best of times.

You dont post details, you post headlines.

But If you see Headlines as details then

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

screamer wrote: »
    Most of our ICU beds are already occupied, heard that this morning on the radio, which means the only extra capacity we’ll have is what is being added....and that’s if they’re not taken by people with other icu needs first....

Yes but operations will be cancelled and efforts will be made to ensure ICU beds aren’t used for anything elective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That's not true, we haven't banned flights because WHO dont recommend it. EU law won't stop a private airline cancelling flights anyway, as has already happened.

Member States can reintroduce border controls at internal borders for reasons of public policy or internal security. However, checks at external borders should contribute to ensuring that border checks within the area of free movement are not reintroduced unless they are necessary and proportionate for reasons of public policy etc.

It should also be noted that according to the WHO and others, reintroduction of border controls at internal borders in order to refuse entry is not considered an appropriate preventive (or remedial) measure. Quarantine measures are more appropriate.

Well that worked out well for us. We know flights from Italy are the number 1 source of our infections. And once an infected person is in the country, you end up with schools being shut down and 60 hospital colleagues being told to stay at home.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

MadYaker wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, as with most of the EU, all of our cases have originated from Italy.

Interestingly its more and more appearing to be the case that Italy's first cases originated from Germany.

I genuinely believe European countries have FAR more cases than any of us realize. It would be helpful to create a Testing to Confirmation ratio T:C and compare countries

T being the amount of testing's a country has complete
    C being the amount of confirmed cases.

quick edit* with Iran's and Belgium's new numbers we now have 100,000 cases of Covid 19 on the planet.

But If you see Headlines as details then

giphy.gif

You clearly have not been reading the thread then.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Canonfan wrote: »
    All Chinese restaurants and supermarkets on Parnell street Dublin to remain closed for today, tomorrow and Sunday.

Could you link to that? Much appreciated.

Panic is a strong sensation of fear which prevents logical thinking.

Expecting this situation to get very bad is not panic. It's a logical deduction based on the facts available.

Buying toilet roil is panic because it's a non-essential; it's a recent invention and we survived for hundreds of thousands of years without it.

Buying actual essentials is not panic ; it's logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

endainoz wrote: »

Also regarding the doctor in Clare, apparently he was tested upon returning and nothing was found so he went back to work. If that's true it shows faulty testing equipment, if it isn't, it shows the sheer ignorance of the doctor.

No it doesn't. Virus clearly hadn't manifested itself yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Wibbs wrote: »
    It seems the WHO aren't reading their own reports(not a shock, they're woefully underfunded). EG the cruise ship the Diamond Princess. The infected cruise ships are a good example of a contained observed spread, infection rate and outcome model as we can look to for the moment. For a start all the people on board have been tested, often more than once. And what do we see? over 4000 people tested, 705 confirmed cases and here's the important part; 392 are asymptomatic. That's over half of those positive tests would go undetected by the carriers themselves and people around them. Oh and how many have died so far? Seven? None were under 60, most were over 80. That's not near a 2% death rate, and remember cruise ships aren't exactly known for 20 something passengers lists, it's overwhelmingly arthritic types playing bridge and shuffle board.

So the WHO are incorrect in stating that the asymptomatic carrier is a myth, because the same WHO have access to the stats on that ship and others.

There's even a wiki page you can confirm the above on.

Good post.

It basically outlines the contradiction between medical imperatives and political imperatives.

I am sure behind closed doors the WHO are much more upfront about the situation. But in public they feel like they have to distort the facts to avoid panicking people and hurting various countries’ sensitivity.

While I understand not everything is always good to tell; I personally think the tendency of national governments and international organisations has been to do it way too much. After a while it just becomes too obvious (as with the very clear exemple you have) and completely counter productive (it breaks trust and makes it even harder to prevent panics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

endainoz wrote: »

Not true, China has reported a high prevalence of false negatives from almost the very start of the outbreak. What is clear is that the Government and HSE seem to have been paying absolutely no attention to what has been happening in China.

The Iranians must have posted on Iranian boards - "it will never happen here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

You clearly have not been reading the thread then.

:cool:

I have. there are no details in any of your posts.

IF the same was done in the Weather Forum you would call it out.

• Advertisement

Yes but operations will be cancelled and efforts will be made to ensure ICU beds aren’t used for anything elective.

Pseudonym is right. I imagine elective surgical, cardiac ICU will be cancelled. This should open up more space in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We don't have enough ICU beds. And we certainly won't have the staff to operate them if it gets to a serious stage.

We need to be realistic and stop listening to HSE propaganda. If they couldn't solve the trolley crisis what hope have they of solving this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

When did anyone say that?

Quote please.

Posters who are of a nervous disposition seem to be looking at posts that don't exist.

They take realism as something they should be afraid of.

There is no need to be afraid of the truth. My generation, this generation, actually concerns me in your/our ability to accept honest appraisal even when you might not like it.

The fickleness of this generation concerns me.

But that is neither here nor there.

Can we get back to the real world please?

All I’m saying is give your immune system a bit of credit- it will be well able for COVID-19 and reports the world over that people are recovered and recovering from generally thankfully mild symptoms is great news- let’s stay positive and get on about our day to day lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

jackboy wrote: »
    The truth is blame will not help to resolve this issue.

Mistakes need to learned from and appropriate solutions put in place as quickly as possible.

Part of learning from mistakes is blame, not for the sake of it but for accountability or it'll keep happening. Its not OK to just say sorry and keep doing what you are doing when people's lives are at stake. I'd like to see some accountability when this is all over, but I'd bet there won't be any

dan786 wrote: »

People need to wise up fast if they think that can't happen here

Meanwhile, is there anyone left who believes Erdogan that Turkey is coronavirus free :confused:

ESa-CouXQAcVHoK?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well that worked out well for us. We know flights from Italy are the number 1 source of our infections. And once an infected person is in the country, you end up with schools being shut down and 60 hospital colleagues being told to stay at home.

Banning flights doesn't work, quarantine does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Hearing people were exposed at a recording of the Blindboy podcast in Clare last weekend. A dreadfully unfunny evening all round for the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We don't have enough ICU beds. And we certainly won't have the staff to operate them if it gets to a serious stage.

We need to be realistic and stop listening to HSE propaganda. If they couldn't solve the trolley crisis what hope have they of solving this one?

HSE propaganda, mother of god. Who are you going to listen to so? I guess you'll be going to someone else if you get sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

100,000 cases worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Stop wasting the valuable space on these threads with inane nonsense.

You can tell the vast majority on this thread want to see the number of cases and track them across the threads. People can discuss the increases/decreases and make observations. You seem hell bent on attacking posters for relaying the information which has zero benefit to the discussion.

1. Irish case/numbers/discussion is top of the list
    2. Rest of the world case/numbers/discussion
    3. Research/reports
    4. Discussion on preparation / general advice / adhoc
    5. Linked issues tied in with the coronavirus outbreak (economic/social fallout)

So far you hardly hit any of those 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement